2015 Cedar Point Coaster Tourney

Because of a couple of offseason games I noticed have popped up here on this forum (one by campfreak06, the other by CoasterGuy15), I've decided to make one of my own. But unlike their two topics, this will not be a "help/hurt" game—instead, I've created this tournament bracket featuring fourteen roller coasters at Cedar Point. The seeds I've set are based on a variety of things, such as rankings on CoasterBuzz's Top 100 List, my own opinions, and general trends I've noticed around here.

The goal is simple: I will post links to straw polls for each match below, and you will vote for what you think is the better coaster. The winner of each match will advance until one coaster remains.

Round 1
1. Rougarou (24) vs. Wicked Twister (21)
2. Raptor (40) vs. Iron Dragon (7)
3. Magnum XL-200 (46) vs. Mean Streak (6)
4. Blue Streak (25) vs. Gemini (28)
5. Top Thrill Dragster (27) vs. Cedar Creek Mine Ride (5)
6. GateKeeper (27) vs. Corkscrew (5)

Round 2
7. Millennium Force (23) vs. Rougarou (5)
8. Raptor (13) vs. Magnum XL-200 (17)
9. Maverick (21) vs. Gemini (3)
10. Top Thrill Dragster (14) vs. GateKeeper (10)

Semifinals
11. Millennium Force (27) vs. Magnum XL-200 (7)
12. Maverick (27) vs. Top Thrill Dragster (6)

Finals
13. Millennium Force (21) vs. Maverick (18)

Third Place
14. Magnum XL-200 (19) vs. Top Thrill Dragster (16)

Side Competitions
Past Coasters: Disaster Transport (12) vs. WildCat (11)
B&M Brawl: GateKeeper (16) vs. Raptor (7) vs. Rougarou (4)

The 2015 Cedar Point Coaster Tourney has been concluded. Millennium Force won the final against Maverick, while Magnum XL-200 received third place.

Big thanks to all who participated, and I hope to see you again the next offseason!

Last edited by Perpetual Obsession,

This is actually pretty cool! Great job, PO!

I'm too sexy for my harness!

It would have been cool to use the help/hurt game as the initial seeding. I wonder how that would have turned out.

Edit: 16 would have made for a better bracket, even though you are just assuming MF and Maverick would beat Pipe Scream and Woodstock.

Edit: I completed the bracket:

Rougarou / WT
Raptor / ID
Magnum / MS
BS / Gemini
TTD / CCMR
GK / Corkscrew

MF / Rougarou
Raptor / Magnum
Maverick / BS
TTD / GK

MF / Magnum
Maverick / TTD

MF / Maverick
[Magnum / TTD]

Last edited by CP Maverick,

^ I thought the same as well, except with Wilderness Run instead of Pipe Scream (because RCDB does not consider Pipe Scream as a coaster). Indeed, I decided to omit them because I'm sure they would have been outclassed easily by MF and Maverick, thus making it more worthwhile to simply qualify MF and Maverick for Round 2 by default.

Next time, you should make it a double elimination to give the coasters that get matched up with MF another chance haha. It would also make it even more interesting if it were a double elimination. But overall I really love the idea.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

^ As a matter of fact, Challonge does support double elimination brackets, so I think I will do that next time. :)

Well, Rougarou has just barely clawed its way to victory over Wicked Twister by a mere three votes; it will be facing Millennium Force next time we see it. Raptor, meanwhile, has soared far past Iron Dragon into the next round by an overwhelming 32 votes!

Up next: Magnum vs. Mean Streak, and Blue Streak vs. Gemini. Straw polls are up now—go ahead and vote for your favorites!

Gemini vs. Blue Streak is so tough, as predicted it's neck and neck. I groaned before picking one or the other

19 year-old enthusiast. Screw Disney, this is MY most magical place on Earth!
"Have a great rest of your day at Cedar Point, America's Roller Coast. Ride on."

^ I know, right? And I thought Rougarou vs. Wicked Twister was a tough contest. I think I'll definitely go for a double elimination next time.

Just so everyone knows: if there is ever a tie when the deadline for a straw poll is reached, I will extend the deadline by 24 more hours to give voters the opportunity to break the tie.

It was a close contest, but as we all know, Gemini was too mean to die, much less be beaten by Blue Streak—it's through, and will face Maverick! Mean Streak, on the other hand, wasn't mean enough to prevent getting dominated by Magnum, which will face Raptor next time around. Thanks to all who voted—Top Thrill Dragster vs. Cedar Creek Mine Ride is up now, as is GateKeeper vs. Corkscrew!

Also, since we're getting close to the end of Round 1, I'd like to ask: would anyone be interested in some "side" competitions? In these, I would place two (or more) roller coasters against each other, and you would get to vote for which one is the best; they would have no impact on the tourney whatsoever.

Would it just be the vote or would it have a bracket?

^ Just the vote. Think of it being like a sort of exhibition game.

I'm in!

I'm trying to figure out how anyone could enjoy CCMR more than TTD or Corkscrew more than GK. No brainer for me!

Top Thrill Dragster and GateKeeper have bested Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Corkscrew, respectively—that means they will face each other in Round 2!

We've now entered Round 2, which means things will start to get much more interesting. The straw poll links for Millennium Force vs. Rougarou and Raptor vs. Magnum XL-200 are now up. Additionally, I've decided to post a side competition as I said I might. The subjects of this first side competition are two coasters that have been removed relatively recently from Cedar Point: Disaster Transport and WildCat.

Go on and cast your votes!

Two out of three B&Ms have fallen to an Intamin and an Arrow; that is, Millennium Force and Magnum XL-200 have beaten Rougarou and Raptor, respectively. Things really are getting interesting. Next up is Maverick vs. Gemini, and Top Thrill Dragster vs. GateKeeper. Meanwhile, due to there being a tie at the deadline, I've extended the deadline for the Disaster Transport vs. WildCat Side Competition by an extra 24 hours, giving voters an opportunity to break that tie.

So, as always, go ahead and cast your votes!

I love your commentary haha.

^ My commentary is okay, but thanks. :)

So, to recap: Disaster Transport won the Past Coasters Side Competition against WildCat by a narrow 12-11, after I extended the deadline by 24 hours due to a tie between the two. Today, Maverick scored a landslide victory over Gemini while GateKeeper, though popular, ultimately succumbed to Top Thrill Dragster by four votes.

We're in the Semifinals now—we're almost done! Millennium Force now faces Magnum XL-200, while Top Thrill Dragster takes on Maverick. Meanwhile, all three B&M coasters have now been eliminated, so I figured it's time for another Side Competition: the B&M Brawl, a three-way duel between GateKeeper, Raptor, and Rougarou. Which B&M will reign supreme? Which of our four remaining coasters will make it to the final? You decide!

"B&M Brawl." I like it.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service