Odd Ride Closures

So, I think that all scheduled ride closures are bad business. I know all the reasons given and still that is a bad business model and sucks for guests.

But why is the train ride closed some days during October? And why on Earth does it close at 7:00 p.m.? The train ride is fun at night and with Boneville it is made for Halloween. I don't get that one at all.

thanks.

Uncle Steve's avatar

It's Halloweekends. I've only been visiting the park for about 10 years, but I'm pretty sure they've always closed the train. I assume it's done to help with crowd flow, but I agree, I'd love to ride the train on a cold, dark, damp October night.

We-o-we-oooo's avatar

With the exception of the first two or three years, the train has never been open on the 6-12 operating days, either currently Thursdays or past with Fridays. It closes at 7 since 2021 when the entrance to Blood on the Bayou was moved from the TTD side of the lagoons to the other, which would create traffic bottlenecks & require people to cross the tracks in the dark.

Last edited by We-o-we-oooo,

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

Uncle Steve's avatar

Personally, I'd rather have the train running.
To me, the scare zones on the island = a lot of walking for minimal entertainment.

Kevinj's avatar

Have to agree with Coasterhawk on this one. The train ride is quite literally a natural Halloweekends attraction in-and-of-itself. I always thought it would be fun to have some dressed-up/themed skeletons riding the train and a few extra fog-machines on the non-Boneville side.


Promoter of fog.

We-o-we-oooo's avatar

Indeed they did; Cedar Point Spooky Express, 1997 & 1998 (maybe 1999?) There was a section with a supposedly haunted building set up and a few costumed actors milling about, however like everything else in the first several years of Halloweekends it was solidly unspectacular.


Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

I was more bummed (and concerned) that both Magnum and Gemini were closed all weekend with no activity around either one indicating it was maintenance. It really made that whole stretch of midway from TT2 to the Frontiertown entrance feel lonely.

I could have sworn Magnum was running this past weekend, I do not typically ride it but I thought I heard it. Especially in the Breakers / Soak City lot. Guess I'm old enough now I'm starting to hear things along with everything else lol.

Edit: Magnum is already on the closure list for the entire upcoming weekend as well so it has to be some sort of maintenance issue.

Last edited by JUnderhill,

Magnum was open for Thursday night and for a few hours Friday morning before putting up the "This Attraction Will Not Open Today" sign early Friday afternoon.

About that railroad closure...

I remember visiting CP last Fall, and found that the opening event, where the costumed performers introduced themselves, took place on the train at the Frontier Town Station.

Do they still do that today? If so, that's probably why the railroad closes early.

Last edited by A New Point of View,

Unofficial Rule of Ride Removals

You must announce removals in advance so people can get their last rides in, unless a major incident or malfunction prevents the ride from doing so.

This applies to roller coasters, flat rides, water rides, and so on.

Exceptions to this rule include upcharge attractions, waterpark rides, and rides that are effectively redundant within a park.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2026, POP World Media, LLC