Virus Impact on CP

What are they supposed to do, act like they don’t need the help? They still do, no matter how long the season lasts and they’d be foolish not to advertise that they have a need.
When I walked in on Thursday I was along side an employee coming into work. I don’t know what his usual job is- maybe he’s a teacher, maybe he’s retired. He mentioned he was a former ride op, with Rotor being one of them, so it’s been a minute.
Anyway, he was a nice guy who said he stepped up because they “needed the help so bad”.
Another thing I noticed on that day was the appearance of the employees. Hair on some of the men was long, and in a couple of cases I mean really long. There was quite a bit of scruff peeking out from under those masks as well. And to be perfectly clear, I’m not one to make judgements about things like that, and each employee I encountered was courteous and professional. I know that guidelines have been relaxed so that may have been it. Or, they’ve tossed everything out and are taking anybody.

I think the evidence of a shorter season is stronger. If they are forced to cut their losses and only open for weekends coming up here soon, then how do they expect to keep employees at all between now and Halloween? The college kids will be gone and the ones left looking for occasional hours will be HS students and foreign workers.

I'd ran into a number of long time ride ops as well. Interesting.

And to my understanding and previous attention they have relaxed on the beards and hair pretty substantially the virus aside. I hadn't thought they may have been making exceptions.

I don't have any insider knowledge of course. Just trying to deduce what's going on with the information we have.

Interestingly their stock price keeps dropping, hopefully this recover soon.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

When I worked at the park it wasn't unheard of to bring in a new employee the weekend before closing weekend just so you could get 3 days work out of someone. This was during a normal season so it wouldn't be shocking at all to see this now.

Interesting, I wonder what the ROI looks like on that.

DJ Fischer

If it meant keeping an attraction, food stand, games location open for three more days, probably a lot.

For the many like me who are unlikely to be visiting the park this season (due to health concerns, state travel restrictions, or other), this video gives a nice look at what the 2020 park experience is like.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Thank you, fantastic, great video !!!

What day was the video shot ? How much total footage (time) was shot ? What was the camera ? what was the editing platform ?

Again, GREAT !!!

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

Just watched a couple minutes will be watching more later.

The video is awesome but the sound alone is amazing. I can just close my eyes and I'm back there pre covid with the sounds of a bustling amusement park enjoying a day on the point. A mental escape.

Outstanding. Thank you!

DJ Fischer

Face your Fear at Mount Union at the 7:36 mark....

In all honesty, awesome video. We were there 5 days earlier.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

The video is not mine, so I can't answer a lot of the earlier questions. It does have subtitles at the beginning which indicate it was shot on Tuesday July 21st.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

At first I was like...wait....Chuck Wagon is Coaster Bob? :)

Still....thanks for posting it. Just crazy he got that shot of my students' project. Small world.

Promoter of fog.

I was there that day. Haven't had a chance to hunt for myself in the footage. Realized I spend most of my time back in frontier town and on frontier trail. Something nostalgic about that area.

DJ Fischer

We had our trip planned for this upcoming weekend (from NY) and had to cancel it last week because Ohio was still on NYs mandatory quarantine list. As of this morning, Ohio has been removed so now our trip is back on! Worst part is that we had to rebook a more expensive room

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

That was a great video. Made me really sorry I won’t be there this year but also made me realize how many rides aren’t operating. The 2021 season can’t come soon enough!!!

MrJohnJLewis said:

We had our trip planned for this upcoming weekend (from NY) and had to cancel it last week because Ohio was still on NYs mandatory quarantine list. As of this morning, Ohio has been removed so now our trip is back on! Worst part is that we had to rebook a more expensive room

Theoretical question, so what happens if while you're here Ohio goes back on the NY mandatory quarantine list ?

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

Not worthy of a new thread and seems somewhat related to this thread; but, I'm not finding what I'm trying to learn at the CP site. Does anyone know if Bay Harbor and Famous Dave's now open for indoor dining? If so, are we able to visit them even though we aren't planning to visit the park?

Last edited by Western Cruiser,

I can't speak to Bay harbor never visited but famous dave's dining room was open the 4th for the fireworks show.

DJ Fischer

In wonder if they are regretting the reduced August operating calendar. We visited twice in the last two weeks (8/5, 6 and 13) and it was very busy all 3 weekdays. I know they must have significant staff challenges but we observed most drink and food stands open and all coasters operated all 3 days. Lines were quite long as well for pretty much every coaster. We personally waited 45 minutes for Magnum and Rougarou, the app showed 30-60 minute waits for rides like Corkscrew and Blue Streak.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

I know if they were open there's a good chance I would have snuck out at least once during this week if not twice. Probably going to try Sunday afternoon. I'm disappointed that there are no Friday evenings this year but take what we can get.

The title of this topic is Virus Impact on CP. Well, someone is super serious about eradicating that nasty virus Yesterday, there was a diligent employee spraying the daylights out of that giant cow in front of Tofts. I was quite impressed by her efforts, it sits behind a fence, but perhaps people climb in there for selfies. I mean, she was drenching that animal and wiping all areas, all areas.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service