Famous Dave’s employee accused defrauding $1,136 by using employee discount

Jeff said:

Times sure have changed. Dave's was the only place with passable food when I left in 2013. There are a half-dozen places in the park now that I'd rather go to.

Nah, FD is still the best option for food at CP, especially BBQ, as it blows BackBeat out of the water. FD also runs daily specials, such as a burger and fries for $11.99 on Thursdays, making Dave's a great value for the park.

I’ve eaten there a few times, and I thought it was ok. If I squinted my eyes just right it was like being at a fancy restaurant.
At the mall.

Famous Dave’s is BBQ Applebees, if we’re being honest. It’s really not that good.

And neither is the cold brisket I just had at BackBeat BBQ.

Bring back the Marina Steakhouse!

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

I'm still flabbergasted at the idea of anyone whipping out a checkbook at a restaurant.

"Let's all figure out what the tip should be..."

And do I tip with cash or include the tip on the check?!?!?!

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I have to imagine that even though the Huron Insider says "when a customer would pay with check," what they really meant was, "when a customer would pay their check."

BlueGemini said:

Where did you work Jeff when you were there?

What does that have to do with anything? I like pancakes.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I know FD's is only place we would eat when visiting. But, of course, we haven't been there in 7 yrs.

I know a long time ago, FD's corporate threatened to either take over CP location (as it was franchised) or shut it down completely due to the way it was being managed and going downhill. Luckily, CP brought back the good GM (that had left) and they turned things around. Not sure how things are going now, so I can't give an honest opinion of the quality of food or service there.

The closest FD to us is over 5 hrs away, so we don't get our FD fix as often as we'd like. But our last trip to Denver several months ago, we hit up FD and it was great as always.

Kevinj said:

I'm still flabbergasted at the idea of anyone whipping out a checkbook at a restaurant.

They should carry one of those handy little tip calculator cards. Makes it so much easier to figure out. :)

Kevinj said:

Of the 21 years I've spent on this planet, I think the last time I've ever seen a checkbook being used is when I was quite young(Single digit age, probably). The real question is who uses checkbooks anymore? I'd be genuinely surprised to see someone using one.

Last edited by Skyhawk06,

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

Wife still uses one. We don't use it when shopping though. To pay bills through mail or doctor visits she uses it.

I use ours twice a year to pay our HOA fee. I think we have like 500 checks, so I shouldn't need to order a new set of checkbooks until 2272, so that's nice.

Brandon

I'll be writing a check in about 2 hours for service by a local contractor coming to my home. It is a small "mom & pop" business that is only able to take cash or checks. It is presently the only thing I write checks for. The small town that we reside in recently connected with an on-line payment service for us to pay our water/garbage bills electronically so I no longer write that check. Of course, there is that $1.75 "service fee", but oh well.

I find a lot of small businesses still prefer cash or check.
Some will take a card but charge a %5 fee.

The company that collects our trash will only take checks or money orders for payment.
They send me a handwritten postcard every 3 months when the bill is due and I mail them a check.

Pro tip: whenever hiring something out, get a quote, then ask if there's a cash discount. Obviously if it's a major, 6-figure project you wouldn't do that (you may need the paper trail in that case), but something like routine maintenance, landscaping, etc., it can save you and the contractor a few bucks.

Brandon

Some of the cash discount places/people are looking to commit tax fraud. Discounts are often greater than the costs of accepting credit. And many won't accept a check (even a certified one or bank check). Good chance they won't report all the income to the IRS.

That's between them and the IRS and really not a problem of the customer.

Without more facts/involvement, true legally. And all is good if you are getting a cut.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service