Maverick restrictions?

Hello, I am hearing a rumor that the orange cross bar has to touch your legs this year, so plus sized riders might have to do the "walk of shame" even if the buckle clicks? Anyone know about this?

Now a 29 time Steel Vengeance survivor! Two time Winter Chill Out dude.

I rode it yesterday. I had my restraint down and buckled, but as usual the op came by for a push. His words were “lemme push this down so the bar touches your legs, okay?” Then after the push the bar was still a few inches away from my thighs but I was locked and good to go.

That'll make for a fun summer... I've got a long torso and my shoulders hit the restraint long before it's on my thighs...

I enjoy the floater those seats allow for though!

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

99% of the time it doesn’t matter where my restrain starts, by the end of the ride it will be 3 clicks further down..usually due to the turn out of the tunnel.

First ride; Magnum 1994

I've seen this mentioned other places and is this a your harness doesn't come down far enough because you're fat issue or a skinny legs issue? I'm trying to picture how the harness fits me I never think about it on Maverick because it's one I never seem to have issues with. I honestly don't remember if the harness touches my legs or not.

It's a "I'm fat" issue. Never had a problem with Maverick, only TTD and MF.

Now a 29 time Steel Vengeance survivor! Two time Winter Chill Out dude.

Having ridden Maverick countless times, I don't know why I am having a hard time understanding what has changed. Has anyone (here) not been able to ride this season that was able to prior? I'm not worried about having an issue with it, but looking at the pic below I'm guessing it has always "touched my legs".

And why, after being in existence as long as it has, is there a shift now?

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Kevin thank you for the reference picture. Especially with the soft harnesses I don't know what this change actually entails?

Unless it's airtime junkies like me who may or may not sit in the station on tiptoe for those few inches of gap it creates when they check the harness?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

I've ridden a few times already this year with no issues at all, haven't heard anything about new rules, or seen anyone have to leave either.

Maverick has always been one of the more forgiving rides. The belts on Millennium, Raptor, and Valravn are usually tight for me. If the ops weren't allowed to help a bit I might have a problem. Haven't been able to do Mine ride in a while.

For me it's a thigh size issue. might be different for height.

TwistedCircuits said:

Unless it's airtime junkies like me who may or may not sit in the station on tiptoe for those few inches of gap it creates when they check the harness?

Not just you. Back in the early 80's when Blue Streak had buzzbars, my buddy Dave and I may or may not have consistently undone our seatbelts on the way up the lift-hill just to get that extra edge ;)

Now that I'm thinking about it, I always try to create a gap between my thighs and the orange bar on Maverick before locking for a little more air. Have to remember to "be on my toes" tomorrow morning...

Promoter of fog.

I usually stick my hips out a little bit so the restraint touches my legs but then I can relax and there’s some breathing room for air time

I'm guessing perhaps this might be in response to the Orlando Freefall incident.

The Orlando ride was mechanically altered to allow riders larger than manufacturing limits permitted.

there’s no correlation here.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

^^^^Kevin, that trick has failed me multiple times now! I've actually had an employee ask me to scoot back in the seat and similar when trying to get a tiny bit more space on Maverick in years past. Felt like an idiot, so I don't even try anymore. Maybe I'm just too obvious, I dunno.

XS NightClub said:

there’s no correlation here.

The proximate cause of the Orlando incident was a restraint in a position that did not adequately restrain the rider. So I wouldn't assume there's no correlation between that incident and an apparently new procedure wherein operators are taking extra care to make sure restraints are in a position that adequately restrain the rider.

Does it make sense that this would be in response to that incident? No, not really. But, you know, iROC.

Brandon

I'm still not hearing any first-hand accounts of any actual changes.

What are we actually talking about here? Is this just a thread taking up space for the sake of itself?

This is 100% a thing. Maverick was always the most accommodating ride for larger people and the ride ops will now try to force the bar down to touch your legs, slamming it down until you’re in pain.

If you try the test seat and can’t Touch Bar to legs they will tell you that you can’t ride. If you go in and just try to ride, chances are you will be able to but you will be stapled in so tight the ride will stink and be uncomfortable.

‘It’s a new rule’, another one of the many things making cedar point go down hill year after year.

removing rides and adding restaurants

ignoring the terrible bathroom updates needed

no pass holder ride nights

Maverick stapling rule

maverick / sv not early entry

close early then upcharge to adult only time

close early, even on weekends until mid June

don’t give ert on the best rides to coastermania at night, give it to your up charge bs.

I truly love the point and have been a pass holder for years and years but the list grows and and grows each year of moving downhill and less customer friendly.

We haven’t gotten passes yet this year, and we are so far uninspired to get them until next season. Some of the reasons why are listed in the post above, among some non CP reasons. I’d almost rather have a KI year this year.

First ride; Magnum 1994

Lavaroach said:

I truly love the point and have been a pass holder for years and years but the list grows and and grows each year of moving downhill and less customer friendly.

Louis Zistel is rolling in his grave.

^^As much as it pains me to say it (on PointBuzz no less!), this season I would say that Kings Island has had a much better guest experience than CP (4 visits to KI in April/May and 4 to CP so far, FYI). Now, I am aware a direct comparison on specific issues would be difficult, if not impossible, since they are totally different parks in different markets. However, one managerial/hospitality thing that could be said/improved is that KI feels much more committed to the whole "Best Day Ever" pledge that has, frankly, somewhat fell by the wayside at CP. I know CP has the potential to commit to the qualitative guest experience; the "A Place Like No Other" ad campaigns of 2018-19 were perfect examples of how committed CP was to generating the symbolism of a unique, incredible experience for every single guest on every visit. Considering CP's Gold Pass introduction and sales, if CP wishes to cultivate a loyal (i.e., renewing) majority-passholder fanbase (as KI has had since the Paramount days), then they need go back to the older playbook and re-cultivate the symbolic idea that CP is, well, a place like no other.

Last edited by bootymix96,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service