News: Cedar Point to disband police deptartment

Cedar Point and Sandusky city officials reached an agreement today for the Sandusky Police Department to take over policing responsibilities inside the park and at other park properties in the city.

https://pointbuzz.com/News/Story/3368

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Of course the Register will take credit for this decision

After explicitly pointing out that this process began 2 years earlier. They're a joke.

Cedar Fair has been evaluating its security operation at Cedar Point and how it aligns with other Cedar Fair properties and within the amusement and entertainment industry since 2019, according to the announcement.

The agreement came about after an independent, third-party security review and conversations with the Sandusky Police Department and city officials that began in July 2021.

Brandon

Wow the register has something out for the park.

Their clinging from not getting the scoop on the dragster incident like it's the end of the world.

I'm sad to see that go, even though it was small it was another of those really unique things about Cedar Point, if my history is correct they were the only park in the world that had their own independent police force.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

I was about to point to WDW, but thought to check first. Turns out the police are Orange County Sheriff Deputies who work a separate district within the boundaries of the property. Then Disney also has their own security force.
Over the years I’ve had a few reasons to believe that CP police were total dicks, and I’ve never forgotten it. But on the other hand I’m not sure that Sandusky police are much different, so I’m not sure what to make of this.

djDaemon said:

since 2019

began in July 2021

I don't see that the two statements cannot both be correct. Cedar Fair started thinking about this back in 2019 and then they got an independent party to review things in 2021. Am I missing something?

Yes:

The decision to decommission the Cedar Point Police Department comes after the Register called for change after demanding it comply with state laws governing the operation of a public agency in the state.

Brandon

Thanks. I can't get to the article. It wants me to subscribe and I am not going to spend $4.62/week.

I'm all about paying for content, especially journalism, but I wouldn't spend $0.01/year to read that garbage.

I should have included that bit in my original comment, I didn't realize it was paywalled.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Sorry - it wasn't behind a pay-wall when I posted it originally. I try to avoid sharing links behind pay-walls, not that I don't absolutely support paying for content. I've had a Register subscription before and I'm sure I'll have one again in the future. I just don't assume that every person who clicks on a link in a news article has one. I think outlets who have a pay-wall should try a "one or two story free" model for people who stumble in from Google or another website and are a one-and-done.

Edit - it doesn't appear to be pay-walled now.

Last edited by Walt,

The Sandusky Register and WTOL will apparently need to share credit.

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/special-reports/11-investigates-c...6cef99d126

Last edited by Walt,

I'm not sure why they would want the burden of paying for their own department. I can't think of any real tactical or practical advantage.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

If you read the WKYC article it seems it was their reporting that led to the change. So everyone takes credit.

First ride; Magnum 1994

The gross, click-baity Inside The Magic takes the cake on the hyperbole, as usual

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/06/cedar-point-police-ea1/

Does anyone even watch channel 11's (WTOL) news?

I used to live, literally, across the street from them and still wouldn't watch them.

*disclaimer* This was in like '92. (That's 1992 for you youngins out there.)

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Haven't looked lately, but I'm pretty sure their ratings aren't as good now as they were thirty years ago. If I were a talking head or reporter, that's not where I'd want to be.

I visited the park today for the first time in a few years and noticed there were plenty of "Security" staff members, but did not see any uniformed Cedar Point police officers. Did this change already start to take effect, or am I just now noticing the amount of gray uniformed security staff?

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Walt said:

Sorry - it wasn't behind a pay-wall when I posted it originally. I try to avoid sharing links behind pay-walls, not that I don't absolutely support paying for content. I've had a Register subscription before and I'm sure I'll have one again in the future. I just don't assume that every person who clicks on a link in a news article has one. I think outlets who have a pay-wall should try a "one or two story free" model for people who stumble in from Google or another website and are a one-and-done.

Edit - it doesn't appear to be pay-walled now.

The register lets you read I think 3 articles a week before the paywall goes up

3 more than I'll probably read.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service