6/7/2013 Chilly but what a great day!

My 6 year old son and I went up for the first time this year as he just graduated kindergarten yesterday. I was hopeful that the park wouldn't be crowded since it was quite overcast this morning, but knew that it was also Coastermania. We decided to head up around noon and were on our first ride around 1:30. The park had more people than I expected, but since we ride a mix of Camp Snoopy and beginner coasters, we never waited more than 10 minutes which was awesome. I expected it to be warmer since the forecast called for 60s and sunny, but with the overcast clouds and wind it was chilly but we dressed appropriately. Just a few random observations I made this year in case anyone is interested:

The muffleheads are out in full force. I expected it due to our recent rains, but I'm still caught off guard when they show up for the first time of the season. There were huge clouds of them on the way up, and although they weren't too bothersome at the park (as I know they are harmless), they do get in your hair and I swear I swallowed one. The worst part is that they overtake the restrooms and it's pretty gross.

The employees are very friendly this year. Incidentally I usually go later in the season, and maybe they are still fresh and new but everyone was smiling and just made it a welcoming environment.

I love how they are asking "how was your ride" when you pull into the station. Again, I usually go later in the season and maybe this is forgotten but it adds such excitement to the rides.

I purchased a souvenir cup since we got passes this year. $13 something with tax and I tried out the new freestyle machine which was great. It's a tiny little store so I'm guessing that will get crowded in the summer. I was wondering if there is anywhere else in the park with a freestyle machine other than gatekeeper.

Soak City looked closed. I'm guessing due to weather but I was wondering how they decide that and how they notify the public who may have plans to go there.

We walked through frontiertown with the sole purpose of buying chips at the chippery. To my dismay, they don't offer that and sent me over to a kiosk at the Gemini which was closed :(

I do wish they had more family restrooms. As mentioned earlier, my son and I have passes so I am still nervous to send him in alone while I go to the women's restroom. There are several "storm shelter" signs all over the park that look like family restroom signs and I kept getting mislead. I guess I need to be more trusting.

Because it was cold, it seemed like everyone was wearing these cute new Gatekeeper jackets (knock off North Faces). I wish they'd carry more warm children's apparel for boys. They have tons of cute stuff for girls! :)

Finally, thanks to the operator of the kiddie bumper cars who let the kids ride a few rides in a row. That is such a long load process and the ride was dead so she let them keep riding, it was GREAT!

Ok that's all, I'm all hyped up and can't wait to go back again. Love Cedar Point!!

Glad you and your son had a fun day! I'm sure you can't wait until he's big enough to go on all the coasters.

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

Re-rides on the kiddie bumpers must be policy now, as we witnessed it as well, but it was a nice gentleman who was running it at the time. "Raise your hand if you would like to ride again!" A very pleasant surprise.

Cedar Point guest since 1974

shamrockcb said:
Soak City looked closed. I'm guessing due to weather but I was wondering how they decide that and how they notify the public who may have plans to go there.

I remember in 2008 there were quite a few cold, dreary days around this time of year that resulted in Soak City being closed quite a few days. At least back then, they would offer Castaway Bay day passes to anyone who showed up with a ticket already in hand.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

I wish you would have gotten a name on the reride at Kiddie bumper cars. They deserve to be rewarded when going above and beyond, he didn't have to do that. Kudos to him

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

CP has family restrooms somewhere? I must have missed them. Call me paranoid but I am not yet comfortable sending my daughter in on her own to the women's room - when so many have multiple exits. Joys of being an "older" parent, we worry too much.

There are a few, and they're usually in between the two bathrooms (mens & womens). I know theres one at Camp Snoopy for sure but others honestly I've never paid full attention to it (I don't have kids nor were any really around my rides)

There is a freestyle machine inside Midway Market. But if you are looking for a stand alone, GK is the only one I know of and have seen at this time.

Cedar Point, Americas rip- rockin', high flyin', sky defyin', record breakin' roller coast

There are family restrooms in Camp Snoopy and near Matterhorn. I believe that the Family Care Center and First Aid have a family restroom.

thedevariouseffect said:
I wish you would have gotten a name on the reride at Kiddie bumper cars. They deserve to be rewarded when going above and beyond, he didn't have to do that. Kudos to him

I was too far away to see his name badge, but he was a tall thin dark black man with a thick foreign accent. Can't be too many folks matching that description working the kiddie bumpers. I saw him do it for at least four ride cycles. Kids stayed on the cycle before my daughter got on and she road twice and he offered it again as she exited.

Shamrockcb said the ride-op they saw doing it was a girl, so more than one employee going out of their way.

Cedar Point guest since 1974

Good stuff..please if anyone notices this stuff report it to park op they deserve praise and recognition..it does make us feel good when someone notices this kind of stuff

I would have reported it although I honestly thought they were breaking the rules by doing a reride. The safety process is so long and with all of the checks I honestly thought she may have gotten in trouble.

Thanks for the locations of the family restrooms... we have used the ones at first aid (nice and air conditioned in there, and free cold water), and knew about the ones at Camp Snoopy but I wasn't aware of the ones near the Matterhorn which would cover the mid area of the park :)

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service