150th Anniversary Parade

There's a video on YouTube showing the 150th anniversary parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AernAEYTqHw

This was a 'dry run', done it looks like early last week when the park was closed. It was run during the daytime, and the actual parade will be run at night.

It looks like a lot of fun, and you have to hand it to the cast members looking happy and enthusiastic. The floats are a bit of an odd mix of current rides and hotels, and there's a notable lack of Peanuts characters, but they're well done and the random trampoline act on the Breakers float is cool. And of course, there'll be little kids in the audience asking where Mickey is!

The horses on the Cedar Downs floats look like actual Cedar Downs racehorses. I wonder if they got those out of a warehouse? They're really well done!

I prefer my horse medium/rare. SarahB1863 I agree, it looks like a great production and that replica horse is very nicely decorated.

jimmyburke said:

I prefer my horse medium/rare.

Humor. Ar ar. :-)

Last edited by SarahB1863,

The racing derby horses might be spares ,obtained from dismantled rides. There were a number of these rides built, several were on the West Coast along with one that was until fairly recently in Canada. The ones not destroyed by fire were parted out, the figures being ultimately sold to individuals, the last one being at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto.

Dutchman said:

The racing derby horses might be spares ,obtained from dismantled rides. There were a number of these rides built, several were on the West Coast along with one that was until fairly recently in Canada. The ones not destroyed by fire were parted out, the figures being ultimately sold to individuals, the last one being at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto.

Thanks for the information! Apparently Cedar Downs is one of only 2 racing carousels left in the U.S., and the only one where the horses still go back and forth. It's actually my favorite ride in the park. :-)

I thought Rye Playland got their carousel back in racing condition? In fact I’m pretty sure New York State ponied up (see what I did there?) like $10M to restore their racing carousel along with their 100+ year old carousel that was damaged by fire.

ROUNDABOUND.

From this video it appears that the racing derby does race once more

That's right, Rye got theirs racing again several years ago. It was already considerably faster than Cedar Downs, and with the added forward motion it feels like taking your life into your hands... in a good way!

I loved loved loved the parade and it was probably my favorite part of my visit on 6/30 (my wedding anniversary and my first amusement park trip since 2019). I did have to make a cranky comment about how they have been capitalizing on Fascination nostalgia a lot the last few years. It shows a certain pluck to keep reminding us old-timers of the very poor consolation Johnny Rockets has been for that loss.

I did observe the authenticity of the Cedar Downs float horses but to my eyes they appeared to be fiberglass replicas.

It’s Playland.
And I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, or where you saw the video (that you didn’t link) but the back and forth mechanism on their Derby Racer was restored. Here’s a video.

Haha - you definitely know the place is a lot different than CP with the operator hopping on and off the turntable like that!

-Matt

RCMAC said:

It’s Playland.
And I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, or where you saw the video (that you didn’t link) but the back and forth mechanism on their Derby Racer was restored. Here’s a video.

You're right, sorry! Here's the video I was referencing, which is from 2016, so yours is newer. Glad they got the horses fixed! I deleted my post since it was incorrect.

I am amazed how much effort has gone into this evening production - they've really pulled out all the stops! I was looking around online for a copy of the songs performed, and I haven't been able to find one outside of YouTube, but I was really trying to figure out some of the lyrics. OCD got the best of me and, well, here ya go. The show runs nightly through August 15th - definitely recommend making the trip if you haven't done so yet!

This is Where The Fun Begins (SHOW OPENING)

150th Anniversary Celebration Spectacular
Cedar Point: June 26 - August 15th, 2021

ANNOUNCER: And now… as it once was, and will forever be, welcome to Cedar Point’s 150th Anniversary Celebration Spectacular. This is where the fun begins!

ELVIE: Hello! And welcome to the greatest party, in the biggest amusement park of the world! Come with us tonight as we salute the promise, and the legacy of Cedar Point: the only park in America that’s been rocking for one hundred and fifty years! This is where the fun begins, so, let me hear you make some noiiiise!

1-5-0! 1-5-0! (Let’s Hear It) 1-5-0! (Aww Come On, You Can Be Louder Than That!) 1-5-0! (Here We Go!)

Oh-Oh-Aoh, (This Side) Oh-Oh-Aoh, Oh-Oh-Aoh, (Other Side) Oh-Oh-Aoh
Oh-Oh-Aoh, (Louder) Oh-Oh-Aoh, Oh-Oh-Aoh, (Everybody) Oh-Oh-Aoh
That’s what I’m talking about Cedar Point… Leeeeeeeet’s Party!

Cedar Point is where the fun begins!
Keeps us coming back again and again.
Time after time and year after year,
We’re amazed at what keeps happening here!

There’s always something great,
Come on and celebrate
One hundred and fifty years…
Cause this is where the fun begins!

ELVIE: Alright, to really get this party started, I want you to meet Ben, Leena, Devin, Shelby, Jenny and Amari… give it up, for the Cedar Point singers!

We’ve been making memories here, since way back when where the fun began (aaah-ahh).
For a hundred and fifty years, stayin’ and playin’ as long as we can.
In every corner, we find a thrill. We loved it then and we always willlllll!

Cedar Point is where the fun begins!
Keeps us coming back again and again.

There’s always something great,
Come on and celebrate
‘Cause this is where the fun begins!

ELVIE: Alright, we’ve been singing for you, and now it’s your turn to sing along with us… Let’s hear it!

Oh-Oh-Aoh, (This Side) Oh-Oh-Aoh, Oh-Oh-Aoh, (Other Side) Oh-Oh-Aoh
Oh-Oh-Aoh, (Louder) Oh-Oh-Aoh, Oh-Oh-Aoh, (Come On, You Got It!) Oh-Oh-Aoh

In every corner, we find a thrill. We loved it then and we always willlllll! We always willlllll!

Cedar Point is where the fun begins! (Yeah!)
Keeps us coming back again and again (again and again).

There’s always something great, (Hey!)
Come on and celebrate (Hey!)
‘Cause this is where the fun begins!

1-5-0! (Woah!) 1-5-0! 1-5-0! (Yeah!) 1-5-0!
‘Cause this is where the fuuuuuuun begins!!

The Fun Is Just Beginning (SHOW FINALE)

150th Anniversary Celebration Spectacular
Cedar Point: June 26 - August 15th, 2021

1-5-0! 1-5-0! 1-5-0! 1-5-0!
1-5-0! 1-5-0! 1-5-0! 1-5-0!

ELVIE: Happy Anniversary!

Cedar Point!
It's our Anniversary!
This is where the fun beings...
and never ennnnnnnnnds!

Hey! Hey! It's gonna be great!
Come and join the party down by the lake.
Hey! Hey! it's gonna be grand!
You're gonna be amazed by the things that we've planned.

Hold on now, let's get to the point!
Are you ready? (Are you ready?)
Ride On! (Ride On!)
Ride Onnnnnnnnnn!

Hey! Hey! Come out and play!
You'll be laughing, smiling and grinning,
And the fun is just beginning!

<< Music Interlude >>

ANNOUNCER: On behalf of your Master of Ceremonies, Elvie Ellis, and the entire cast: Thank you for joining us for our 150th Anniversary Celebration Spectacular!

Come back soon and celebrate with us again, at the greatest amusement park in America: Cedar Point!

SINGING: Home Sweet Home!

Hey! Hey! It's gonna’ be great!
Come and join the party down by the lake (down by the lake).

Hey! Hey! it's gonna’ be grand!
You're gonna’ be amazed by the things that we've planned.

Come on now, let's get to the point!

Ride On! (Ride On!)
Ride Onnnnnnnnnn!

Hey! Hey! Come out and play!
You'll be laughing, smiling and grinning,
And the fun is just beginning!

No matter how the times may change,
Cedar Point will still remain!
We'll be riding & gliding
thrilling & a chilling
dancin', romancin'
jumpin' and a thumpin'
swinging, swaying
winning, grinning
And the fun is juuuuuuuuussssssst
beginnnnnnnnnning (beginning)!!
Hey Hey!

Last edited by Brando,

Do their version of Footloose next. :)

We were eating at Corral watching the parade Monday night and one of my kids started complaining that they keep playing the same songs over and over and over. I tried finding the songs on Spotify to tease him on the ride home. :). Can also have his Echo Dot play it when he won’t get out of bed in the morning. Thanks for this, I now know where to look.

Unfortunately every time the announcer screams “The fun is just beginning!” This image of Guilfoyle’s RNC speech pops in my head and I can’t undo it. :)

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

I have a daughter with sound sensitivity. Can anyone tell me if there are fireworks on any of the floats or part of the parade itself?

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

There are no fireworks to my knowledge. We have always watched near Pagoda at the beginning of the route. Plenty of fireworks at the after-party at the stage, though.

Promoter of fog.

Right... no fireworks but they do stop the parade about halfway (in front of Johnny Rockets) and do a musical number. At the end of the song and set off 'poppers' which launch the big ribbons in the air . Not firework loud but they all get set of at once so there is a good pop. Only happens once though. If you set up at the beginning or of the parade and they are moving it shouldn't be an issue.

Gemini 100- 6/11/01

Now that the parade is over, I wonder what they're going to do with the floats? They sure spent a lot of money on that parade, and it only ran for what, eight weeks? I wonder why they didn't have it run until the middle of September, until Halloweekends starts.

SarahB1863 said:

Now that the parade is over, I wonder what they're going to do with the floats? They sure spent a lot of money on that parade, and it only ran for what, eight weeks? I wonder why they didn't have it run until the middle of September, until Halloweekends starts.

The parade is returning for 2022, though I assume without the "150" angle. The floats are housed in a storage building near GateKeeper.

Last edited by Walt,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service