Giant Wheel Crew. True or false?

Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:46 PM

Ok, I figure now is the appropriate time to ask this, as the park has yet to open and the Point gestapo cannot yet censor honest answers: Is there any truth to the rumor that single riders are no longer permitted on the Giant Wheel due to a fear that someone is going to off themself by jumping out of the car? I had heard this maybe 2 summers ago and laughed it off, but it appears on its face to have at least some merit. If so:

1. Has this ever happened? How was it prevented? (Assuming it was prevented!) Do people try suicide via amusement ride often?
2. Is there a duty of care imposed upon riders to prevent others in their carriage from jumping out? How is this enforced?

I know this sounds like a joke, but I am asking this 98% seriously. (The other 2 percent of me still feels it is too ridiculous to be true,)

Last edited by cptedsdisciple2, Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:47 PM

"Forgiveness is almost always easier to obtain than permission."

+0
Monday, March 13, 2017 12:13 AM

Yes, it has happened. Not at Cedar Point. I think the latest ferris wheel suicide was at Lisberg, a number of years ago, but I'm not 100% sure.
As I recall, Chance led the way with this by issuing a manufacturer's recommendation that single riders not be permitted on their various models of wheels. Many parks have followed suit, whether they own a Chance wheel or not, and it makes at least a small amount of sense.

I attempted Giant Wheel as a single rider one slow afternoon and was asked to be paired with other riders. No big deal, and I think it's really nothing for you to get in an uproar about.
Your weird take regarding honest answers and "Point gestapo" censorship is ridiculous. The policy is no guarded secret.

+0
Monday, March 13, 2017 2:58 PM

As Team Leader for Giant Wheel, I can provide some insight to this topic. To my knowledge there has never been an incident of that nature at Cedar Point. Cedar Point has implemented and enforces a no single rider policy and also has the cabins equipped with seat belts at the recommendation of manufacturer, state, and internal safety department to ensure that guests are able to ride the Giant Wheel attraction safely. Single riders will be asked to join another party or to have someone join them before riding. This policy is stated on signage around the attraction and in the Ride Policies section of the Guest Assistance Guide available on the park's website. Please feel free to ask any Giant Wheel crew member or visit Guest Services with questions regarding the ride's policies.


3 Years of Fun!
Professional button presser.
Wearer of lime green and blue.

+1Loading
Monday, March 13, 2017 3:13 PM

Last season, a ride operator told my wife the single rider policy had to do with balancing the car. She knew that didn't make sense since they didn't have issues loading double riders on the same side of the car. I happened to be waiting on the back side of the wheel and asked an operator about the single rider policy. She looked sheepish and said "we're not supposed to say this" but it was to discourage suicide attempts. I don't think they want to hide it or make up stories, but they do want to limit the discussion on the subject.

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2021, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service