Rides that might be removed in the next few years

I've photoshopped some photos together of a variation of the pic that CPfan1976 posted. One is with a traditional boomerang coaster (Goliath, Six Flags New England), and a floorless dive coaster (Sheikra, Busch Gardens Tampa). The other one is with a family boomerang coaster (Ben 10 Ultimate Mission, Drayton Manor). I personally think the one with Goliath looks cooler, but I think another family coaster would bring more people to that area, verses if it were only 2 high thrill rides. They both also have Skyhawk and Monster in them. The employee dorms would be moved, the road would be moved, and Cadillac and Turnpike cars would have to be removed. It would definitely bring more traffic through the Blue Streak area, especially if there was the family boomerang. This isn't perfect and the scaling on Google Maps varies from park to park for some reason, but I tried to scale it as best as possible. Remember this is just an idea of what it would look like.

Idea 1:
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/njr140/newroad.jpg

Idea 2:
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/njr140/newroadcopy.jpg

I have to admit, that's a pretty good photoshop.

Last edited by Maverick00,

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Very good photoshopping above. The first one looks so good it almost has to happen.

1. Millennium Force
2. Maverick
3. Top Thrill Dragster

Now where'd all those trees come from? :)

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Hahah That's a good question. ;)

I think we can be reasonably confident that neither Mine Ride nor Gemini is going anywhere for a good long time.

Just thought I would point that out...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Excellent job Rcoaster10. It certainly proves that there is plenty of room for new attractions if they get a little creative. But having that many trees is just overly optimistic ;)

Wow nice job on the photo shop. Actually looks really nice.

RideMan said:
I think we can be reasonably confident that neither Mine Ride nor Gemini is going anywhere for a good long time.

I could see Mine Ride being gone in ten years.

But then again the best source I have is my last name being Cedar. ;)

Last edited by ChrisC.,

Excellent Photoshop work Rcoaster10 (and I'm a graphic designer). I love the idea so much that I want a dive coaster right where you put it. I hope CP officials look at your post. Good use of space.

Good job.

I agree, great photoshop.

I feel the same when it comes to Gemini, but not so much for Mine Ride. I have full confidence that CP could come up with a modern family ride that would grand enough to surpass the current popularity of Mine Ride. And really, that land it occupies is quite pretty (In my opinion), a modern family coaster with appropriate theming, excitement, and visual appeal could be a pretty great investment for the family crowd. Of course, they could always build a new ride without tearing one down, but that doesn't seem to be the trend as of lately.

Last edited by Titandwedebil,

They could. But it is clearly not in their current planning horizon. Both Gemini and Mine Ride have had their wood structures completely rebuilt over the last five years.

By comparison, look at what happened with White Water Landing. Several years before it closed, there was a minor incident and instead of making functional changes to prevent that from happening again, they shut down one of the down-chutes. When part of the mountain collapsed, the mountain was removed. Most telling, when the State of Ohio required all rides to comply with the new fence standard, White Water Landing was the one ride in the park that got makeshift improvements instead of new fences.

When stunts stopped working on Paddlewheel, they never got fixed once the ride's end date was known.

Of course, plans do change. Wildcat got a new elevator this season, just in time for it to be torn down. But most of the time, you're not going to see them invest significant capital into a ride whose days are numbered.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

They had every intention of running Wildcat this season until they realized that Luminosity was never going to work with the coaster right in the way. But you are spot on RideMan, look for the rides in the park that they don't keep up with maintenance-wise *cough *cough, Disaster Transport, *cough

Rcoaster10 said:
I've photoshopped some photos together of a variation of the pic that CPfan1976 posted. One is with a traditional boomerang coaster (Goliath, Six Flags New England), and a floorless dive coaster (Sheikra, Busch Gardens Tampa). The other one is with a family boomerang coaster (Ben 10 Ultimate Mission, Drayton Manor). I personally think the one with Goliath looks cooler, but I think another family coaster would bring more people to that area, verses if it were only 2 high thrill rides. They both also have Skyhawk and Monster in them. The employee dorms would be moved, the road would be moved, and Cadillac and Turnpike cars would have to be removed. It would definitely bring more traffic through the Blue Streak area, especially if there was the family boomerang. This isn't perfect and the scaling on Google Maps varies from park to park for some reason, but I tried to scale it as best as possible. Remember this is just an idea of what it would look like.

Idea 1:
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/njr140/newroad.jpg

Idea 2:
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/njr140/newroadcopy.jpg

Most likely #2. a GIB isn't exactly what CP would add to their coaster collection. Although a Dive Machine could be possible, situated right next to a lake and CF seems to have some type of deal with B&M.

Last edited by Cedar King,

Who cares if Mine Ride got new wood a few years ago...that was just needed maintenance. If it stands in the way of a new, exciting project, I don't think that would stop CP. I'm sure they invested in Disaster Transport to a degree over the last 4-5 years and that is gone. I'm not saying Mine RIde is gone, but it does take up a lot of real estate for a family coaster, it's old and it's a walk-on ride. I remember when White Water Landing was removed, the issue of "valuable real estate" for new development came up by management.

I've been on Pointbuzz for over 12-13 years, and can remember post, after post, after post saying Cedar Point would never remove a major ride. Well, just in the last 5-6 years we have seen White Water Landing, Wildcat, Space Spiral and Disaster Transport all go. I can remember many arguments that Disaster Transport would never leave for a variety of reasons. Anyway, I think it's a safe guess that more rides will follow.

net said:
I've been on Pointbuzz for over 12-13 years, and can remember post, after post, after post saying Cedar Point would never remove a major ride.

There's been a lot of discussion over the years (we're closing in on half a million posts), bringing with it opinions from every conceivable viewpoint. But I don't remember there being a group consensus on this.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I can't see the Mine Ride being around in 2020. A lot of the coasters are starting to get up there a bit. As we look five, ten, twenty years ahead, we're probably going to see at least a few of them gone to make room for the new.

1. Millennium Force
2. Maverick
3. Top Thrill Dragster

Walt: I just meant that in the past when a ride, like Disaster Transport, was mentioned as possibly being removed in the future (or at least someone hoped it would be removed), it was trashed by many, many Pointbuzz regulars that CP is not going to remove a major ride. That is a fact. I'm not talking about a year ago when it was clear the ride was not being taken care of, I'm talking years ago.

Anyway, my point is that it is silly to say that this coaster and that coaster are safe. We have no idea. Mine Ride could be gone in 2014, or last for 20 more years.

I could see Mine Ride leaving soon. Probably in the next 10 years. It just seems like CP could do some more improvement in the back of the park. With Ouimet in charge, I think that there could be a newer, better themed version of CCMR. It has a great plot of land and I think it could be used better.

Another idea of how Kiddie Kingdom could combine with Planet Snoopy. Also, a Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster like the Rugrats Runaway Reptar (shown) could take the place of Kiddie Kingdom. All the rides from Kiddie Kingdom could be moved to the location of the Extreme Sports Stadium. It would be in a great location for parent swap on rides such as GateKeeper, Wicked Twister, Windseeker, and maXair.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/njr140/Planetsnoopy.jpg

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service