New forum version

There's a new forum version coming soon here, and I wanted to give you a heads up. There are a few things you should be aware of.

• Your private messages will all disappear. That's because they're going to be replaced by a real-time private chat set up.
  • Almost no one uses it anyway, but email subscriptions will go away.
  • By default, you'll "subscribe" to any topic that you start or reply to, causing notifications to appear at the upper right. You can change the setting to not auto-subscribe with a setting in your profile, once it's live.
  • You can un-vote for something that you accidentally voted for.
  • You won't be able to quote an entire post. You'll have to select the bit you want first, then click the quote button.
  • You don't need to set your time zone, the forum will use whatever the time is where you are.

Those are the biggest visible changes. I'm not sure exactly when I'll update it, but hopefully within a week or so. Stay tuned.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

The new forum has been deployed. If anything seems broken, please drop a note in this thread. Thank you.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff:

You'll have to select the bit you want first, then click the quote button.

Just making sure the quote feature works.

Which it does.

Promoter of fog.

Kevinj:

Which it does.

Really well too! I like the improvement!

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Jeff:

If anything seems broken, please drop a note in this thread.

When posting today, I've been encountering long load times upon hitting submit, after which I get a 502 error. My post is there upon navigating to the thread manually, but not if I hit the back button. Happening a lot in the TTD thread, but no issue quote responding in a different thread earlier, but maybe that was just a coincidence.

ADDED - The above submitted quickly, so maybe something related to the TTD thread.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

I don't think it's the long thread... none of the underlying resources are having an issues, so it might in fact be the gateway flaking out. Investigating...

Seems to hang on the redirect. Nothing obvious in the logs. Just downloaded a database copy, will see what happens locally.

Minor issue but I did hit a 502 error a bit ago. And the locked thread icon isn't loading on the forums page.

DJ Fischer

Good spot on the icons. Really having a hard time nailing down the problem on replies for that thread, or specifically, the redirect after. The same data on my computer shows no problem, so it's environmental. Will keep looking. Tired of the stream of text alerts!

The Millennium Force theme music is still not playing when I get a text message from another user.

Just FYI.

Promoter of fog.

Jeff - Thank you so much for all your hard work. Love the updates, love the aesthetic. I know there is lots of disagreement here but we love your hard work.

Thanks,

CedarPointer

The Crystal Method is the only way to find The Winner!

So... sorry about the downtime today. Yes, there was a problem that was crashing the process and causing some people to get a 502, and I have a work around for that. Old code I should have changed when the new notifications came in.

With that said, the outage was completely unrelated. For some reason, the domain names associated with the service got into a bad state, but not for everyone. There were about a dozen people on the site at any given time, but for most, the gateway didn't know what to do with your traffic. Totally frustrating, and because of the timing, I wasn't looking there.

Back up for me, I was going to say something about an extended 502 but then saw your post.

I really do like the look of this update. Thank you for all the work that's gone into it!

DJ Fischer

Not sure if I like the clock pictograph for Recent. I don't have a better option off the top of my head, but I only found it by hunting.

I struggled with that as well, but saw it used elsewhere for "recent." This is the set I'm using... open to suggestions.

I looked through the set, and while I saw some others I might put forth, my choice would be r-square. (https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/r-square/). It is not as purely language-agnostic as some choices, but it is at least as good as using B and I for Bold and Italic.

The language agnostic part is pretty important, because the forum is coded to work in six languages. (If you set your browser to Spanish, watch the UI change!) I mean, an "R" doesn't mean much if it's ζœ€θΏ‘ in your language. πŸ™‚

Last edited by Jeff,

I wasn't positive how much Internationalization was being prioritized.

Here are my other options I like better than the clock.

https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/clipboard-pulse/ (think recent as the pulse of the site)

https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/bar-chart-steps/

https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/sort-numeric-down-alt/ ( this one probably has the best literalness, but I am not in love)

https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/layout-text-window-reverse/

https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/file-ruled/

OK, full disclosure, it's only through this that I realized there is a "recent" button that does what it does.

I get the clock because it's saying "not a lot of time has gone by since someone did something here in this thread"...

Is the struggle because some people might not see it as a clock?

Promoter of fog.

OK, the permanent fix is in for the missing tenant context bug in notifications (that's more exposition than you likely need). Hopefully that was the last serious thing.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service