Official: Wildwater Kingdom closing after 2016

And if anyone thinks CF just randomly times announcements, I've got a bridge to sell you.

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

Yeah, there was nothing coincidental about the timing. The WWK closing was announced on a Friday evening after everything for CF's park was announced a day earlier. That's very strategic.

Brandon

I was imaging him saying it in his best officer barbrady voice.

'Nothing to see here, move along.'

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I'm more curious to see what happens with the land after it closes and the purchaser. Nothing on GIS for either counties relating to the parcels just yet. I'm watching closely.

I do hope the movie studio idea doesn't happen however, it just seems so odd of a place to put them here in Ohio, especially at Geauga Lake. If it works, cool, but I don't see how an area with a two lane county road would be very beneficial for a multi million dollar movie production site. However, the company Mr. Schwarz works for seems to be more of a lobbying group than anything tbh.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I wouldn't expect a movie studio on the scale of Parmount or Universal, but I think a smaller studio would be perfect and would work well in the area. And, has there been any new info about the Meijer store that was supposedly going in there? They've gone quiet on that.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I have great memories of Geuaga Lake as well as Six Flags Worlds of Adventure and White Water Kingdom. I have a window sticker from SFWOA on eBay right now if anyone is interested. It is great being older now as I have got to see the rise and fall of that great park and what Six Flags does to the parks it owns. The one thing I never liked about the park is the employees were never happy and were disciplined on bad behavior insetad of being rewarded for good. It made a real difference to the park goer. Try it sometime when you compare employees of Six Flags to Cedar Fair.

Sorry for the mess. Signature under construction.

The best days were 1999 and before. After the 2000 RCT mentality makeover, and the sale of Sea World a year later, things went down hill fast. I wonder if some of the waterslides and equipment will be auctioned off like the ride side.

I bet the slides stay right where they are, like the coasters.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Huh?
The transportable coasters were relocated along with the flats.

There's only one coaster still standing. Big Dipper. If Cedar Fair has a park they can use the slides in, I'm sure they'll move them. If not, they'll probably try to sell them. Whether or not there will be a full blown auction like last time remains to be seen. Dick Knoebel and Jeff Henry bought quite a bit last time. Ironically, some of the stuff Jeff Henry bought at the auction was originally bought from his company. Considering what those 2 bought and the fact that we're just dealing with a water park now, I would think those 2 would be interested if anything was being offered for sale.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

I wouldn't be surprised to see an auction to off load excess merchandise and equipment they deem obsolete enough to have no use in moving it to another park. I doubt anything major would be up on the block. Could go either way though.

Considering it was a generic Cedar Fair waterpark, the merchandise will likely be just transported to other parks. When Geauga lake closed a lot of merchandise with the Geauga lake pricing stickers still on it were seen all over Cedar Fair parks.

A lot of water park equipment can be used at other facilities in the chain as well, I don't think there'd be much to auction off for pennies on the dollar they'd recoup.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

Which is why I mentioned Jeff and Dick. Jeff bought a lot of the water park stuff and Dick bought some small rides, campers, games and Kitchen Equipment.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

With the closing of Wildwater Kingdom, I wonder if this means something will happen with Big Dipper soon? People have been caught trespassing to get close to Big Dipper to the point where if people keep it up, Cedar Fair threatened to tear down the ride, but can they do so anyway? Big Dipper is in poor condition and wouldn't be moveable compared to 2007/2008.

I'm surprised Soak City doesn't take in that tall slide complex. They are the tallest water slides in Ohio, which I'm sure Cedar Point would love to market. Maybe it'll be "New in 2018, Ohio's tallest water slide complex."

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Those slides are terrible. They make me queasy, put a strain on my neck, and the seams scrape your back. I'm not sure they're interested in that if others have mentioned that. I'm sure others have mentioned that. I can't be the only one who has mentioned that?

Last edited by e x i t english,

Looks like none of the slides are going to the waterpark at Michigan's Adventure. Looks like they might get the pool chairs, cabanas and possibly the kids playground stuff.

https://www.miadventure.com/what-s-new/new-for-2017

I was hoping at least the funnel slide would find a new home next year. I think it would make the most sense to send it to CP shores, since they lack anything like that there. And a funnel slide is a staple of a good waterpark. And didn't Knott's remove a similar slide? So that's 2 slides like that which new homes will be unknown. I'm guessing they will sit in storage for 2017 and get new homes in 2018. Or maybe they just plan to auction them or send them to the scrapyard.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Thabto said:
And a funnel slide is a staple of a good waterpark. And didn't Knott's remove a similar slide?

Maybe CF and Knotts doesn't care for Funnel Slides,
I agree they look nice and are at most good water parks. But if they're removing Knotts and not adding to the CPS, maybe they think funnel slides are passé.

They obviously have ridership info and mainentance costs available, or maybe it's to focus on the next generation of attractions instead.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

Still waiting for one of these personally:

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

KI still has a funnel slide, unless it's getting removed too...

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service