Black shirt higher-ups

Today we're in the park (8/15/20), and we stop at the Corral first thing in the morning (11am). While we are getting our food we notice a few gentlemen in fancy white executive chef uniforms. We were also served by a gentleman by the name of Chris wearing a black polo. As many of you notice throughout the park, different positions wear different colors. I know supervisors wear green. But we've never seen black before. He offered us some delicious secret project food item that they were considering adding to the menu (it was fantastic). As he was serving us, I jokingly asked what you have to do to get a black shirt, and the chef executive put his hand high up in air to symbolize he was high up the chain. He wanted us to review the food item, and him and a few others came and talked with us about the secret sandwich. He was very nice, and it was cool talking to this mystery man. After they left, we started noticing a few people with black Cedar Point polos, and some of them even has the garbage picking grabber tool. Is there some sort of event for management to come experience what it's like for the lower level workers? Anyone else know why there would be so many (about 10-15) of these people around?

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Quite probable that was Chris Near, VP of Food & Beverage. His father, Bill Near, held that position when I worked at CP.

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

The uniforms and tiers of the hierarchy are a little different by department, but with the uniform you described would be management of some level. Within rides, ride hosts wear red and blue (gray and khaki this year), team leaders and location supervisor wear the teal "cedar fair supervisor" shirts with khakis, area supervisors wear a cedar point polo and khaki pants, then managers of any level wear a cedar point polo and dress pants that aren't khakis.

The ones you saw with the garbage grabbers were likely park services supervisors or the manager.

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Well if it was correct in saying it was Chris Near, we seen him about 1-2 hours later walking the park and had the grabbers with him. Why would the VP of food and beverage be walking around with grabbers along with other employees on the same tier level? Nice to know he along with others has to put "their boots on the ground" from time to time

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Don't let the grabbers be a factor in what level of management you were speaking to. When I worked at the park, everyone from Supervisor level up to John Hildebrandt (VP/Park GM) carried those to pick up trash throughout the park. This isn't exclusive to Cedar Point either as you can visit Universal, Disney, Sea World and see executive level members carrying those around. Nobody is above picking up trash off the midway.

Those who hold the positions that decide what food items, attractions, shows, rides, etc end up in the park will often go out and do just what you experienced to understand what guests want. The best way to know what guests think is to go out and ask them first hand. Plus this kind of management typically spend 5 days a week in an office so they enjoy getting out into the park and talking to guests. This I can confirm from experience.

Last edited by 99er,

I've been to the park every year for the past 10 years, and seeing/experiencing this was a first time for me. Actually meeting someone like that was nice, just wondering why there were so many out and about today of all days

Most likely because one of the leaders wanted to get out and spend time with guests and he brought his team along. It breaks up the monotony of office work. This is typical with any department that operates with guest interaction. The boss has a meeting with some talking points about what is happening in the park and then he brings everyone out for a "walk" of the locations they oversee and to meet with guests to chat about their day. It's honestly one of my favorite things to do even though it can be difficult getting the team excited about leaving the A/C to go and talk to guests...ha.

Last edited by 99er,

Well I'm impressed with their ability to get so many higher ups out and about. We seen quite a few out there. Wonder if it has anything to do with them going to weekends only? Also I was told by our new friend that the Mac & cheese shack is projected to open August 29th.

Well when the boss says "Lets go!" you don't have much of an option.

^ Also, the boss says "let's go, and I want every one of you to carry a trash grabber so that the guests do not get the impression that we are wandering aimlessly and not being productive. It is for appearances as well as chipping in to keep the park clean and neat. When the public sees you, I want a good first impression like the one that Chris 99er got. All of you have your polos, white outfits, and all neat and clean. Let's go get em!"

I have been impressed with nearly every employee of any level I have encountered this season. I believe they (CP) have really, really worked hard under these difficult circumstances. The workers that have come from the neighboring Cedar Fair parks have been a pleasure to chat with.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

We all must note this date in history. We have witnessed the birth of a Cedar Point meme.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Glad I could help

The leadership uniform rules are actually:

If your wearing a polo type of shirt it has to be Cedar Point branded.

Unbranded (no external logo) button-down dress shirts are permitted.

Long pants either black or khaki.

Hats need to be park branded.

Face coverings can be patterned but may not have words or symbols on them when public-facing.

The shirt color is not an indicator of anything except the personal preference of the wearer.

The branded polos and fall coats are offered for purchase a few times a year to leadership.

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

Promoter of fog.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service