Cedar point and lake erie railroad

Yeah the RR Vets have been talking about getting a similar whistle for Myron, and maybe even a Pennsy Banshee whistle to use during Halloween haunt. Of course we're still talking about it..........

Just to clarify, we have two trains (red and green), six locomotives ( 4 are operable) and one switch engine. We have been running two trains pretty much everyday since July 4th. Second train is on from noon till 8. Also there is no such thing as a "licensed engineer" to be hired as we do all training in house. We do not fall under the FRA and our boilers are inspected by the State of Ohio. We Do Not meet the requirements to hold a boiler license to operate. However, if you hold a boiler license or a historical boiler license it is helpful as you already know the basics of a boiler. We just have to teach you the locomotive side of it. A couple of us do hold licenses.


CP&LE RR Supervisor/Engineer 04-18

kylepark's avatar

I wonder if the park ever considered rerouting the tracks to the outside of Steel Vengeance, and building a new FT station in the current location of Planning and Design. It would probably be very costly just to eliminate the crossing in front of SV. The first section of Boneville would most likely be gone as well.

The current FT station could be repurposed, placing a few diner cars on the abandoned tracks to create a new restaurant. Just something fun and interesting to think about after the modifications made to the Disneyland RR route from the new Star Wars area.

CP & LE Railroad Rules!

They operated the George R and GA Beackling this season. It was awesome seeing the Porter and Davenport on the rails this past season.

The railroad had issues with the Myron H and Judy K this past year.

Good thing they have them as back ups.

As for the Jennie K, it was sold to someone and they are refurbishing the train so it can go back into operation.

I do wish Cedar Point would allocate more funds to the railroad each year, they don't do it because the CP & LE railroad does not get the big bang for the buck as other investments made into the park each year does.

Just Coasting said:

CP & LE Railroad Rules!

They operated the George R and GA Beackling this season. It was awesome seeing the Porter and Davenport on the rails this past season.

The railroad had issues with the Myron H and Judy K this past year.

I had wondered about that....I love the CP&LE RR, but I've always found it kind of irritating that every ride I took, ended up on Judy K aside from this past year.

I'd love to see the other engines run more frequently.


~chugh43

I agree. While Myron H. & Judy K. are good, I would like to see the park run the other engines from time to time as well.

Also, I would like to see them go back to operating both trains everyday like they used too.

For those of you who are wondering, here’s how it could work.

At park opening until the next shift comes in (normally) 11:30, just run one train. Once the next shift people get settled in, put the other train in operation. Then later on say around 8:00 p.m. (once breaks are done), take the second train out of operation (for the day) and then just run one train for the last 2, or 3 hours (depending on closing time).

Not complaining on the operations part, just kind of irritating when they have both trains to use and only use one.

Last edited by Jake10,

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Pete's avatar

I agree, it would be very nice if they ran two trains for most of the day, every day. It would really improve the transportation aspect of the ride if the wait was reduced at the stations. Anyone remember when the CP&LE RR used to run three trains? I'm not sure how many seasons they did that, but back in the day they had the two train sets with the current passenger cars and they also had a train set with lower and shorter cars that would make up the third train on busy days. The railroad operations were amazing during those days.


I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Pete said:

I agree, it would be very nice if they ran two trains for most of the day, every day. It would really improve the transportation aspect of the ride if the wait was reduced at the stations. Anyone remember when the CP&LE RR used to run three trains? I'm not sure how many seasons they did that, but back in the day they had the two train sets with the current passenger cars and they also had a train set with lower and shorter cars that would make up the third train on busy days. The railroad operations were amazing during those days.

I don't remember that, but would love to see it. I wonder if the ridership numbers could justify doing that again...and what those numbers are.

It's not necessarily an inconvenience for me to wait on a train, especially since I visit often enough, I'm not hard pressed to do everything. However, it's a pain to just barely miss the train as it departs and having to wait for what seems forever for it to make it's way back around.


~chugh43

The problem with the CPLERR, at least these past two seasons, is staffing issues for the engine house, not having enough staff to be able to run two trains on a daily basis.


2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Spit's avatar

From what I remember, the days of three train operation are gone for good. I cannot recall if it was because they shortened the route or eliminated the dual track at the main station. But from what i recall, you cannot just stick a 3rd train on the rails and have it work.


Games - 1989 - Beanbag Toss/Break-a-plate

Spit said:
From what I remember, the days of three train operation are gone for good. I cannot recall if it was because they shortened the route or eliminated the dual track at the main station. But from what i recall, you cannot just stick a 3rd train on the rails and have it work.

Yes, three trains in today’s time wouldn’t work. However two trains would definitely work because one leave main/funway station and the other leaves frontier station at the exact same time and both stations will be clear when they arrive.

Last edited by Jake10,

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

GL2CP's avatar

It reminds me of rct when you open the rr with like 7 trains stacked up. As for The reroute question around steel vengeance there really isn’t much room with the road. I would like to ride the train back that far but the station right there is such a nice location I wouldn’t want to see it go.


First ride; Magnum 1994

When i worked at CP from 85-87, 86 at the giant wheel in its former location, they would run 3 trains on busy saturdays only

GL2CP said:
It reminds me of rct when you open the rr with like 7 trains stacked up. As for The reroute question around steel vengeance there really isn’t much room with the road. I would like to ride the train back that far but the station right there is such a nice location I wouldn’t want to see it go.

Well, yes one would think that about the stacking. However, both stations have a red phone along with the regular phone. The red phone directly calls the opposite station. So say (hypothetically) speaking: I am the in-charge person at Frontier Station, I won’t send my train to main/funway station until my red phone rings telling me they are ready and same proceedure for main/funway station.

Last edited by Jake10,

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Was anyone surprised by ridership number this year? Usually the railroad makes the list. Did CPLER only run one train all season?

When I enter the park I always listen for the train whistle, I can tell which train is operating by the sound of the train whistle. Each train has a very distinct and different sound to each whistle.

When I heard the George R whistle during the fall, I got out of line for Valravn and headed straight back to the train station, couldn't wait to get a ride on the George R!

Tilt-a-Whirl said:
Was anyone surprised by ridership number this year? Usually the railroad makes the list. Did CPLER only run one train all season?

Yes they did most of the times I was there. I went pretty much once each month except for September, and every time only 1 train except the one weekend I was there in July. They had both that weekend but again that was a July Saturday.


Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Just Coasting said:
When I enter the park I always listen for the train whistle, I can tell which train is operating by the sound of the train whistle. Each train has a very distinct and different sound to each whistle.

When I heard the George R whistle during the fall, I got out of line for Valravn and headed straight back to the train station, couldn't wait to get a ride on the George R!

I love when they use George R too. I still remember back to 2011 when I was a platform host; conducting on the back car of George R. I got off once we got to frontiertown station and was amazed by how big the engine was compared to Myron H, Judy K, and G.A. Boeckling.


Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Does anyone have a photo of George R pulling into the Funway main midway station with Elvira on it?

This goes back a good 15 years.

They used to open with two trains every day, but the seasons were shorter and staffing was available. Three trains were operated in the current loop. One train was always moving. Three trains will never happen again as the third set, the two enclosed cars, and the "red" caboose were sold to Hesston. It was decided that two trains making 15 minute rounds could haul just as many people as three trains. Which requires station stops to be under five minutes, ideally 2 and half minutes.


CP&LE RR Supervisor/Engineer 04-18

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2022, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service