2000 Internet Wooden Coaster Poll results

That slide should really tell Cedar Point something.

The fact that neighboring Six Flags Ohio has two of their three woodies beating Cedar Point's offerings should raise a flag, too. (SFO's third woodie, Raging Wolf Bobs, is WAY down there, but that's a mini-Mean-Streak)

-------------
--Greg
http://www.pobox.com/~gregleg/
MF count: 27
This guy could be the same guy who conducted the presidential polls. The system still has its flaws. Polls dont realy work well unless evrybody has ridden all of the rides. I would prefer rankings by a group who rides all the rides and discusses the postitve and negiitives of each ride, Sort of a coaster committe. The polls
sytem sounds good, but a look closer i see some wiered things. Some coasters jump as much as 30 points every year, up and down. Other rankins like amusement today, they dont hardley jump at all. and my biggest question HOW CAN YOU RANK SBNO COASTERS? Are people coaster jacking these things and starting them up without knowing. This copmletely contradicts the major jumping of the poll. So right now it says the Coney Island Thunderbolt got better this year, even though NO ONE has ridden it this year? Right now i am tired and may not see how you can rank these coasters.
-------------
Joe E
#13 the wildacat is better than the Blue Streak What to run along the track?
Of course it says it got better, because it's sentimental vote. The CI Thunderbolt was just torn down and now everyone's gonna rank it higher who's ridden it. Next year it will go back down, but the losing of it just coincided perfectly with the timing of the poll. You have to remember there ARE people who have ridden the SBNO coasters - it's on overall life experience, not just last year. If you'll notice, nobody claimed to have ridden the CI Thunderbolt in '00.

Coasters move up and down in the count for reasons - parks make changes to them, new coasters are built, etc...if they stayed the SAME place every year that would be cause for calling the poll inaccurate, not because they change every year.

This poll is different than Amusement Today's, because in that poll it's basically a popularity contest, the win is going to go to the coaster that had the most riders who enjoyed it, not the coaster that COMPARATIVELY had the most riders who enjoyed it. Someone on RRC made a pretty good analogy that correlates to this issue, hehe:

Who was more popular in high school, the girl who gave the most rides to the most people or the girl who gave the best rides?

Nobody's claiming this poll is perfect, nothing is perfect, but this one is probably most accurate, seeing as how it takes an AVERAGE when COMPARING all the coasters to each other rather than just taking the one with the MOST votes for #1.

And on a side note, didn't Jeff say it was a good idea to use spell check? Please, for all of our sakes, Gemini Dream.

-------------
Natalie
CP Ride Operations '99-'00
The Wildcat WAS a good coaster and still deserves to be ranked among the top, nobody ever got a chance to ruin it like they did the Blue Streak.

*** This post was edited by Backstreet Girl on 12/4/2000. ***
My spellchecker does not work for some reason. The window pops up and just laughs at me. For now on I will type in Microsoft word and paste. I still don't see how you can even rank a SBNO coaster. It like saying Jordan is the best player right now in 2000 NBA season. Sure he is good, but he is not playing. If you are going to include SBNO coasters then you pretty much need to include every coaster ever built. I know a lot of people who would vote the Thriller at Euclid Beach Park as their favorite. People would have rode these rides along time ago and what seemed great then may be not so good today. The Blue Streak was up their with the Wildcat but slipped so there is no telling that the Wildcat could have slipped ( I dont think they would have butcherd the Wildcat though.) Now this poll is not all bad. I love the math that this guy used, It looks like fun. This poll does have a good system for taking into consideration the fact that no-one in the world has ridden every wooden coaster. It looks like it took alot of time to do this and anyone who spends the time to do somthing like that deserves some props. It would be even more accurate if more people took the pole. 300 people is about 9 coaster cars full of people. That is not exactly a lot. No poll is going to be perfect. Like I said, a group of about 20 people need to ride every ride and come to conclusions. Dose ACE or other clubs do this kind of thing or not? Every poll is different anyway. It is peoples own personal opinion that counts in the end. Now I trust polls about as far as I can throw them. They are kind of fun to look at though and say to yourslef what? What is that? FUN (Cedar Fair NYSE ticker)

-------------
Joe E
SBNO is a felony. Destroying a coaster is Manslaughter
I really think if Cedar Point gets a really good woody it will be the perfect amusment park. A CCI maybe. I dont want a looping one though! With all the problems with SOB no thanks. I would think if it were about 187 feet with lots of airtime. They should put it on the Oceana Midway.

I made a really good CCI woody with my CP with Roller Coaster Tycoon. The station started behind the Giant Wheel then up the lift behind Disaster Transport.After the hill(145 feet) it took a guick turn into the parking by Demon Drop. There in the area is a airtime hill, double helix,then another quick turn and then bunny hops like Magnum right next to the first hill. Then a turn into the station brakes. Alot of people go on it.

But whatever Cedar Point does with thier money will make me happy. It always has. :)

-------------
MF Count: 11 *** This post was edited by Nick G. on 12/4/2000. ***
187 feet tall is too tall, I'd say make the wooden coaster 150 or so at the absolute most.

-------------
Natalie
CP Ride Operations '99-'00

"Like I said, a group of about 20 people need to ride every ride and come to conclusions."

Personally, I don't like this idea at all. Why do I want a group of 20 people basically telling the parks what to build? And, yes, parks do look at polls -- and this is one of the most respected.

Aside from that, what's saying those 20 people won't get bought out by some park looking to hype their coaster and grab more publicity? It's definitely a possibility.

-------------
How dare you vanquish the Steel Phantom without his consent? Fear the Phantom's Revenge.
Yes, as seen in this poll, as well as other polls, most of the top wooden coasters are not that tall. I think CP needs a classic type of coaster, full of all kinds of G's. As mentioned before CCI builds this type of ride and we need to call Cincinnati the boardwalk idea is good, but what about one that runs through the back woods of CP (like the Raven) and dose not kill a whole group of tree's like the Mean Streak Did. Maybe a cyclone/out and back highbred. Run it besides the MF. Well, I don't know about that, just a thought. Although if they built it buy the lake, that will be cool too. Rebuild the CP cyclone. As far as polls go the public alone will know a good ride when it sees one. If CP builds it they will come. As mentioned in this poll, The most ridden rides were BS and MS. Even though it pains me to see CP. with the bad wooden coasters, is CP. really loosing out? They are making money, people are riding and that's what Cp is all about. I would truly trust this pool if it had more people. you look at the results and some of the coasters only had a few people ride on them. But most of the bigger rides have had lots of people ride on them so it shows how bad CP. woodies have become.

-------------
Joe E
It is Family Fued.
Survey Says, CP needs a good wooden Coster.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service