Mauer Shone X-Coaster Music Cedar Point 2011?

Because, John, it's always Intamin's fault. Always.

Brandon

JuggaLotus said:
And with the RoS death, it was pretty obvious that the restraints did not properly close and that that patron should not have been allowed to ride. How exactly is that Intamin's fault?

Was there a news report or something that said that the restraint did not close properly? If the restraint wasn't closed properly the software should have picked that up. It is both Intamin and the operators fault because the software didn't pick it up + the operator oversaw the restraint.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

What magic software do you think exists on these rides?

Goodbye MrScott

John

^The software is supposed to make sure that each riders lap-bar is secure against their bodies. If I am not mistaking, that is why on El Toro they have to squeeze the bar down as far as possible. If they don't, they can not dispatch the train.

Pepsi Refresh is saving one coaster at a time: http://pep.si/bTTsfc

*facepalm*

Not also did this thread veer off track

but now its an Intamin bash

coolkid....age? my guess is >14

Ride On!

08- Arcade Mechanic

TT2 laps - 4

Yea sorry coolkid but this "software" does not exist on the older rides you mentioned to my knowledge. The systems that do exist only just started being implemented on the rides. Anything other than that utilize a level of sorts....like on Xcelerator. Other than that, I believe the other "software" that exists is found on test seats that actually tell if a rider can ride before entering the line......which makes FAR more sense and should be the way to do it instead of inconveniencing them at the station.

That being said, I think what makes up the safety aspect of intamins restraints is the double hydraulic locking device. I know they implement it on most (if not all) of their coasters but I'm not sure which flats use it. ALSO, the real problem here isn't so much the restraints as it is the seatbelt. I believe the extreme change in restraint design was due to new guidelines that were set in the industry to prevent future legal issues. Then the real crackdown on belt length started.

As for the cable issues, John pretty much said it. It's not Intamins fault that the cable breaks. If you have any idea on how things wear down over time, then you should realize that these things can happen at any time.....regardless of who builds the ride. Intamin sets the guidelines and gives them to the parks maintenance team. If they so choose to not follow them, then bad costly things are bound to happen sooner or later.

Getting back on topic, no I don't think CP will be getting a Maurer Sohne for 2011.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

It cracks me up that all the intamin lovers are throwing the "everything is intamins fault" smart a** remark out there.

Admit it, they could screw up a cup of coffee. They would try to make a more arrow dynamic sugar cube that woulden't produce as much of a splash when it hits the coffee. They tend to overthink things that don't need to be.

With the exception of making a few bigger rides, and a cable lift, what other "pushing the envelope" have they done? Launched coasters have been around for a while, anyone can make a steeper drop. Given the chance, any coaster company could make a taller coaster. They designed the tophat coaster, and they have sold 2. Why? Because they are maintnance nightmares and very pricy.

I remember the days of arrow, when they actualy bult a working model of the ride to make sure it really works, before they started to sell them.

Now, everything is done on computers. So I guess they can use the excuse "it looked good on paper". Maybe they should go back to the old way of doing things. Peoples lifes are in the hands of these things.

Out of all the companys out there, I think B&M has the best built rides that there are. The only people that whine about B&M coasters, are some of the coaster geeks. Some of there rides may be cookie cutter, but look at how many they have sold. There is a reason for that. The general public eat them up. They always have lines, and people love them. Those are the people that matter...not a few crabby coaster geeks.

They also come out with new types of coasters as well, unlike what some people think. They perfected the flying coaster, floorless, inverted, stand ups, dive coasters. They are working on a 4d coaster as we speak. They have low maintanance costs as well.

The dive coasters are a blast. And they do not use cables, or overthought devices. They are simple, and they work.

My point is, intamin has been screwing up almost every ride they build, but no other coaster company has this many issues.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This is a ridiculous argument that truly goes no where when you claim there's sides in this "debate". If you want to hate and bash them whenever that's fine. But I'm going to point out things that may be misconstrued or misunderstood.....given I'm well enough aware of the issue. I enjoy the rides that Intamin builds yet I can make harsh judgements against them as well (like that they DO over engineer things). So I'm not an "Intamin only lover" per say since I still love ALL kinds of coasters.

However, what's transpiring here is that we(the so called lovers) simply try to point out that we understand them and TRY to explain things to you (everyone in general). But some of you don't want to have it. You only perceive that we're solely defending Intamin because they're the only coaster we ride.....or something. Just because one company does things simple and constant doesn't make them 100% better than the others.

And if you want to think that completely redesigning HOW a coaster is launched is NOT innovative then sir I don't know what to say. Saying that the idea of a coaster launching has been around for a while nullifies what Intamin (and by contrast Premier) has done is absent minded IMO.

It's when someone said "HEY, how can we do this differently, quicker and more efficiently?" that things started to be more innovative. If that thought never happened then all we would have would be Schwarzkopf shuttle loopers.....which have not been built since the 1980's. Forget LIMs or LSMs....they wouldn't even be an afterthought.

I have nothing against you crazy just FYI.

What's wrong with anton shuttle loopers?:)

I actualy have more fun on those, than I do any modern launch coaster.

Premier has been doing launched coasters before intamin was even thinking of doing them. However, intamin has gone bigger. The problem is, they need to do more testing before they go and build one. They design it on the computer and assume it's gonna work because the computer says so. That's not how it has panned out in many casses.

Arrow used to build a working model of there coasters before they started to market them. Maybe intamin should do this with there rides as well.

They(intamin) need to do something. Every coaster or ride they have built as of late, has had issues. Even the basic flume ride.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

I think the misconception is that they DO build test models of their prototype coasters. I had a picture of Intamin's first hydraulic launch prototype. Alas, I lost the picture when my computer crashed in January. But that still proves that they DO test ideas. For instance, the ball coaster still hasnt been utilized at a park but they have a working prototype that uses LSMs.

What happens is they experience problems once they introduced the system on a full scale where more problems are obvious to arise. That and they're running far more than the prototype test version did so the parts wear quicker which is something you can only prepare for to a certain extent. After wards it becomes a "How can we fix this new problem that we didn't see in the early test versions and how can we prevent it?" kind of scenario.

Also, I realize that Premier was doing LIM launch coasters before Intamin......that's why I mentioned them. Intamin took the tech and made a grander and more efficient version of what Premier did. By that I mean high speeds, quicker/more powerful launches. That's not to say that Premier wouldn't have done or has already done the same....which they have. Intamin just did their own thing while Premier kinda stayed the route. Which is fine since they build great rides.

And I never said there was anything wrong with the shuttle loopers. :)

Grander...yes...more efficient...no.

Like Intamin or not, you HAVE to admit they have made some absolutely fabulous rides. El Toro, Maverick, Bizarro, Millennium Force, TTD, T-Express, and numerous others. I have so far enjoyed every Intamin coaster that has been built in the last 10 years. SURE, they open late, but they make some great designs. B&M is nothing new imo. They made the inverted coaster but that is about it. A B&M Hyper is one of the most boring things I have ever ridden. Intamin has made the plug and play, Impulse, ZacSpin, etc. Sure they may be maitenance nightmares but they are something different.

Spoken the same words many times, MillieFreak. For all their perceived flaws, there is absolutely no question Intamin has created some of the best rides on the planet. It's a game of risk vs. reward no matter what company you go with.

Just a few CP examples of different rides from different companies...

Magnum? Home Run

Raptor? Home Run

DT? Strikeout

Millenium? Home Run

TTD? Started out a as a foul...than eventually reached first base. Now a solid triple.

Maverick? Home Run

Not a bad track record.

Promoter of fog.

Jr. Gemini: bunt?

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

Um, Home Run! Are you kidding? My daughter loves it...and I rode that ride about 3,000 times between the ages of 2-5. I couldn't wait to get back on this year with our daughter. :) Jr. Gemini rocks.

:)

Promoter of fog.

crazy horse said:Grander...yes...more efficient...no.

It is in design. See you're getting too caught up in downtime. It's a much more efficient means of obtaining the desired speed.....when it works. Even if it doesn't operate 80% of the day, it's still a more efficient system. They went with the hydraulic launch system because at the time, it was a more efficient system with the limited space they had. LIMs and LSM couldn't touch the requirements at that point in time. They could now, but it would be a VERY COSTLY retrofitting.

KevinJ: I only meant that it was so tiny. Hmmmm....should have gone with tee-ball single :)

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

crazy horse said:
It cracks me up that all the intamin lovers are throwing the "everything is intamins fault" smart a** remark out there.

Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black...

Brandon

DT was not a strike out. It has been fairly reliable, and in its earlier years, it had 3+ hour waits consistently. It has held waits over the years and definitely has a cult following.

I love its unique bobsled track, and I always make sure to ride it every single visit at CP. Sorry, Intamin fanboy here defending one of their earlier creations... ;)

Im not really biased on any manufacturer, but Intamin has had problems far more then anyone regarding deaths and design flaws. Major flaws at Cedar Point alone. MF, Maverick,WT,TTD and most recently STR. You cant possibly think that most of these weren't their fault.MF= wheels, 1st turn rehab with the structure. WT new supports on the towers, Maverick had a inline taken out and delayed opening, TTD launch cable shredding and most importantly the famed STR boats being too long.

Retired TL Ride Host 04-09 Miss you Cedar Point!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service