Rides not conducive to social distancing...

in the list of what to expect, it says "Some areas, rides and attractions are not conducive to social distancing and are closed for now." Does anybody know what rides that could be? I really hope we don't get up there on the 9th and the MF, TTD. Etc are all closed.

Rides, not Rideds

They already announced that Snake River Falls, Snake River Expeditions, and Snoopy Bounce House will not open. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more, but I haven't seen anything official.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

I expect Gemini not to be racing. But I also expect staffing to be the actual reason.

Thunder Canyon would certainly have significantly reduced capacity with 2-4 person rafts. Tends to be lots of screaming and some of the waterfalls could certainly rip masks off.

I would honestly be surprised if Thunder Canyon opens

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

One of my Facebook friends posted that he's been hired for the Thunder Canyon crew. So it sounds like they're at least planning to open it.

As someone who has worked a Skycoaster, I would think that's also a ride that would make social distancing difficult. Operating it requires prolonged close contact between the crew and the flyers, much moreso than just checking a lap bar or seatbelt.

I also don't think SkyRide would be conducive. Wouldn't ride hosts need to wipe down every cart after it comes into station? There wouldn't be enough time I'd imagine.

Weather Freak
Ride Warrior

No more than they need to wipe down every railing or bench every time someone uses them.

Skyride has been testing so I assume its going to operate.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Just got off Sky Ride. They are wiping each car down as it comes into the station.

Are they running all the cars on SkyRide? If so how do they have time? Those ops hustle but I can’t imagine adding a full interior wipe down on top of that.

Now I haven't been there but I theorized the following.

To clean sky ride, if they sprayed each car as the passengers exited with the same cleaner they use on the coasters, and ran that car empty and loaded the next one (so it can take a trip to dry) you could run all the cars and probably meet current capacity without issue. Plus if there weren't riders they wouldn't need to spray it down so if demand spikes you would likely have a good run of cars that are coming in cleaned and ready to go. If things really got busy operations would look something along the lines of: load cleaned car, empty used car, disinfect used car and lock and launch, load next clean car, empty and disinfect, etc etc. You would be running every otherish as one drying and one loaded.

I don't know if its practical but that seems to make sense in my head.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

I'll be curious to see how they handle Sky Ride. When running all cabins, 37, the timing allows for each cabin to be in the station for roughly 52 seconds (13 seconds per "step"), and often times that's barely enough to unload and reload guests, let alone disinfect.

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Cargo Shorts said:

Are they running all the cars on SkyRide? If so how do they have time? Those ops hustle but I can’t imagine adding a full interior wipe down on top of that.

I would estimate about 10-15 cars were offline. So they had more time between. There was no line at either station.

They were running a very minimal number of cabins on Sky Ride yesterday. It was roughly just 1 cabin between each of the support towers.

The bigger surprise to me (even though it makes complete sense) is how rides were being unloaded. Coasters were unloaded 1 row at a time, and the next row wasn't unloaded until the prior row of passengers cleared the platform. While it makes total sense because it keeps groups socially distanced as they're exiting, it's a very long, slow process. Raptor, Millennium, and Maverick had all 3/6 trains running, but there was definitely no need for that capacity given the length of the unloading process. Troika was unloaded several cars at a time. Giant Wheel waited for each cabin of passengers to clear the exit ramp before unloading the next cabin. The weird one was Antique Cars, as the ride host still has to be basically on top of the driver in order to bring the cars into the station.

Also, probably no surprise, but the Barnyard is not open. Part of it is being used as a mask relief area.

^Kings Island was doing a somewhat similar process in terms of unloading, where they would do two rows at a time (one in front of the train, and one in the back, working to the middle). But they weren't waiting for the people to completely clear the platform. I'd say they were giving about 5 seconds between each "clearing." So it was slower, but not terrible. They were not doing it on Orion, but all other rides were following that process.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Just got confirmation from Tony.

Major coasters may have boarding times assigned to maintain social distancing: https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/1280989376793710602?s=20

Last edited by TwistedCircuits,

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service