Rides that might be removed in the next few years

With Disaster Transport and Space Spiral gone, I think more rides are going to be removed in a few years. Here are some rides that I think are going to be removed in the next 5-10 years.

1. Mean Streak

2. Iron Dragon

3. Snake River Falls

4. All of Kiddie Kingdom

5. Jr. Gemini

The god of speculation

I see all of those staying a while. The only exception is Kiddy Kingdom which I see being connected to become a part of Planet Snoopy.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Yeah, I also see Kiddie Kingdom becoming a part of Planet Snoopy. What's your top 5?

Last edited by buckeyesbrownsindianscavs,
The god of speculation

Ugh. More wish lists from the taer it down club.

The only one on that list that I would consider to be endangered is Snake River Falls...but didn't they just paint that one?

Based on a few interesting noises I have heard recently, I would say the most endangered rides in the park are probably the Calypso, and the Turnpike Cars (which you may recall were originally not expected to last beyond the 1993 season).

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Dave, weren't Calypso and Turnpike Cars rumored to be removed for a new coaster that became Gatekeeper? Obviously that was wrong, are the noises you have heard about a new, not yet announced project?

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I also remember hearing that Calypso and Turnpike Cars were going to be removed to make room for a B&M coaster that was unknown at the time.

^^ Maybe they were actual physical noises coming from those old rides. ;)

Not that I think any of your listed rides are going anywhere, but I've always thought it would be nice to take all those Hamptons from Kiddie Kingdom and redistribute them throughout the park. The idea of having a quick kiddie ride nearby the entrances to the major coasters would go a long way to keep families playing together. A few could go on the concrete pads under Millennium's final turn, another could go near Mean Streaks entrance and so on. The idea would be that Mom or Dad would never have to tread over to one of the kiddie areas to make Jr. happy while the rest of the family is in line for the big kid rides. The bonus to this approach is that it would free up the space on that side of the ballroom.

Speaking of Hampton Kiddie Rides, what's the story behind that manufacturer? They seemed to be all the rage in the mid-70's, but what became of them? I tried to find info on the web, but didn't really come across any real insight. Why no Wiki page? :)

Richie A.

samosuband said:
I also remember hearing that Calypso and Turnpike Cars were going to be removed to make room for a B&M coaster that was unknown at the time.

I remember hearing that too. And I know I've said it before, but I really do think that the area near Blue Streak, Raptor, Calypso, and Turnpike Cars will be the next area of the park to get major updates/additions. After GK, I think that will probably be the worst area of the park when it comes to accessibility, crowds, rides, and use of space. I'll be surprised if the next major addition goes elsewhere.

Last edited by Ride On_17,

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

With new employee housing going up in the near future, I expect that we will see a development where cedars is now and perimeter rode will shift.

Well, I also heard that there was no way CP would put two B&M's that close to each other, but here we have GK and Raptor just a stone's throw away from one another. Guess it was just a rumor!

Building to be removed next: Red Employee dorms by the marina as soon as there is an off-site replacement.

Next 3 rides to be removed IMO, your #2 pick Iron Dragon along with gasp! The CP/LE railroad (there might be an uproar!) and turnpike cars because of my 1st statement/ future expansion of that part of the park.

Note: I don't have any inside info, these 3 just make sense because of that area needing some much needed, long overdue attention.

CP&LE RR is not going anywhere. They just got a new steam train from Disney a few years back.

The god of speculation

Yeah, CP&LE gets LOTS of ridership, and it really doesn't take up much space. The most I'd ever expect to change down the road is possibly moving the track to accommodate whatever, or maybe even the station, but even that I very seriously doubt.

Considering CP & LE RR has been the most popular ride in the park, at least as long as ridership statistics were released to the public, this ride is not going anywhere. The train tracks can always be moved around to make way for new attractions.

Sorry for repeating the same idea in the post above. You beat me to it!

Last edited by arw84,

For those of you who feel Iron Dragon is next, how come? It actually has one of the highest ridership (source: http://rollercoasterfreak.com/Cedar_Point/Ridership.bmp) Plus it's one in...what 2 family coasters left?

In the interview about where coasters come from, it was mentioned that they're trying to look at the "gaps" of the park and fill them in. I believe that the largest gap at the moment are the family attractions.

I don't think they'll remove Mean steak for anything other than a large coaster (which won't be for some time because of gatekeeper, I'd presume). There's been mention of removing the dorms, both by Wildcat's gravesite and by corkscrew. Those two areas seem to be the most plausible locations of future rides (family coaster, dark rides, flat rides, etc.)

I still think they may re-use Pirate ride's building for a new dark family ride. It would be a perfect new family attraction, and they wouldn't have to remove anything except for a storage house and Boo Hill.

Mean Streak was your number 1 ride to be removed? Mean Streak isn't going anywhere that is for sure. They have spent a lot of money retracking it the past few years

I believe the area by Blue Streak is next too. I also like Rihard's idea about distributing the kiddie rides around the park. That would be a very ideal thing to do. If you look at Disney, every section of the park usually has one of those spinning kids rides.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

The noises I have been hearing are the same noises everybody else has been hearing. There has been talk of clearing out the old resort space on the bay side along the perimeter (Cedars), landmark status be damned. Add to that the rumor that Wildcat was already on the chopping block before Luminosity hastened its demise, and it stands to reason that now that the Oceana midway has been incompletely redeveloped, the next logical major expansion would be a parallel midway from the Blue Streak dead end, past the marina gate and connecting back where Wildcat was. Cedars becomes the new alignment for Perimeter Road, eliminating the S curve there, and the new major attraction goes right where the Turnpikes are; the Cadillacs get re-routed.

I don't actually know anything, I am just sort of trying to channel Mr. Decker. I have barely met the man, but I feel like I am getting a feel for his work... 8-)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

That's actually a brilliant idea. Perhaps you just both function on the same brain wavelength. :)

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

I was reading TPO's forum and a lot of guys at TPO think that Corkscrew's days are numbered. What do you guys think?

The god of speculation

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service