Swiss Chalet

Hello and Happy Winter Everyone,

For some reason when I see snow I think of Switzerland. And the people of Switzerland are called Swiss. And there one was a resturnant at Cedar Point called the Swiss Chalet.

I was wondering what type of resturant was this? I remember seeing it there when I was younger but never ate at the place. Of coarse when I was younger and went to Cedar Point the company that my dad used to work for had their company picnics at Cedar Point and supplied the food and pop. There was really no reason to buy food at the park. This was before the picnic area was gated and a person could enter the park through the picnic area anytime that they wanted.

Those were the good old days.

Trent

I remember that as well. I never ate there either but I did eat at a Swiss Chalet in Canada years ago in Windsor. They had great chicken which if I remember correctly was what they were known for. I don't even know if they are still around since I haven't been to Canada in a while either. I don't know either if the one at CP was of the same chain or not. But I do remember the chicken was out of this world. I always had wondered if it was the same chain or not. Maybe some of the "old timers" here can shed some light on it.

Swiss Chalet at the park had nothing to do with the Canadian chain.

The Swiss Chalet restaurant was in the same building that now houses the Joe Cool Cafe. Before the Swiss Chalet the building contained the Cafeteria, something probably dating back to the early days of Cedar Point.

When Swiss Chalet opened the restaurant was completely remodeled with a contemporary (for the 1960's) look. Air conditioning was also added. Food was served from a cafeteria line, which had a wide selection of items with an all you can fit on one plate policy for a flat rate price. It was somewhat like Midway Market is today, but they did not allow you to return to the food line, you had to pile it on the single plate you received.

I often went their with my parents when I was a kid. I remember my parents saying it was a pretty good value. The food from what I remember was about what you would expect from that type of restaurant. Sort of middle of the road with a slight institutional style to it. It was funny watching some people, as they literally built a mountain of food on their plate. Layer upon layer of different food just piled on. I guess they felt they needed to do this to get the most value out of it.

Swiss Chalet is a nice bit of Cedar Point history, but I prefer today's Midway Market.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

We ate at the (Canadian) Swiss Chalet in Hamilton Ontario once, on the way home from CW. And no, it was not the same. (Yes, the chicken was good, but there was a weird sauce - which we ate, but couldnt identify the flavor.- something to Google, I suppose)

But on to CP's Swiss Chalet, and as an old timer (whatever...) I feel qualified to comment! When I worked at the Point I had a girlfriend that was a waitress there. If you've ever wondered what was behind those Georgian-looking doors and columns on the midway side of the convention center building, that was it. (Between Ocean Motion and Joe Cool Cafe.- the tribute to Helen Keller is there now).

Swiss Chalet was the fore runner to Midway Market, I suppose. There was an affordable buffet in there, with things like salad, chicken, roast beef, sides and dessert. The cherry pie was good- Joanie would sneak me a slice. As I remember, the room wasnt very inviting. It had that old pavilion look to it, and I can't recall anything Swiss about it. We're talkin 70's, now, so my memory may be, um... hazy.

I'm not sure when it closed, maybe it's on the timeline here.

But that was it .

Ok, Pete and I were typing at the same time - and ooops- Swiss Chalet was where Joe Cool is now. So, you REALLY old timers- what was the buffet in the convention center building in the 70's. I could swear it was the Swiss Chalet - I remember my friend had a silly song about it. (Oh, this CRS is killin me- sorry folks)

Last edited by CP Mac,

I'm the oldest one here. CP emp '73-'74

I just dug out an old map...

The Swiss Chalet was where Joe Cool Cafe is now. Nust north of that was the Chapel, yes folks, a Chapel, then the Coral Dining Room.

Mac, I think the restaurant in the convention center building was called the Coral Dining Room. I think back in the day it was open to the public but now is just used for group events.

The Swiss Chalet and Coral Dining Room were connected by a hallway that held the restrooms. Not sure if it is still like that as I haven't been inside of Joe Cool Cafe.

That was it, Pete, thank you very much. I'm going to back away now. Where'd I put my foil hat?

I'm the oldest one here. CP emp '73-'74

If memory serves me right, the swiss chalet closed the year that mean streak was built. I worked at the park that year, and remember filling out paperwork in the closed swiss chalet location.

Eather it closed that year or the year before.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

That's correct - 1991 was the final year. Macaroni's opened in 1992.

Last edited by Walt,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Actually if you look at the 1992 map it was Dominics first. It changed to Macaroni's in 1993. My 1969 map is probably the best picture of that area. It's my favorite souvenir map and one of the only ones I've ever taken the time and effort to scan.

<edit>In case anyone was basing their dates on my history page, I just realized it was listed wrong there and have corrected it.

Also, in 1967 $500,000 is spent on building the Swiss Chalet and modernizing the Coral Dining Room. The Chalet is air-conditioned and decorates in unique Scandinavian Motif.

Last edited by Jason Hammond,

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

It was Macaroni's in 1992. The map actually shows several green 6's, but only the one in the Breakers is Dominics.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I didn't know it closed in the 90's, which now starts to put me in that "older" group. Oh my god! When did I wake up and become old?!?

Oh man. If this was around today I can just imagine the heaping pile of layers upon layers of food I would pile onto my plate. Jajhahahahhaha!

"I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks." - Pete Babic (RIP)

"The joint on the site of the old antique cars is the tits." - Jeff Putz

The Swiss Chalet was my family's annual big meal stop when we visited the park. I remember the fun of trying to try all the things that you wanted to try on one plate. I remember my parent's being disappointed when they changed it to Macaroni's (although we did eat there and enjoy it also.)

...and enjoy the rest of your day at Cedar Point, The Am-aaaa-zement park!

This brings back such great memories. I had been to both the Swiss Chalet and the Coral Dining Room, which was, if memory serves correct, a more upscale sit-down restaurant type of establishment. As a kid, though, I much preferred just eating something quicker like a char-burger (over near the Space Spiral) or chicken from the Chicken Patio (over near the old Mill Race).

Now, do any of you remember the Circus Bar in the old portions of the Breakers Hotel? It was themed like being inside a circus tent. As a kid, I always wanted to go in, but parents said no. For some odd reason, they didn't want their kid hanging out in a bar.

I remember the Circus, which was the employee watering 
hole and not open to the public. It was just outside of 
employee gate back by the Tiki Twirl, the Scrambler and 
Jungle Larry's.

Last edited by Dutchman,

Here is a question regarding the 1969 map that Jason Hammond posted. It looked like the only way to get to frontier town (which was only the far back of the park) was by boat or train. Is this true, or is the map not correct?

The boat never stopped in Frontiertown, but yes, back then it was secluded. You could only get there by train or the Frontier Lift cable car.

It wasn't until 1971 when the Frontier Trail opened. Then the Gemini midway opened in 1978 completing the loop.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Dutchman said:

I remember the Circus, which was the employee watering 
hole and not open to the public. It was just outside of 
employee gate back by the Tiki Twirl, the Scrambler and 
Jungle Larry's.

I think the Circus Bar turned into the Employee Rec Center after it was closed to the public. But, it was open to the public in the 60's as it was advertised in a brochure for the park.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service