Maverick Music

Okay, so as strange as this sounds, I was watching Super Bowl highlights on ESPN2 tonight (8-8:30PM), and within the first 3 minutes of the highlights, what did I hear but the theme that we've all come to know and love as the Maverick Theme. Talk about coming out of left field to surprise me. It's fitting, though, since it's Super Bowl XXX - the Cowboys played in the Super Bowl that year.

I guess we know that the theme was something that was just on a CD and CP purchased the rights.

Certainly interesting.

Jeff Young

It might have been on a CD somewhere, but probably a CD in a production music library. I used to license those when I worked in TV, and they're remarkably inexpensive, usually for broadcast type stuff it's a couple hundred dollars for a year, for a dozen or so discs.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Which one is the Maverick theme? There is a bunch of western songs I recognize in line:

-Rawhide
-Bonanza
-Dallas
-Legend of Zorro
-Pirates of the Carribean
-Magnificent Seven

And that doesnt even scratch the surface, which one are you talking about Jeff?

It's none of those. It's just production music like media companies purchase to use in videos, commercials, etc...

Last edited by DBCP,

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

This one:

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

But at least most of those songs that Touchdown mentioned are also played in the line.

If you were going to buy all the rights to play those other songs, why not use an actual written song rather than production music for the main theme? I probably would have just used the Magnificent Seven theme since what they have is so close anyhow and is a MUCH better composition in my opinion.

Bernstein was a genius.

Last edited by Loopy,

eat. sleep. ride! - Coaster apparel and accessories!

Ride on, MrScott!

You want your product to stand apart though. Using a song from a well-known movie or television show is only going to create an association between the two. Using a similar, yet different song, provides you with a song, but sets you apart as well.

Last edited by DBCP,

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

Maybe it's the music major in me coming out, but I don't think the theme to the Magnificent Seven is anything like the music used in Maverick. It's no more similar than "How The West was Won" is. Basically, they're all western-sounding, except for the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme that's played in line. That's pretty stupid.

Jeff Young

I don't really understand the pirates theme.

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

^Nor do I. I usually cringe when I hear it, it just doesn't fit, and even though I like Pirates (and own the film one CD) it just doesnt work at Maverick. The only other one that comes even close to not fitting is the Zorro stuff, but only because it sounds too much like the Mummy theme, which of course I associate with a much different coaster.

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

They should play the Jurrasic Park theme. ;)

Let's Get Weird.

Whatever happened to the original music that was part of Maverick the first five years? When I saw the intro for the first time, it gave me the chills! Chills of excitement that is.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service