8/13/2014 Crowded but awesome day!

Headed for a one day trip to the point yesterday. I like to avoid July and early August but broke my rule and went with a friend yesterday. It was jammed from start to finish. Arrived at 9:30 with our R&R tickets and waited for GP opening at the rear entrance. Started the day with a 1.15 wait for Dragster in the front row. That was the best ride I've ever had on it. They had just gone from eight to nine rows when we got on, so the launch motor was still getting warmed up. Our launch just barely crested the hill (had three rollbacks as we were queueing), so we got a good three seconds to take in the view as the train slowly went over the top.

Walked right on to Magnum in the ejector seat. It always kills my thighs but despite that I simply love the airtime it gives.

Knocked out the 1.45 wait for Maverick. Rode in the back row, it was a stunner as usual. I hate the restraints because they get so tight by the end of the ride that I'm in pain waiting after the break run. Nonetheless, I love the ride and was bummed we only had time to do it once.

I wanted to ride Skyhawk but it had a 30 minute wait being only open on one side and my friend didn't really want to after the cable snapping incident. Passed on it and headed to check the MF wait. It stood at 2.15 so we hit the 20 minute wait for Mantis instead. Normally I really enjoy it and don't feel and pain afterwards. The trim brakes felt like they squeezed a little harder than usual and the whole ride was slow. No pain again, but just a dull ride this time. I don't care either way if its converted, but please dump the trim brakes!

Ate at Midway Market (my first time there) for lunch. Food wasn't that great but we only wanted to eat once in the park so it was the best deal. Raptor has just opened after being closed for high winds in the morning so we hit it in 30 mins. It was over an hour later in the day. Its been running really intense for me this year and I really enjoyed it. My friend didn't want to wait for the front so we rode in row three. No view, but still great ride.

I hadn't been on Blue Streak in several years, so we rode that next. I don't think I'll ride it again. Too bumpy.

Went over near the beach next. My friend didn't want to ride Maxair because he hates spinning rides but I talked him into it and he loved it. Really great ride on the best flat in the park (Skyhawk is awesome too). Gatekeeper was closed all day. They had a crane up to the lift hill so something was wrong. All anyone could tell me was that they sent the crew home. My friend was bummed because he hasn't been on it yet. 30 mins for WT next and it was a sucky ride. We barely went halfway up the tower each time. Seemed like it was running slower all day. Windseeker closed as usual, but it opened around 8 PM. We didn't get the chance to ride it.

We headed back to Millennium Force and saw that the wait was at 1.45 so we went for it. There was two breakdowns and a lap bar got stuck with someone in it as we waited, so it got pushed to 2.45. We finally got up to the back row and it ended up being the best ride I've ever taken on it. I'm firmly in the camp of those who believe it to be the best ride in the world so any wait is worth it to me.

Did another go on Magnum next in the back row. That was even more painful than the ejector seat. I used to really love the ride but it's starting to lose its mojo for me. Really needs new lap bars. MF/Dragster style trains anyone?

I wanted to do Mean Streak to see if I could see it being a great RMC. The ride was utterly terrible but with a great renovation I can see this ranking ahead of everything but MF in ATGT.

We went back to Dragster hoping to be off by 9:45 for one more MF night ride. We waited for row 2 of the first train but would have been better off waiting for row 1 double the line in the station). Every other train had exit pass riders in our row. Got off at 9:55, made a desperate bathroom break, then took a mad dash through the Luminosity crowd and got there at 10:04. The guy let us in even though he said they closed the line at 10 (whatever happened to 10:08???). Last car of the last train of the night. The line was almost as long as the first ride (up to the far side of the vending machines), but there were no fast lane guests so it went much faster. I underestimated how much they affect lines. We waited under an hour. Great night ride to end the night.

Walked back to the car along frontier trail. Would have been faster to go around Dragster midway, I messed up on that one. Hit up Thirsty Pony afterwards and tried one of the specialty burgers instead of my favorite the Sloppy Pig. Great day trip overall. Long lines but some of the best quality rides I've ever had at the point.

Sounds like you had a great day despite the crowds! I agree that new trains would be nice on Magnum, but I think that the B&M trains with the clamshell lap bars would be better than the Intamin style trains. They provide more freedom, and would make the airtime on Magnum quite comfortable in my opinion.
Here are a few pictures of the B&M trains in case you're not familiar with them:
http://rcdb.com/10239.htm#p=41898
http://rcdb.com/10239.htm#p=41882
http://rcdb.com/10239.htm#p=41879
http://rcdb.com/10239.htm#p=41863

Loving Maverick since 2007!

Even the seats look comfortable.

I may be in the minority but I like intamin trains better.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service