Cedar Downs and Wave Swinger both down

When I went to Cedar Point yesterday, both Cedar Downs and Wave Swinger were closed and looked to be still being repaired/refurbished for the season.

Cedar Downs had orange tape on a few of the horses and torn-up boards on the inside of the platform ring the ride rotates on.

Wave Swinger was flat down on the ground, no swings on it, and some of the light bulb arrays from the ride were detached and laying on the ground.

Not sure how long either ride will be out of commission, but I thought I'd make people aware in case they were headed to the park and planning to ride either one (as I was planning to ride Cedar Downs.)

Yesterday they were putting the lighting panels back on, around 5pm.

Around 6pm mechanics were still huddled at Cedar Downs.

Last edited by Briella,

I went to the park on Saturday. Cedar Downs was down all day. I texted my mom that I may need a box of tissues, because I love that ride. Seriously, it's one of my favorites... -Lisa

You know there’s an ornament commemorating Cedar Down’s 60’th anniversary. Did you see it?

One of our favs!

Promoter of fog.

I have the Cats Meow Cedar Downs and a model horse, custom carved by Paul the Woodcarver.
the ornament I saw today was a smaller brass ornament that has horses on little springs.
I don’t know it that’s the anniversary ornament or not… but I almost bought it because CD is one of my faves also.

I'll have to look for that when we finally get to the Point.

Of all the classic rides that are still present at the park, Cedar Downs is "that ride" for me, and now my own kids. I'm hopeful that it's not-being-open is simply due to it not being ready, and looking at the picture of Wave Swinger makes it seem that is the unfortunate but logical case.

Promoter of fog.

If those rides aren’t ready I have a feeling they aren’t the only ones. There were more than a couple that were closed all day. I don’t know exactly why.
Cedar Downs had orange tape around some horses that were positioned in the back. There were some work lights back there too. It didn’t look too serious, just not available.
We do a lot of thinking and talking about rides and food outlets and staffing issues, but one thing that’s not as visible (to us) is maintenance. It’s entirely possible that department’s in a world of hurt and they don’t have the people power to get everything ready. I can only imagine what it takes to put the park together for spring.

Very true! Especially with the older rides. Cedar Downs was built in 1921. There's got to be a lot of things on that ride that need special care!

Last edited by SarahB1863,

I remember at winter chill out a couple years back that was one of the self tour stops and it's one of the few downs type rides with the original rope/cable style mechanical system in it still which I can't imagine is easy to maintain but I'm so glad they do. I don't enjoy the spinning but I appreciate the history of the ride.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

But the interesting thing to me is that rides built in 1921 have a certain advantage in common. They’re mechanical. Not computerized, not magnetic, not hydraulic- just moving parts that are motor-driven. Maintenance is important to keep them operating efficiently, but not in a complicated way. All they take is knowledge of how the ride operates and grease. Oh, and occasionally parts.
We all know that Derby rides are few and far between and that Cedar Point is the only park to consistently operate the ride with all of its intended moving parts in tact. So the potential downfall lies in parts that are obviously no longer manufactured and need to be milled or fabricated by someone with the interest and know how. I hope that’s the temporary hold up with Cedar Downs and that it will be restored to service soon. The fact that it seems like only a small group of horses are blocked from use tells me there’s a relatively small problem below there somewhere.
I noticed a number of rides unavailable yesterday, Monday. Gemini, Slingshot, Windseeker, Skyride (what??!?), Snake River Falls (naturally for this time of year), and the rides named in this topic. I’m sure the reasons vary from ride to ride. Most guests took things in stride and nobody seemed too upset by any of it. An exception might be the off and on operation of Wild Mouse. I talked to several visitors who recounted bad breaks trying to score even one ride over a weekend-long visit. Maybe I was lucky- I rode twice and dealt with no down time either time. In passing by I did witness the ride not operating several times though. It seemed to restore after a few test cycles though.

Anybody at the park today who can say whether Cedar Downs/Wave Swinger are up?

I remember riding Cedar Downs (The Great American Racing Derby) when it was a ride at Euclid Beach (closed in 1969)

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

Both were down today.

Is the Iron Dragon Running? Just curious... - Lisa

Iron Dragon has been testing, the Wave Swinger is almost fully assembled. Cedar downs - No clue. wasn't running Saturday.

Ahhhhh C.P. My Happy Place!

Iron Dragon is open now

I find it hard to believe that people have the time or the inclination to go on and on about rides being down.

0_o

What a plot twist.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service