Calypso 2011

okay. so this is my first year working at CP and unfortunately I got stuck with Calypso! I'm kinda upset about it cause it's alll the way in the back by blue streak and hardly anybody goes back there:( has anybody ever worked on this ride and if so, what was it like? boring? okay? lonely?
Also do they do ride changes?

Devyn Phillips

Calypso '11

Keep in mind your crew is Calypso/Turnpike Cars. I worked the ride in 09 for 2 weeks and actually worked with your Team Leader while i was there. Both your TL and ATL are amazing. You will hear it a million times on here and when you get to CP but it is defiantly not about the ride it's all about the crew.

The car rides are very relaxed actually, and you may find that you really like it. You will rotate to calypso every half hour so most of your time will be spent at turnpike cars. As far as switching rides if you absolutely hate working it they are pretty good about switching you if you are polite about it and explain why, but go in with an open mind because you never know. At the very least you should end up cross-training for a week or so somewhere else.

Last edited by dtchris08,

2009: Demon Drop/Disaster Transport
2010: Disaster Transport/Wicked Twister ATL
2011: Disaster Transport TL
2012: Millennium Force TL
2013: Top Thrill Dragster TL
2014: Gemini Ride Supervisor

Ditto. The crew is what makes your summer, not the ride. On the more laid back rides like what you're on, you probably have more of a chance to connect with your crew than you do when you're running around checking lap bars as fast as you can. At least that was my experience.

see i would prefer a fast pace ride but then again i wouldn't get to meet and greet with everyone so you guys are definitely right...thanks:)

Vynni♥
Calypso/turnpike cars, MaXair, Disaster Transport '11
maXair '12

I agree with the above posts. Your crew makes it for a good summer, not just your location. To be honest, I liked my crew better in 09 than last year even though I was in a dinky little store inside Hotel Breakers in 09.

I also agree with what Kelly Perrin (TL of Cedar Downs and Cadillac Cars) said in the Cedar Point Park Operation 2011 page. She said : "If you do not like the ride location you have been assigned because it is not a coaster or your ride of preference, do not say that you hate it before you have tried something. The only year I worked on a coaster was my first year and that was five years ago. I actually prefer the smaller rides and was ATL and TL at Demon Drop for two years and this is my second year as TL of Cadillac Cars and Cedar Downs. I chose to work at these for more than one year because I like the smaller setting and you are able to get more interaction with guests. Your ride location and summer will be what you make it. If you go into it with a bad attitude you will hate it. So, just go into it with an open mind." <------ Hopes this helps as well . :)

09' - Breakers Boutique

10' - Emporium

11' - Costume Character (AKA one of the Peanut's Gang)

Thanks everyone this really helped me out:) plus i've met my crew and i absolutely LOVE them:) so this should be an awesome summer. Thanks again!

Vynni♥
Calypso/turnpike cars, MaXair, Disaster Transport '11
maXair '12

One plus of the car rides is that you have a lot more freedom of movement at the ride. You won't be stuck in one position until you rotate. There are definitely more opportunities for guest interaction.

My first year, I had initially wanted a coaster, but found out very quickly that the Cads were a fun place to be. Cedar Downs was another story, at least once they cut down to one person operation.

With a good crew, I think you will find yourself enjoying the location.

2004 - Cadillac Cars/Cedar Downs
2005 - Cadillac Cars/Cedar Downs TL

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service