Cedar Point in 1985

Here is a 1985 broadcast of WKYC's former morning show AM Cleveland. Host Scott Newell shows viewers various parts of the park during the show, including Oceana, Jungle Larry's, Lusty Lil's, Frontier Trail crafts, and more.

http://www.pointbuzz.com/c/amcleveland.aspx

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I remember that special. Too funny on the Gemini part where Scott says CP has "5 roller coasters". Things have really changed. Actually, I think it was 7 coasters, but they did not count Avalanche Run and Jr Gemini at the time. I do miss Jungle Larry's, even though I felt sorry for the animals having to listen to the Corkscrew screams all day.

Wow things have really, really, really changed. It is amazing how many things can change in a matter of two decades!

After watching that it feels kind of sad that all the animals are gone. They definitely looked like something that was unique and entertaining.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

^^^That always made me wonder about that too. Avalanche run, the mystery coaster. I looked up tons of postcards of CP from the past (1960's to 1980's-90's ish) and there were a lot of merchandise showing corkscrew, plenty of Gemini, Blue streak, jumbo jet, wildcat, plenty of Iron dragon, mill race, space spiral, sky ride, western cruise, train, and more. I noticed the videos showed all the coasters in the park at that time in 85, except AR, which was built in '85. Just wondering.:)

It might have been 1984. I'm pretty sure the broadcast was from 1986, but I know it was a repeat.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Wow, good stuff. I enjoyed it. Thanks, Walt.

Wow 1985. The year i was, CP only had 5 coasters! the have almost doubled that in 23 years. I bet they will have 20 sooner than later. Or not they should replace Disaster Transport. But hey that is my opinion.
But any ways. Good stuff Walt thanks. I have always wanted to see something on CP back in the day. Good Job,

MaVeRiCk AnD MaGnUm-XL200
Higher +
Steeper +
Faster =
The Better!

In the 5th video, when did Gemini lose the drop out of the station for the red side? Or am i smoking something over here??..

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

I think your smoking something over there.... lol

Higher +
Steeper +
Faster =
The Better!

Scott Newell is so young! Can't believe he still works there.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

JW Addington said:
In the 5th video, when did Gemini lose the drop out of the station for the red side? Or am i smoking something over here??..

I noticed that too. It seems that the drop is non-existent now and that is the side that really needs it, although it actually approaches the lift lower than the blue train. In cold weather the red train gets to far behind before the lift hill. Last year on several instances they braked the blue train to take speed away as they were dispatching the two trains.

Not until today was I able to see what the park really looked like the year I was born. Amazing how much things have changed, and even more shocking is how fast time flies.

Thanks Walt for that look back!

Owner, Gould Photography.

MaVeRiCk 'n MaGnUm XL said:
Wow 1985. The year i was, CP only had 5 coasters! the have almost doubled that in 23 years.

I think your math is a little wonky.

Whether you use your "5" or the actual number of 7 that existed in 1985, they have more than doubled (17>10 and 17>14).

I do like seeing these nostalgic videos though, even though I didn't start going to the park until 1990, it is kinda cool to see how things used to be. Heck, the park has changed a ton in those 18 years.

Goodbye MrScott

John

85 was my first year working at the park, turnpike cars. the gemini red train "lost" that drop out of the station in 86, i remember when the ride hosts had a meeting with peggy bertsch before the park opened and she mentioned it, she was a ride manager back then.

Thanks Jugga, That would be a my bad. So yea they have more then doubled in 23 years. So do we think they will have 20 in the near future??

Higher +
Steeper +
Faster =
The Better!

I wouldn't bet on it. In fact, I'll make a crazy prediction: Cedar Point has just about as many roller coasters as it will ever have. It might gain another one or two in the next decade, but I'm betting that will be it.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Nice videos, my first year to the point was in 86 (The year of Thunder Canyon).

On a side note, does anyone know were interior pictures or a map of exhibits can be found of the aquarium? I have been trying to find these for some time now. All I remember was a tank with an octopus and one large one with some saw tooth sharks and maybe some barracudas (I think). It was a small, but a nice aquarium.

I am also, looking for the same of the Pirate Ride. I can not find anything on DAFE or LaffInTheDark.

Last edited by Bill2,

I remember the layout almost verbatim - there were penguins in there too! I don't have any pictures but to save everyone a lengthy verbal description message me and I'll see what I can sketch up for you and email it.

Thanks Jay, I owe you big time if you have this :).

Thanks

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service