TTD!

Credit to the Cedar Point Nation facebook page but they said they CP spent 2 million dollars for a new motor for TTD! Anyone hear about this or see this?

I have not, but I did see them testing it yesterday. Still not open though

Is it a Hemi? :)

Considering it has like 40 motors on the drum, that seems like an inflated figure...

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

If I understand the WCO information I gathered they overhauled the motor room rather extensively. What this involves I have no clue but I wouldn't be surprised if it involves pumps, accumulators, motors, etc...

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Yeah it's a nightmare in there, not to mention that they had to up the HVAC in there, which apparently Intamin didn't allow for originally. I doesn't get as hot and sticky at Knotts where the first ride was installed as it does in Sandusky in July and August

Does anyone know if replacing the motors on TTD has affected the ride experience of the launch? I saw an off-ride clip on YouTube of it running this week.

Is the launch still as fun and forceful as its always been? Is there a noticeable difference? Any changes at all?

If someone could share/compare their ride experience I would appreciate it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that it could possibly make too much of a difference. the train still has to reach 120+mph in it's set track length to make it over the hill, so i don't think that the experience would be too different.

Odd thing I noticed today. They are running all 6 trains not just 5 like normal. I wonder if it helps capacity with covid operations or what the reason is.

DJ Fischer

They were not running all 6 trains. They test all 6 in the morning and sometimes during the day there will be 6 on the track while they transfer on and off for various reasons.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Ah! That makes a lot of sense. I'll keep my eyes on the trains when they let the line populate.

DJ Fischer

! said:

Does anyone know if replacing the motors on TTD has affected the ride experience of the launch? I saw an off-ride clip on YouTube of it running this week.

Is the launch still as fun and forceful as its always been? Is there a noticeable difference? Any changes at all?

If someone could share/compare their ride experience I would appreciate it.

My group got 2 rides on it Saturday. The launch is as good as it's always been. Forceful, consistent, & smooth all the way through. I assume the rebuild was to help reliability. Be glad CP keeps up on this the way they do, King Da Ka's launch is...uneven/jerky. Hard to explain unless you've ridden it.

Red Garter Rob said:

They were not running all 6 trains. They test all 6 in the morning and sometimes during the day there will be 6 on the track while they transfer on and off for various reasons.

Pshhh..

Like you even know what you're talking about.

Rob was right they transferred the 6th off before operating the ride.

I got two rides yesterday. No change in forces or anything but still a good a ride as ever.

From what I understand most of the launch system was EOL and it was time for overhaul. I saw no rollbacks even during testing so maybe a computer or system adjustment to minimize that as well?

I understand the smoothness difference has been attributed to the restraints. Dragster has low restraints and a low COG while KA has a high COG because of the OTS restraints.

DJ Fischer

Park opens 2 months late, TTD still opens late. Hopefully its reliability is much improved after the changes.

First ride; Magnum 1994

Time to spend some money on the troublesome brake hydraulics for the brake fins on the launch to drop properly. EVERY time I have been to the park the ride goes down because of a pesky few that won’t drop fully or at all during a launch. Maintenance has to roll out the JLG lift and hit it with wd40 and exercise the piston because a couple sticking fin assemblies are enough to cause a train to not clear the peak and roll back. I believe the entire rollback brake system is air pneumatic.

Blue people fly sideways when it rains

To my understanding and observation you are correct.

Each fin is mounted on a pneumatic linear actuator that is spring loaded into the "applied" position, in as such if there were to be an all encompassing power loss all brakes would return to the up position bringing all trains to a stop at the end of it's associated block section. I believe the tires are setup in the same way.

They are moved out of the way through applied air pressure. Why they get sticky I'm curious to know as it's a rather simple device. Now the air distribution system on the other hand I can see being an endless headache. I was studying it while waiting in line and at 4 fins per distribution box (or pump possibly but not sure on that one) if one of those konks out it's done.

DJ Fischer

Here ya go ,Twisted, Fluid Power 101 for roller coasters https://www.quincycompressor.com/compressed-air-and-roller-coasters/

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service