Gas prices

"Jimmy T" logged in from the same address as "Samurai" 21 days apart. Coincidence?

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

djDaemon said:

No one has ever been booted from PB.

Correct, they boot themselves.

djDaemon said:

There is no doubt - the climate is warming, humans are the cause, and we have global data dating back nearly 150 years to reach that scientific consensus.

The earth is some 4 billion years old. Do you really think 150 years of recorded climate data proves anything?
Maybe we have been on a warming trend recently, but I bet we're still considerably cooler than when it all started with the Big Bang.
Graph all the way back to the beginning and let me know what you come up with.

https://ecojungle.net/post/lithium-extraction-environmental-impact/...0Cycle.%20

Great info about the environmental impact of lithium mining. Mining lithium is horrible for the environment, and while EV's may be the future, lithium ion batteries sure the heck are not.

I assume your next post will include an article about the negative impacts on the environment of drilling oil and then refining it into gas.

You should see the post he deleted that said the EPA, Ford, The Universities of Michigan and Toronto, aren't credible sources.

And yes, lithium mining isn't good for the environment. But if you engaged in even a little critical thinking and thought about that in the context of overall carbon impact, you'd acknowledge that it's a pretty good tradeoff compared to ICE cars.

Last edited by Jeff,

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Being from Ohio, I would say that anything from that school up north is suspect.

Agreed, U of T sucks.

;-)

Brandon

The Huskies from the UP?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Don't you put that on my alma mater.

Brandon

Another reality is that I have never heard anyone who pushes for EVs "deny" the environmental issues; mainly harvesting of Lithium and what to do with the batteries that die after 5-10 years. Of course those are issues. The good news is that some very smart people (read: scientists) are on it, and will continue to be on it.

One start-up I've been following has been NuEnergy out of Princeton. In just a couple years they have gone from an idea in a lab to trying to figure out how to practice their new way of recycling Lithium-Ion batteries on a larger scale.

Didn't anyone else play Sim City back in the 90's? The progression from fossil fuels to renewables has been right there in front of our faces since we were in junior high.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

No no no, that's not how you live responsibly with renewable energy. You terraform your own mountain with a single hydroelectric generator to power your house.

There is a lot of experimentation with using different substances for batteries with varying degrees of success, and it often comes down to long term durability of crystalline structures in the cathode, which also happen to affect charging speed. And I read the other day (on Ars Technica, can't find the article) about a startup that has a viable solid state tech if they can produce it at scale. Remember, lithium batteries were an innovation relatively recently, and energy density has become crazy good in the last 10 years.

But yeah, the facts don't support that manufacturing negates the lifetime carbon offset. It's not even close.

There's a lot of momentum in solid state, but you may be referring to Solid Power?

Solid Power, a Colorado-based battery developer, moved one step closer to producing solid-state batteries for electric vehicles on Monday. The company has completed an automated "EV cell pilot line" with the capacity to make around 15,000 cells per year, which will be used first by Solid Power and then by its OEM partners for testing.

Brandon

That's it!

I'll stick to my tried and true method of transportation. It's cheaper than a Tesla and costs less to power, too.

Emissions can be questionable, but that's part of life

I don't think lap sitting with your dinosaur is safe.

They better re-fashion those restraints ala' Blue Streak.

Just needed to add third row seats. And seat belts. And car seats.

Don't forget the headrests.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service