News: Labor challenges force Cedar Point to adjust operating calendar

I did hospital housekeeping for about a year when I was burned out on retail and college. Honestly the worst part about the position is the stigma with it. Meeting new people and they ask you what you do and you get a look. Within the hospital there were groups of people who would very obviously avoid having conversations with housekeeping staff other than telling them to clean something. They didn't consider us smart enough or otherwise worthy of their time which I found aggravating and rather amusing at the same time since I already had more college credits accumulated than it takes to get an associate RN degree but because I was mopping the floor I was considered not good enough. My husband worked there too so mostly people who worked around him treated me different because they knew my background. These days I'm not sure if I would care about the stigma if people think you're dumb they just expect less of you and at this point in life I see a certain amount of value in that.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any "contract language" regarding the duration of the increase to $20/hr. My gut tells me they would have to keep the policy in place for the remainder of the season. No one would want to be hired on, only to have their pay cut in half in a few weeks when staffing levels are met.

I would also venture to guess that all current employees would have to sign contracts as well.

Campfreak06, reborn

My roommate's also from the Detroit area, and pretty much is a walking example of doing pretty dang good for himself with a healthcare technical job that's been almost all on-the-job training or we'll-pay-for-you-to-get-this-certification training versus college.

I haven't met his friends in person, but I know at least one of his other friends is mid-20s, no college degree, but managed to get into a factory gig with one of the big three and he's pretty much already set for as long as he wants it. The tides are definitely changing in that regards for people that look for it.

I feel like a lot of awareness of those sorts of jobs really depends on where you are and kind of the job trends in an area to begin with; for the Detroit area of course folks would already be well aware about union manufacturing gigs because it's Detroit, but re: other skilled trade gigs I also know a lot of folks from where I grew up in the Ohio River Valley who either went down that road from the beginning or who've been changing paths based on positive word of mouth from folks who did.

I guess another reason that there could be a staffing shortage is that after being cooped up for a year and a half due to covid restrictions, high school and college students would rather spend their summer out partying and not tied down with a summer job. (now that restrictions are greatly loosened)

Can't say I blame them....

Campfreak06, reborn

I really wouldn't blame my son if he chose to do that, he graduates Friday, but he's been planning to work and just committed to buying a car this evening so off to work he goes.

Just to make unemployment clear, in Michigan both my son and his friend got unemployment. If they worked enough hours prior to Covid shutdown they qualified for unemployment including the $600 a week Federal unemployment.

2020TpForSale said:

$450/week on unemployment or $600/week for a 40 hr work week. Most people are going to choose the unemployment EVERY time.

What data do you have to back that up?

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

2020TpForSale said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any "contract language" regarding the duration of the increase to $20/hr. My gut tells me they would have to keep the policy in place for the remainder of the season. No one would want to be hired on, only to have their pay cut in half in a few weeks when staffing levels are met.

I would also venture to guess that all current employees would have to sign contracts as well.

The increase is for 2021 only at this point. It is being paid as a hourly bonus per hour on top of a base pay increase to equal the 20. Contracts haven’t been a thing for seasonal associates for several seasons so that isn’t a factor.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service