Other New Additions for 2018

As of right now, no :(

The most dangerous enemy is the one you don't know you have.

And maybe there won't be.

I'm wondering where people got the notion that a brand new interactive Frontier Town was coming complete with a new gate, a passthrough midway, and an infield full of flats and attractions? Wait, I know. It was the result of speculation, wish lists, and finally so much discussion that they came to actually expect it.

Cedar Point promised nothing of the sort. Way back there was a phrase like "big things are coming to Frontier Town." or something. That was it. And likely, what was revealed today is the answer. Sorry for any disappointment. (Not sorry- it was all made up anyway)

And it's big, all right. This will be the midwest's must-ride attraction, the likes of which people have never seen in Ohio. It's a record breaker that will leave most riders gasping for air when it hits the final brake.

If anything we should expect a relocated entrance and a re-built queue (in the infield where it belongs) that will be the size and shape that's needed to accommodate the crowds that will flock to this ride. If anything else is yet to be announced it will be a pleasant surprise, but nothing to count on or be disappointed about.

If you're going to be nitpicky then so will I. "Big things" implies multiple things. "A big thing is coming" would imply one thing. It wasn't baseless speculation, it was realistically inferred from the promotions.

Last edited by TTD6262,

Aw, how did I know someone would bring up the fact that a plural was used. (Was it?)

And ok. There are "things" coming anyway. A trio of bandits. Huge, honking hills. Inversions. Fifteen records broken.

Really, I wasn't trying to be nitpicky. More like realistic while trying to say that if this new ride is it for '18 then it should surely be enough for everybody anyway.

They redid the Gemini Midway and made some alterations to Camp Snoopy when they added Pipe Scream & Lake Erie Eagles.

Valravn completely altered that end of the Blue Streak Midway

Gatekeeper resulted in some changes to the Wicked Twister Midway.

Under Ouimet they seem to redo the area around new rides

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

True, that.
With Gemini midway the ride additions were on the inexpensive side, relatively, and adding things to that midway really commanded a refresh of that tired asphalt.
Valravn, by its mere placement allowed for a new path for access and observation. Gatekeeper got a new plaza and entrance.

So maybe there will be a grand new plaza and entrance to the new, stellar attraction, and rightly so. It would be called for. And it's true, we were hip to the changes around Valravn and Gatekeeper right along with the announcement. But I don't think a brand new Frontier Town or a coaster in place of the Antiques will be coming.

Maybe they won't let Mr. Maverick stand over there looking all forlorn and defeated. I noticed last week he's in bad need of a little spit and polish. So maybe that will happen in the off season, too.

I expected other changes to Frontier Town to be announced. I was wrong!

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

Does anyone remember if the Gemini/Blue Streak/Gatekeeper area changes were announces concurrently with the rides or at a later date? Obviously with Gatekeeper the front entrance was announced with it, but I can't remember about the Wicked Twister midway.

I believe wicked twister midway was announced at winter chill out

Brian,Favorite flat: MaxAirFavorite coaster: Millennium Force

If they do connect a new midway, I hope that it incorporates the train vignette that would be right there. Perhaps a chance for more themed interaction between the vignette, the pedestrians and the train. Thinking about these new characters, might we see a new shooting gallery?

I don't think they would have announced additional plans today if that's the case because that would have taken away the spotlight from the main attraction, Steel Vengeance. Cedar point usually always announces additional things in the off season, so maybe that will be some of them. I'm sure there will be SOME upgrades to the surrounding area, just maybe nothing big enough to announce today. I don't see them saying "NEW IN 2018 STEEL VENGEANCE oh and by the way some new seating areas and games!"

I asked the same Reddit user who correctly had the name leaked last week and they said:

"So the area is getting some upgrades, and so is Maverick."

and

"The whole area is getting a new story line too!"

I laughed at them before, but I think it's pretty clear they have a legit source.

They usually announce something at Winter Chill Out right? That's probably where smaller details will be announced.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

If other things are changed, that will happen later. Today was for Steel Vengeance to shine, nothing more. The whole point was to get on that hype train. However, given that every time a new cap ex project is started in an area, the overall area gets "gentrified" to an extent, so I would expect other changes, but nothing crazy. The area already is themed, has sweet shops / live e / etc. I think maybe just update some amenities & spruce stuff up potentially, I'm not expecting anything larger, no reason to.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Yeah, I think it's clear that there will be at least a revamp of the immediate area. The bird's eye rendering shows nothing new, not even a ride sign, so we can safely assume it's not an accurate depiction of what it will look like on opening day. The only question is how far out that revamp spreads.

Brandon

I have never been to Winter Chill Out. May have to load up the family and head down there this time. Sounds like a lot of fun!

So, is there any speculation as to whether Steel Vengeance will be "Early Entry" next year? If so, I wonder if Maverick will remain ER. Either way, I can imagine the "stampede" of crazed patrons at 9:00am. When they reach the split by Matterhorn, which way to go? Frontier Trail or Gemini way? Oh well, I hope they keep Valravn, Millenium Force, and gatekeeper as ER so I can ride them frequently without long lines.

For SV my strategy will probably be the same as it was for Valravn when it opened, wait until mid-season or so and just wait in the line assuming it is early entry.

Local t-shirt store has orders for bright green/yellow shirts with "Steel Vengeance Henry or Billy Bob, or John Pratt, or insert name of choice" printed on them. Not really.

Buckeye122 said:
Looks like Dinosaurs Alive isn't going anywhere for 2018. It's listed as a perk for free admission with a 2018 Platinum Pass.

It's not listed on the Kings Island website, though, and they got the dinos a year before CP.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

I've heard that KI's Dino area was considered as a spot for the return of their Antiques, which everyone seems to think will be the announcement for '18. Current rumor is that they will go in Tower Gardens but I think it's not big enough for a nice ride. Walls have gone up, but that may be in prep for a haunt, and a car ride could easily be done over the off season and not be starting this soon.

If the Dinos were contractually set to expire after so many years it makes sense. I have from a reliable source that '18 is scheduled to be their last year at CP, so they may be done now at KI. And that area would be great for the return of KI's Les Taxis. Not that they'd necessarily use all of it, because it's really long, but it's a nice scenic, shade-filled path. And it would mark it's nostalgic return to Coney Mall.

There's probably all kinds of discussion at some KI-centric fan site, but I ain't going there.

Last edited by RCMAC,

My thinking is that they remove the gift shop and sagebrush sues to open that area up to the train station midway, but relocate the shops of course because, money.

First ride; Magnum 1994

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service