News: Cedar Point to offer Restriction-Free Access to the park for vaccinated guests

April Fool's Day 2021

SANDUSKY, Ohio – The health and safety of park guests will always be a primary factor in decisions regarding park operations, and Cedar Point has worked hard to create a fun and safe environment to remain open to guests during the pandemic. While wearing masks inside the park, social distancing in ride queues and limited ride occupancy restrictions will remain in place at the park’s opening, Cedar Point is thrilled to announce “Restriction-Free-Weekdays” during the month of May to those individuals that can show a valid vaccination card.

“Weekdays in May are a long-standing tradition for many guests, especially those who visit the park locally,” explained Tony Clark, Director of Communications for Cedar Point. Working with the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) helped make this possible. Stephanie McCloud, director for ODH, applauds Cedar Point’s efforts last summer and their continued efforts to find ways to operate safely. “Now, with evidence from the CDC that the vaccines not only drastically reduce one’s chances of becoming infected with Covid-19 but also spreading it to others, businesses should have the opportunity to provide what they feel is best for their guests,” explained McCloud. “Cedar Point has gone above and beyond the guidelines established for reopening set by the state, and now guests who have been able to get vaccinated can enjoy the park in the way it was meant to be enjoyed.”

The “Restriction-Free Weekdays” will be May 17th – May 20th, and May 24th – May 27th. Guests will need to have a valid vaccination card that indicates at least two weeks have passed since the guest’s second dose of a Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine.

Exact hours of operation have yet to be determined for these bonus days, which were not initially in the park’s operating calendar recently released. “No one wants a return to normal, restriction-free operations more than all of us at Cedar Point,” stated Jason McClure, general manager of the park. “While the exact day of when that will be possible is the big unknown, we are thrilled to be able to offer this experience for our guests.”

Ohio’s governor, Mike Dewine, has stated Covid-19 restrictions would be lifted when the state maintains an infection rate of 50 cases per 100,000 for two straight weeks.

Last edited by Walt,

Promoter of fog.

This is either a really good idea or a really bad one. We’ll see.

Dammit.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Perhaps they'll do a trial run during this year's "soft opening" for friends and family of Black-Shirt Higher-Ups May 10-13?

Last edited by AndyG,

I actually had to look this up to see if this was legit. I'm so used to the Hooters story haha

Weather Freak
Ride Warrior

Our Reservations going to be at the Park this year?

Thanks, Kevin, for carrying on the April 1 tradition this year!

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

So is this true, or was it a gag? I honestly can't tell.

Given that there is no such press release anywhere else on the Internet, I think we can assume this to be this year's gag.

If it were legit I would already have booked the time off from work!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

SarahB1863 said:

So is this true, or was it a gag? I honestly can't tell.

It was a joke.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

It had enough of a hint of believability and plausibility to make it sound legit. Kudos to you, sir! Well done

I am curious to see what next years crop of fake stories will be. Since making false quotes from named individuals is deemed acceptable on 4/1 I figure there should be some doozies.

Maybe it started with a president who during his campaign and his term managed to rack up in excess of 30,000 falsehoods.
So yeah, lying is cool.

Anyway, if I’m not mistaken, the perpetrator of this heinous story had the presence of mind to clear the story first.

Clear the story?

And your comment about Trump is my point. Creating false stories, especially concerning a pandemic and vaccines, is over the top to me.

Last edited by Shades,

Actually, I had my tongue in my cheek. I guess it’s safe to say I’m not taking this nearly as serious as you are.
And I was the one who got sucked in. I called friends.

Yeah I'd agree bringing real people into it and quoting them is too much. Its a dark April fools joke not really in the fun spirit of the day.

First ride; Magnum 1994

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it. - E.B. White

So I'll stop short of the dissection and simply say, based on the variety of responses, this year's installment was a success. Certainly more than anticipated.

You can quote me on that.

And yes, "cleared the story", meaning it was run past the black-shirt-higher-ups for a blessing. It's not my website.

'til next year...

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Kevin, I thought it was good. Just short of genius. One of the best ones yet. I almost fell for it. When it wasn't on their website I thought, "Oh, oh, CP won't like this." Glad to hear they went along with the joke.

As a person who doesn't necessarily pay much attention to the date when I am reading posts like this it got me as well.

I even posted I was excited as I get my 2nd dose on the 17th. lol I deleted it when I realized I was bamboozeled.

As an April Fool's prank, well done!

I wish it were true.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service