Akron Beacon Journal Article 9/8/06

I thought I'd post a link to this article. It's nothing special in terms of articles, but it's interesting to see how this guy thinks that if it's not the tallest/fastest/craziest, then it's nothing.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/15468509.htm

Jeff Young

Bob Dyer is a complete idiot.

Wiley
R.I.P. - Idora Park
"Home of the Wildcat & Jack Rabbit"

Seems like someone doesn't like Cedar Point very much. Leave it to the Beacon Journal though. My parents cancelled their subscription to that paper YEARS ago.

OUCH!

Does anyone else find it annoying when people put "the" in front of a coaster's name? For instance, from Bob's article: "Judging by an artist's renderings, the Maverick is essentially a collection of cars that kinda- sorta-almost looks like a steam engine."

Its a proper name, so why put "the" in front of it?

The news story on WWJ yesterday did the same thing with the Maverick & the TTD.

Brandon

Breaking news .Please go to the web cam somthing is happen at the sitie it looks like one of the supports fell .Check it out .Please.

Hope I didnt alarm any one but it look different yesterday when i look at the web cam.

Nothing fell. They're putting up the next section of the drop supports.

halltd said:
Does anyone else find it annoying when people put "the" in front of a coaster's name? For instance, from Bob's article: "Judging by an artist's renderings, the Maverick is essentially a collection of cars that kinda- sorta-almost looks like a steam engine."

Its a proper name, so why put "the" in front of it?

YES!!! Oh goodness, that bugs the junk out of me! It used to be worse too. I would correct people I didn't even know for saying "The Millennium". "The Millennium"? No, that is 1000 years... not a roller coaster. Some people are heavy abusers too...

"After we ride The Millennium, you want to go ride The Skyhawk?" Drives me nuts sometimes, lol.

Mark

I'm just shaking my head at Bob Dyer's article. I think he needs some education, so I Emailed the following comment to him:

"Bob,

Reading your article on Maverick leads me to believe that you know nothing about what makes a coaster a good ride, judging by the fact that you called Maverick an "also-ran". This ride will be pure fun, probably more fun than some of the taller and faster coasters. A slower coaster allows the elements to be tighter and the transitions to be quicker, adding excitement and snappy action to the ride. Super fast or tall coasters need to have longer transitions to keep the G forces at a safe level. Maverick has a very exciting layout that will have non-stop action and excitement. 10 banked turns, 8 airtime hills, a long tunnel, imaginative inversions, two launches and a steeper than vertical first hill will make this an extremely fun and entertaining ride. Why pay 21 million for this ride? Because I think it will turn out to be one of the most crowd pleasing rides in CP's collection, and one of the best investments they have made."

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Ouch. Did this guy get kicked out of the park or something?

"THE Top Thrill Dragster...THE Millennium Force...THE Wicked Twister...THE Magnum! How do you like those apples?!?!?"

There are some newspaper people who wouldn't know a good thing if it was dancing a jig in a clown suit 2 feet in front of them. (For reference, see Terry Lawson in the Free Press).

Goodbye MrScott

John

"And then there was that little episode in the summer of aught-four when some less-than-delighted riders stepped out of their cars covered in blood after being pelted by little pieces of flying metal that were flaking off the ride's launch cable."

Umm, NO! I was there when that happened and that was not the case. They certianly were not "covered in blood." In their on ride photo, those people appeared to be fine like everyone else with their arms waving in the air.

I just hope that the people who read that article don't believe what this guy says about the ride.

2010: TL Millennium Force
2009: TL Iron Dragon | 2008: ATL maXair
2007: Wicked Twister | 2006: maXair
2002-2005: Ride Photo

I kinda wouldn't be surprised if the park contacts the paper over points like that. Its one thing to report something bad that happens, its something else to make up details of the story for the sake of sensationalism.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I did the same thing as Pete did, and emailed him. I let him know how tallest,fastest, and longest doesn't mean it's not thrilling*** Edited 9/8/2006 2:35:48 PM UTC by Rippin***
*** Edited 9/8/2006 2:37:04 PM UTC by Rippin***

Ride-on

^ If you are going to do that, then please don't use words like moron and stupid. Explain to him that he is wrong and why, but don't fall into name calling. Your letter will not be taken seriously.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Isn't that defamation- him saying that those people were covered with blood when they really weren't? I'm no lawyer, but doesn't that constitute a lawsuit?

Maybe this guy worked & got fired from Cedar Point- and he's just holding a grudge.

Edit: I had to change something that wasn't grammarically correct.

*** Edited 9/8/2006 2:42:22 PM UTC by Little Leslie***

"THE Top Thrill Dragster...THE Millennium Force...THE Wicked Twister...THE Magnum! How do you like those apples?!?!?"

It might be libel, but I don't know the requirements for it to qualify. Its not a flat out lie though, just a pretty rich embellishment of what really happened.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Gotcha.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service