10/2

First TR. Headed to TTD for early ride time at about 11:10. The platform was only about half full. Only loading the first 2 rows. Maybe the cold?, but they would launch 2-3 trains, than several empty trains. Finally got on around 11:50. Headed to Millennium Force. About a 20 minute wait. This being my and my kids first time to Halloweekends, we took out time walking Frontier Trail to the back of the park to Maverick. Maybe 15 minutes and we were on the train. CCMR was a walk on. Me, my daughter, and son each had our own car. Walked on to Sky Hawk. The longest wait of the day came at Gemini. They were only running 2 Red trains, but one of them was full of sandbags. I've never waited that long for Gemini. It was now just before 3:00, so we back tracked to the Eternity Infirmary. I felt like I was 16 again. My daughter (13), was really on the edge of freaking out, but my son(15) thought ..meh.. Back through Frontier Trail, a slice of pizza, and back to Millennium Force. The line was just outside the loading platform. We took 2 more back to back rides. Wasted 30 minutes of the day at the Sideshow carnival magic show. I guess we were expecting more of a 'sideshow magic show', not a dance show. Raptor made things better, with a near empty queue. We kicked the sky in the front row. Happy Jacks was a twisted demented fun haunt. We then walked on maXair, always fun, but the rain and wind started. Reminded me of when I used to ride my motorcycle in the rain. Disaster Transport-no line, no lights, just dark. The wind and rain was really kicking up as we headed to my daughter's favorite haunt of the day- Club Blood. The rain and wind was picking up, and now we could see the coasters were grounded as we left the park around 6. This was our 13th time to the park this year, and even though it was a relatively short day, was one of the best of the year.
Ride On!

Sunday was a beautiful, but chilly day. The lines for rides were short overall. The lines for the haunted houses were short too making for a lot of repeat trips.

While I certainly would not call the Sideshow of Magic a waste of time, I will agree it does lack in the magic department. It really is more of a dance show. Sideshow is still an entertaining show that is worth seeing, just don't expect lots of magic tricks.

I was there on Sunday and wondered if anyone knows who the gentleman is that was riding a segway around the park for much of the day?

Hotel Breakers 88-94

He's the "Segway Man". He does that every Sunday for the whole season.

I saw the Segway Man too on Sunday. Is he an employee or a regular guest? I'm amazed that CP would let someone bring a Segway into the park. Or does he have some sort of disability that allows him to ride around?

The gentleman on the Segway has been discussed here before.

However nice of a person he may be, it still doesn't seem like the best idea to roll a Segway through the crowded midways of HalloWeekends.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

He did it during the summer in Soak City too, even when we we're packed during some of our busiest times.

Was riding the train tonight (10/30 - and guess who was riding as well? No one else but Mr. Segway! He parked his Segway in Frontier Town, walked on to the train, and rode the loop.

He then got off the train at Frontier town, and with a "little jog" he walked over to his Segway, and got back on - tooling off into a busy crowd...

I am not saying he doesn't have a disability, but I will say that he honestly didn't show it when he was walking around without his Segway... I guess it was a big head scratch-er for me, and my friends on the train. I even snapped pictures for posterity.

A surprising percentage of people with disabilities don't display them on command. It's not Stupid Human Tricks.

Here's a suggestion. Why don't you get over the ridiculous idea that you can judge some stranger's life on the basis of a five or ten minute window? Seriously, you have no conception how much people with disabilities despise the ignorant mindset you're exhibiting.

Oh, and I'm sure the pictures were greatly appreciated, if you had the temerity to take them to his face.

Last edited by Ensign Smith,

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Regardless of whether he "absolutely needs it or not" - that Segway has no place in the park - You make one exception - you end up making more for those that abuse it.

He certainly wasn't so disabled yesterday in his mannerisms or other method that he couldn't use a 4 wheel scooter or other method which would be significantly safer than a Segway going through busy crowds.

Oh - And if you give me his email, I'll be happy to send them to him!

PS -

Straight from the Segway website -

". Keep in mind that the Segway HT has not been designed, tested, or
approved as a medical device. "

http://www.segway.com/downloads/pdfs/Frequently_Asked_Questions_General.pdf

If the company that makes it says no - how does this guy get an exception where risk to others is involved???

In addition - Segway fully advocates wearing of a helmet while using the device - I'm sorry but that stylish brimmed hat Mr. Segway was wearing did not appear to be a Snell rated or similar helmet to me...

Last edited by scubaboyz,

Now you're changing arguments. Your first post indicated that, on the basis of the short time that you viewed him, the individual in question must not really need assisted transportation. This is the only issue I take.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

No - I still question whether he needs it. But that is my opinion. I did not feel the need to "re post" my entire argument.

You made a valid point, but that doesn't mean that I need to accept your opinion as mine.

Despite what the manufacturer says, some states have approved them as medical devices. When I looked it up the last time this subject came up, it appears that Ohio is one of those states.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

also the "you make one exception" rule clearly isn't happening. They made that exception seasons ago to let him do that and you don't see the park full of segways. if you ask me more of a threat to public safety (more than the segway) are those motorized wheel chairs and scooters. Sure you have to allow them because people legitmately need them, but I can't count how many times I've been or I've seen other people ran over by them.

FF 06, 07
FZ 08, 09, 10
S.T.A. - died with the Fright Zone

josh88 said:
also the "you make one exception" rule clearly isn't happening. They made that exception seasons ago to let him do that and you don't see the park full of segways. if you ask me more of a threat to public safety (more than the segway) are those motorized wheel chairs and scooters. Sure you have to allow them because people legitmately need them, but I can't count how many times I've been or I've seen other people ran over by them.

It's not happening frequently because most people who have a disability are using the scooter chair - an endorsed medical device. People "don't need" a Segway. Granny would run into the china cabinet with a segway and break her crystal.

Bad policy and Bad idea - should NOT be allowed.

Ralph Wiggum said:
Despite what the manufacturer says, some states have approved them as medical devices. When I looked it up the last time this subject came up, it appears that Ohio is one of those states.

I have yet to find this information- can you post your source for it?

Here's what I found the last time I did any Googling about the subject:

Ralph Wiggum said:
A quick Google search shows that Segways can't be sold or marketed as disability devices because they lack FDA approval. However, many doctors and disability advocacy groups still prescribing/advocating their use in that manner.

Upon further Googling, it appears some states (I didn't see if Ohio was one of them) will issue a valid handicap placard for a Segway if the user provides a doctor's prescription for the device. Provided the user has a placard, I don't see any reason not to allow them to use it in parks, although clearly Disney disagrees.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

I'm pretty sure that Cedar Point requires guests who wish to use a Segway fill out some kind of form upon entrance to the park stating their purpose for use and agreeing to abide by the rules regarding the use of a Segway in the park. I know I saw something about this in 2010, but not sure of this year. Maybe the admissions people are supposed to confront Segway users, though I've really only seen that one guy in the park with one and I'm sure they just always expect him to be coming to the park.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service