Saturday, November 1, 2008 - An Engagement Story

All summer long, I've been telling Jamie "We should have one of those caricature drawings done - but they're just so expensive" - and we've never gotten one done. This was all part of the master plan though.

My birthday is on Halloween, and Cedar Point (our favorite place in the world) happens to close around Halloween every year. All of our friends got together for a birthday party for me on Friday the 31st. We stayed at a local campground up by the park.

Then, on Saturday, the plan went into full action. Jamie and another one of our friends went to ride the Magnum, and I faked having a stomach ache so I could go talk to the caricature artist. We had pre-arranged everything, so all we would have to do is walk up and act like we wanted a caricature done, and he'd know what to do.

So after Jamie got off the ride, I asked if we could get a caricature done for my birthday, and all my friends said that they would go in to pay for it (since they are quite expensive) as a birthday gift for me.So we sat down, and had the caricature done. We couldn't see what was happening, but the artist was drawing a picture of me on one knee. He had also hung up signs around his drawing that let the crowd know that it was a surprise and that they should all keep their mouths shut. Many people walked up and saw the sign, and most of the women got this really big smile on their face. Luckily, Jamie was fairly oblivious to all of that.

So then the big reveal came, and we got to see the drawing. It took Jamie a second or two to figure out what was happening, and by the time that she realized and turned around to look at me, I was already on one knee. I had planned to say a few sentences, but for some reason couldn't come up with any words other than "Will you marry me?" She had this look of shock on her face, and I thought that she might cry, but I think I took her completely by surprise and she didn't cry at all. She of course said "Yes" and I then told her that she had given me the best birthday present ever.

The big group of friends who had been my "barrier" to the midway all began to cheer for us, and it was really great. We all went to Famous Dave's for a late lunch to celebrate.

This was, by far, the best ending to a Cedar Point season that I've ever had. Thanks to everyone who was a part of the process. It wouldn't have been possible to pull something like this off without the help of a lot of people, and you can't ever know how much I appreciate all your help and support.

There are a few photos of the big day available here. Hopefully I'll get some more photos up there soon - I've got a lot to go through!

Last edited by Jeff Young,

Jeff Young

Congradulations!!! That is so sweet and creative. :)

"You wanna, you gotta, you hafta hold on, Cedar Point...HOLD ON!"

Congrats!!! What an awesome way to propose!

Season Pass holder since 2006
I <3 HalloWeekends!

Congrats again Jeff. It was nice to see you and Jamie on Saturday.

Congrats!! I always like to hear of people proposing in unique ways! Especially when it involves their passion of visiting amusement parks or riding rollercoasters.

I am thinking of writing Sandusky Register and suggest an article about couple proposing and/or getting married at Cedar Point. I am sure there are quite a few.

I am sure it happens quite a bit... I proposed there, and I know several others who have as well.

Ripcord Crew 2002 / MF Crew 2004

I would definitely consider proposing there for my second marriage. :: evil laugh ::

(The following message is for my wife): Just kidding, honey. I would never even think of such a thing.

Good, she's gone now. Bwah-hah-hah-hah.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

The look on her face was priceless.

Gratz again Jeff and Jamie!

eat. sleep. ride! - Coaster apparel and accessories!

Ride on, MrScott!

I'm glad it went off as planned, even though the little chubby girl almost ruined it. :) Glad I got to play a part in the plan. Congrats again.

This has to be the best executed plan yet.
There was of course, that proposal this year during Halloweekends on the stage under the screen...

Congrats man! That's really awesome. Definitely a unique way of doing it.

We had a proposal on Ripcord a couple of weekends ago. The guy came and told us ahead of time, and we told the video people so they'd be prepared for it. He tied the ring around his wrist with fishing line and held it in his hand and then pulled it out while they were being winched up. It was pretty awesome.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

awwwww thats so cute. congradulations! :-)

So stoked for 2010 :]

-Lizzy

Do you have a brother? (hee hee)

Congratulations! Too cute!!!!

Massive Fannibal and Cedar Point lover!!! Lover of Pennywise 2017!

Your story is now on the Cedar Point blog! :)

Congrats again Jeff & Jamie!

Apparently I didn't say congrats already... so congrats! I got really excited when I saw the new blog haha. One of our own is a celebrity. [nerd] Buzzers unite! [/nerd]

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Celebrity...ha! To be fair, I had told Tony what I was planning and asked if they'd be interested in blogging it - kind of a human interest story. If he and Tyler chose not to put it up, it wouldn't have offended me at all.

I love the title though..."Drawn Together at Cedar Point" - such good wording!

Jeff Young

huhuh...i was crying when i'm reading this story.. i was really really touch..its so romantic and i think i know what jamie felt..

congratulations guys!!..wish you all the best

----------------------------------------------
engagement rings | rings

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service