July 31st & August 1st 2013

This was my first trip to Cedar Point since I think 2010. I went with 2 of my friends, one who was a Cedar Point 1st timer. Previously he had only been to Six Flags STL & Six Flags Great America and possibly Indiana Beach so I knew he was in store for a treat. We left Central IL at about 7:45 for the 6 and a half hour drive. Arrived before 4 PM at our Hotel which this time was the Howard Johnson right across from the entrance. I stayed here once before probably 6 or 8 years ago. It did the job for our purposes. Rooms and bed were clean, and the price was right. Nothing fancy but it was all we needed, I would stay here again. We checked in and threw some stuff in our rooms and were inside the Park before 5. It was raining as we were walking in so I was a little worried about the night being a wash out but luckily the rain stopped and it did not rain the rest of the night. 1st we walked to Blue Streak but it was not yet open after the rain so we went on Raptor instead. I noticed the ops were really having a good time cracking jokes and interacting with the guests in the station. Raptor also gets the award from me for best queue line music. A better ride than I remember. After Raptor we went on Blue Streak. It was good but I remember getting more airtime on this? I didn't really get much this time but still a fun ride. Maybe I was in the wrong part of the train? After this we did Maxair. This is one of my favorite flat rides. Next we went on Gatekeeper left side. 20 minute wait. Unfortunately never did get back on it to try the right side. Overall I was pretty impressed with it. Not completely blown away, but it is a great ride. I have the same complaint with it as I do X-Flight at Six Flags Great America and that is that it seems to go too slowly through the inversions. I just want a little more speed overall, especially in those in versions. It just never feels that it really gets going. I think we rode Magnum after this. Row 1-3, probably still one of my top 5 rollercoasters. Such a fun ride. Continuing our way back we rode Gemini which is always fun and then rode Maverick. Maverick was our longest wait of the night at either 45 minutes or one hour, I cant remember how long it took. Really a fun ride, seems the capacity just isnt great on this or I think FastPass really messes it up. My friend who was the Cedar Point 1st timer loved this one, declared it his favorite ride ever up to that point. After this we walked through the Starlight experience and ended with a night ride on Millennium Force. Still in my book the best rollercoaster ever built. I was getting huge airtime on the 3 hills, even more then I can remember. (I cant figure out how these people say they dont get airtime on MF???). While in line we met someone who was riding for the 8,999th time. Not sure if that is the record or what? Does this guy post here?

Day 2 we were not in any huge hurry to get to the park since we got more done than we thought we would have the day before. We arrived at about 10:45 and rode Windseeker 1st. I actually really liked this. I would have liked the ride cycle to be a little longer though. We made our way to Corkscrew and then Dragster. Dragster was a 1 hour wait, and as expected a great ride. We then made our way to Magnum again and to Maverick which was an hour and a half so we decided to skip that. (Maverick had the longest waits both days). Rode Mean Streak instead. Seemed smoother than I remember it! Im not sure if I was in the right seat or what but it wasn't that bad. Got a day ride in on MF. While waiting in line a storm blew through, and it really started to downpour and the wind picked up. We waited it out thinking that the tarps over the queue would give more rain protection than they actually did. They do next to nothing in a downpour. Ended up getting soaked but it was no biggie. Once the rain stopped and it re-opened my friend who elected to ride solo managed to snag the front row by getting paired up with another single rider. Score! I rode 2nd row which for my money is dang near as good as the front row on MF. We went ahead and got in line for Maverick after this rain storm. It started to rain again shortly after we entered the line, but luckily we were able to get into the covered portion of the queue before actually getting soaked again. Seemed like they took FOREVER to get Maverick up and running after the downpour stopped, but we eventually got on. Later we rode Mantis which I found to be rougher and less enjoyable than Mean Streak. Ended the night with a Dragster night ride and a MF night ride.

My one friend was a smoker which did get annoying but I was surprised by how NICE the smoking sections at Cedar Point are. Especially the one down by the lagoon by the entrance to the Dinosaur thing. Such a peaceful area of the park. Very few people down there. If you ever just want a place to go in the park and just sit and relax, even if your not a smoker, I would recommend this section. Its a big area and both times we went down there once we walked around the corner there was NOBODY there. Very peaceful. And they have these rocking type chairs that were actually pretty comfortable.

Other than that no observations, overall a great trip!

I get a nice amount of airtime on MF as well. So I'm with ya on that.

I was there on the 1st as well. It was my first time there, my dad and I flew out all the way from Colorado. We even got the Fast Lane Plus!
But anyway, yeah I was there on the 1st too! That rain was horrible! We were on our way back to the car during the first down pour. We figured since nothing was running it would be a good time to go to the hotel and relax a little for an early dinner. We came back an hour later with new dry clothes and got in line for Millennium Force. Then some kid in line pointed out the rain coming in from the lake. I wanted to wait it out, figuring everybody would get out of line and we'd be in the station soon. But then the lightning started and we had that black metal fence next to us. So we ran out of line and went inside that country restaurant and watched the live show! After that it stayed pretty dry. Such a fun night!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service