LIVE preview: the new Cedar Point Boardwalk

Walt and I will post photos and thoughts here this morning as we see the new Boardwalk area for the first time.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Thank You both for giving us the opinions and reviews!

Ahhhhh C.P. My Happy Place!

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I love ^^ her.
This ain’t your grandfather’s Cedar Point.

The nerds all went to the rides, I went for the food. It's insanely good. I'm trying the turkey and chicken tenders with some of the red potatoes. So, so good.

The bar upstairs is huge, tons of room. Liquor is mostly meh stuff, but I do see Casamigos and St. Germaine. That's solid.

Photos coming...

The webcam currently shows an awfully long line for the Mouse and no action on the track. Earlier there was a car stopped on the upper block brake. I hope there aren’t technical difficulties, as it seems to have run like clockwork all weekend.

Edit: there it goes. I can’t tell if there are riders in it yet or not.

Last edited by RCMAC,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Yes, they're evac'ing the ride. 🙁

Seems like you guys had the right idea to skip the Wild Mouse line and get a drink.

Brandon

Going live at 12:45 at https://facebook.com/pointbuzz

Thanks, that was fantastic!

Brandon

Thanks for the tour, Walt.

Lots of attention to detail, down to the concrete made to look like an actual boardwalk.

The pavilion looks amazing.

Promoter of fog.

So who has another evac story? This guy.

I was a latecomer then re-watched what I missed, so thanks. I’m so glad to finally see it up close.
I was particularly interested in the art direction and it did not disappoint. The retro look is cohesive and really cute. CP seems to be trending away from huge midways with large swaths of concrete as areas get makeovers. Narrower pathways with subtle curves are definitely more interesting and easier on the eye. There has to be some positive psychological aspect to it as well.
Thanks again for the tour. I’m going to see about a trip up next week.
Btw, I almost forgot about the Pavilion. The interior is something we got little preview of and it’s amazing how well it came together. It looks really nice and is a super smart addition to that corner of the park. Beautiful.

Oh there is. Curvy lines in architecture evoke feelings of calm and ease and flow, while sharp angular lines evoke feelings of rigidity and irritation (and also some positive ideas like professionalism). Those narrower paths, for a lot of people, are associated with positive relaxed exploration, like taking a walk (or run!) through the woods or some other type of natural exploration. Like the now defunct Forbidden Frontier.

I think CP is hitting that nice balance now between the grand, awe-inspiring giant swaths of openness that charm-lovers complain about and the more quaint, detail-oriented paths.

I also think it's rare to have both in the same place. Dollywood and Busch Gardens Williamsburg come to mind as almost exclusively having narrower corridors.

Couldn't help it. :)

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Kevinj:

I think CP is hitting that nice balance now between the grand, awe-inspiring giant swaths of openness that charm-lovers complain about and the more quaint, detail-oriented paths.

While it is not a path, the one negative about the visuals of the new area that I have seen on the webcam and now the livestream is the ugly gray concrete under scrambler. That area jumps out at me in stark contrast to the vibrant colors found everywhere else in the area. I know the ride itself has a nice color scheme but the gray mass under it seems out of place. I wish they would have used some colored concrete in that area to brighten it up.

The best example is Europa. With a few exceptions the layout and pathways are in complete keeping with the park’s theme- the architecture and cobblestone walkways of old Europe. It was great for exploring if not slightly confusing. But if one of the world’s busiest parks can make it work then anyone can.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service