Opening Day 2018

Well - the big day had arrived. I am currently in an overflowing queue for Steel Vengeance. Folks in line are psyched. Looks like nothing else was ready for Early Entry. I saw a few folks waiting for Millennium Force and Maverick and I honestly would have been tempted for some rerides had they been open.

Anyone else here? Should be a crazy day

FunTV has the wait posted at 270 minutes.

After having done many opening days,most at park morning opening and a few just for the last half of the day,just planning on arriving there about 4-5 o'clock. Not really interested in riding Steel Vengeance yet because of the lines. I get my rides in during the season.

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

Folks in line are scrolling the app. Seems like most stuff is still closed, but what is open is a walkon, minus SV.

How accurate is the app usually???

Still in line at SV. Just hit the 2 hour mark. Once 10:00 hit and the Fastlane line opened the standby line came to an absolute standstill.

Cartwright said:
Still in line at SV. Just hit the 2 hour mark. Once 10:00 hit and the Fastlane line opened the standby line came to an absolute standstill.

Damn. This is why I don't like it. It damages the experience for everybody else.

World class parks don't even need line cutting programs. Europa Park doesn't even have a fast lane program, just saying... they just operate as fast as possible to move the standby line and don't bog down their operations with extra seatbelts and procedures, and still have a perfect safety record AFAIK.

I bet everyone on this site is at Cedar Point today. What am I doing? I'm at home working on homework. It's okay because I'll have my own opening day next weekend. Everyone who is at Cedar Point today, have a great time.

I’m with you, Shawn. I’m actually at work all day. However, every opening day I have ever experienced as both a guest and employee never really ran smoothly. A lot of bugs to work out after sitting dormant all off season.

Shawn Meyer said:

I bet everyone on this site is at Cedar Point today.

Wrong! I learned years ago, never go to Cedar Point on opening day. Way too many crazy people on opening day. And they are the first to complain when the day isn't perfect. I'm relaxing at home.

^ Thank you TwistedWicker and Bluestreaker for helping me not feel left out there. I feel better now! I plan on going on Mother's day. She normally doesn't care because she works Sunday's so maybe I'll have a better crowd than today anyway.

GigaG said:
[
World class parks don't even need line cutting programs. Europa Park doesn't even have a fast lane program, just saying... they just operate as fast as possible to move the standby line and don't bog down their operations with extra seatbelts and procedures, and still have a perfect safety record AFAIK.

The Definitive World Class parks on this planet would disagree with you.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I’m with ya I’m grilling at home and chillin. I am interested to hear how the other rides lines are today though esp maverick and if sv makes a difference to the queue.

First ride; Magnum 1994

Parking lots are pretty empty.

The web cams show main lot, soak city and Breakers Lot

Looks like a nice day to be at the park, glad for everyone that is there today. :)

XS NightClub said:

GigaG said:
[

The Definitive World Class parks on this planet would disagree with you.

Except CP didn't even have a line cutting program until fairly recently... nobody seemed to debate their world class status then.

Last edited by GigaG,

Huh?
And is anyone debating the status of this park now over a pass system that is similarly utilized by the most attended parks on the planet?

And btw, life is full of ‘line cutting’ programs. You’re just gonna have to get used to it or pay for the privilege.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

^No, but I'm saying it's unnecessary and a hinderance, especially combined with newer procedures.

Last edited by GigaG,

Unnecessary?

It’s a publicly traded company, the CEO’s job is to maximize shareholder (unit holder) value. It would be virtually criminal if they didn’t utilize revenue generation that is industry standard.

Homework? Isn’t that usually referred to as housework? I’ll be weeding and cutting my grass today too!

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

Your online enthusiast morals are showing ;)

I see what you mean though. However, I've always been worried that FL may disincentivise fast operations in exchange for selling more FL.

Ever seen the video of Blue Streak doing a 20 second dispatch with ride ops riding the running boards? Or Gemini running 3 trains per side with no ability to stack except on the MCBR, something that's unthinkable now? Iron dragon running 3 trains before the last was removed because of "rushed guests"? Or coasters without airgates?

Granted, most of that happened before the line cutting program was introduced, but on the other hand, once you have that program you don't have as much incentive to keep the lines moving as fast as possible.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service