Gerstlauer Announcement

My vote is Silver Dollar City. They’ve always dreamed of their own Mystery Mine ride, it’s been rumored for years, and now I’ve heard a construction wall has gone up along the area where the Waterboggan was- the tower still stands.
I think it stands to reason. It certainly checks off all the boxes.

It would be an odd location for a thrill coaster, with the construction wall at the back of the Fireman's Landing kids area. Right now, that area is a dead end. They way it's currently set up, that would mean the path to this new thrill coaster would go right through the very busy (and honestly pretty small) kids area that is Fireman's Landing.

I personally think that if it's a coaster for that spot, it would be something more like Dragonflier that Dollywood just installed. We'll see.

Last edited by James Parker jr,

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

I recall the area that formerly had Waterboggan went all the way up the hill. There’s plenty of room for a thrill ride with access from the top and no need to disturb Fireman’s Landing.
I like the idea of a ride like Dragonflier, though. It’s an awesome little ride and would be a great addition to SDC. And it could fix that dead end situation.
I also like the idea of something like Firechaser at Dollywood, also a wonderful family thrill ride. And there you’d have the theme built right in. Oh, it also happens to be a Gerstlauer.

Per the first quarter results, a direct quote from Zimmerman:

We intend to invest approximately $100 million in our parks during the year, with roughly a third focused on the completion of select unfinished 2020 projects, including renovations at some of our resort properties; another third focused on essential compliance and infrastructure requirements for the current season; and the final third directed at the start of projects planned for the 2022 season.”

That's roughly $30 million spread over the chain for the start of 2022 projects.

Not sure that translates into a record-breaking Gerstlauer coaster for 2022.

All jokes/sarcasm/memes/gifs aside, I cannot even begin to fathom something "big" coming until, at the earliest, the 2023 season. Happy to be wrong, but I cannot see how it's financially feasible.

It's entirely possible that the park originally had something planned for this year, which for the park is really last year all over again, but all these decisions are fluid and subject to change. I don't think anyone (much less enthusiasts) really had a reasonable grasp of the economic tsunami that awaited the Cedar Fair chain. The sh$% didn't just hit the fan, it broke it. It can be rebuilt, but not in a single season when things still won't be 100% "normal".

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who picked up on that. 30 million doesn’t come close to touching the cost of a major attraction anywhere. I think the next few seasons you’ll see minor improvements to the parks but I agree with Kevin, I think 2023 is a good guess for the next big ride at Cedar Point. They stated that even in the first quarter this year they’ve basically had zero income so everything hinges on the other parks; but not having the Canada park open hurts a lot…I think it’ll be quite awhile before we see big capital projects again.

I'm very naive when it comes to large business deals of the scale of a modern roller coaster, that being said I would think they're not paying cash for this when they want it I would think there's a lot of forward planning involved and quite possibly paid years ahead of time? If that's the case could this be something that they've paid for already and are just waiting for the opportunity to put up?

I certainly see and think the points that there won't be any major additions in the next couple years make the most sense. But at the same time I have wondered how that works and if it's possible that that's already in the plans. Somebody had to pay for that new coaster they are talking and I'm not sure who other than one of the large chains could have afforded it?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

I think the only way that this coaster is for CP is if it were partially paid for from the 2020 expenditures and originally planned to open this year. Cedar Fair going ultra cheap with tiny operating calendars is so sad, but they've got their plan and they're going to try and make it work. While pretty much every other park is expanding the calendar and adding filler experiences, Cedar Fair is playing it about as conservatively as they can.

Kings Dominion is perhaps the biggest example. They are opening two months late and have a comically short summer calendar. Meanwhile, SFA opened in early March and is picking up some positive reviews for the first time in forever and BGW went year round, although it's been a rough start with that, if you follow BGWfans at all.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Kevinj said:

Per the first quarter results, a direct quote from Zimmerman:

We intend to invest approximately $100 million in our parks during the year, with roughly a third focused on the completion of select unfinished 2020 projects, including renovations at some of our resort properties; another third focused on essential compliance and infrastructure requirements for the current season; and the final third directed at the start of projects planned for the 2022 season.

We know CF likes to start projects early so they hit their respective opening days (unlike SF). This could simply mean 1/3 of this money is earmarked to start clearing land, pouring footers, putting up fences, removal of any necessary buildings or rides. I don't think it means that ONLY 30-33mil is for 2022 capex.

I am still one who does not think the Gerstlauer will be installed at Point next season, but I also don't think it cancels out a new coaster at any CF park.

That's not how I read that at all. I read it as "there are projects slated to open in 2022, and this money will go toward getting those projects going."

Besides, if that $30 million is for projects opening in 2022 and some opening in 2023 as you suggest, there's even less money to go around, making a coaster less likely, no?

Brandon

Major attractions usually require a minimum of a four year lead time, sometimes more, seldom less. From what I have observed, there wasn't any big ticket items planned for the Sesquicentennial. Anything that might have been planned for this year, or next was more than likely paused both by the park and the manufacturer. It will take some time for both parties to come back up to speed, so I would be surprised if there is anything that was scheduled five years ago showing up per that schedule time line.

djDaemon said:

That's not how I read that at all. I read it as "there are projects slated to open in 2022, and this money will go toward getting those projects going."

Besides, if that $30 million is for projects opening in 2022 and some opening in 2023 as you suggest, there's even less money to go around, making a coaster less likely, no?

I think we read it the same way, but communicated it differently.

I suggest the opposite, that that's $30mil on the 2021 budget that will used to begin 2022 projects. I could be wrong, and probably am, but to me it reads like they have marked 2021 money to be used in 4th quarter to be used to begin projects that have a 2022 opening date.

Also, not trying to suggest that it means HUGE spending is to come, I just don't think it means 30 million is the only money that will be used for 2022 capex. I'm sure we will see in the 75-100mil range spent again for 2022 chain wide.

Last edited by WolfBobs,

I think you are correct. Cedar Fair is known for funding their capex projects out of their operating budget. That's why traditionally they have always posted huge losses in the first and fourth quarters, because that's when they spend their capex money. Then in the second and third quarters they earn it all back. With the extended seasons and year-round operations at Knott's, that pattern is a little less extreme than it used to be, but it's still the general pattern.

Put me in the camp that says the roughly $30M described in the report is money to be spent in the 3rd and 4th quarters this year for capital projects that will mostly be paid for in the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2022.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

if a gertslauer is indeed coming to CP could it be something like Fury where you can pick which direction you want to go? Look it up on youtube. that would be something not seen in the US..

Pretty sure major capex is amortized.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

has anyone done any researching on the county or city page for any diagrams or easements or the such for the new coaster? if anything there should be something...

How do people find the coaster diagrams for coasters so easy? I know a couple coasters that came out in the past 5 years someone found on-line before they were announced.

I also heard the announcement might come this month.

Another off the wall thought. Lost island is in progress of construction.

What if it's going there?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

ok.. the camera is on valravn.. if you look towards the old cedar dorms site there are what look to be square markings by trees and it looks like they took out the stop sign (there is a spot right under the loop after the 2nd dive that has 4 small posts). there is something going on there.... what... dunno.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service