Shortened Hours

I agree, I'd rather see them open an hour or two later instead of closing before dark. The after dark atmosphere with all the lights is one of my favorite things about the park.

My first thought with closing before dark meant they would save quite a bit on electricity, but I'm guessing a couple cycles of Wicked Twister or Maverick burn through as much electricity as all the park lighting, especially with a lot of lights being switched over to LED.

Do we actually think that if they’re trying to save money on electricity that it would be more about light bulbs than running of rides? I’d think launched rides, like Maverick, TTD, and Wicked Twister are huge consumers of power. Many bulbs have been changed to LED anyway.

edit: sorry for the overlap

Last edited by RCMAC,

I am all for reintroducing the idea of a siesta, say from 4-7 and staying open until midnight. :D

They leave the lights on all night anyway do they not

First ride; Magnum 1994

That has to be the best idea yet! Let's start a movement!

We had a nap pod system all worked out but that was pre-Covid.

They Mayflies must be endangered, Cedar Point doesn't want us riding Millennium Force at night and getting bugs stuck in our teeth

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Now I'm having war flashbacks to my first MF front seat night ride. Not only was it gross, it was painful. Every bug that hit my face felt like a tiny rock and it killed my enjoyment of one of my favorite coasters.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Might I suggest a comfortable face covering?

Promoter of fog.

But my mask is from Homage! I don't wanna get it all covered in bug gunk. :P

Sollybeast said:

Now I'm having war flashbacks to my first MF front seat night ride. Not only was it gross, it was painful. Every bug that hit my face felt like a tiny rock and it killed my enjoyment of one of my favorite coasters.

I can't decide what's worse. A mouth/face full or the smell of the cooked bugs in the Steel Vengeance queue with all of the spotlights

Thankful Panda isn’t over by Steele Vengeance or the combo could be.....

Thanks cargo now my brain is working on just what exactly would SteVe light roasted mayflies and Panda express smells combined would be exactly.

I think it's settled on a week old crime scene in the back alley behind one of the better establishments in China Town in the peak of summer somewhere in July/August.

I have no clue what to do with this thought. But again thank you very much. Maybe we could invent some sort of ultrasonic mayfly repellent that we can blast off hidden speakers around the park?

I'm sure the Nap Pod idea would still work if we just had a bidet inside that uses the same hospital grade solvents and cleaners they are using everywhere else that power-washes the inside between uses. And the HVAC system cycles the entire volume of air in all the pods every couple of seconds through a HEPA level filtration system and or the pool water from CPS. What do y'all think?

Cargo Shorts said:

Thankful Panda isn’t over by Steele Vengeance or the combo could be.....

Hot sauce being thrown at the trains?

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

In regards to the shortened hours, although I certainly wasn't super optimistic about even making a trip to Cedar Point this year, having the park close at 8 pm daily is probably enough to cement that decision. We always stay on site when we go, and love the resort atmosphere, but this year, I just don't know what the heck we would do from 8pm on for the rest of the night, especially when we'd probably not be making trips to our favorite spots in Sandusky and the surrounding area.

I only stayed at the park early in the season enough to experience an 8 pm closing time once. Very much had an internal BUT I DON'T WANNA GO I'M NOT SLEEPY dialogue. XD

I killed a bit of time that trip riding the go-karts, which was a fun diversion, but unfortunately the go-karts are now Point Plummet. :P So I'll probably be partaking in an evening swim. Or some porch time with a Surf Lounge pina colada. Or both.

I love the lights to, but my days of wanting to "close the park" died when we started getting season passes years ago.

Or maybe I'm just old. Or a dad. Or both.

By 8:00 I'm ready to kick back and unwind. Usually that's when we all head back to our room and let the girls swim, eat a late dinner, or play some board games together before crashing.

That's one big reason the fall season is so much fun. We go on Sundays (closes at 8:00), but you still get a solid 2-3 hours of darkness to play in.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Agree with all that. If I'm doing a 10-10 summer day and am going to ride 'til close, a mid afternoon nap in the car is a necessity.

I think they have been pretty upfront about the shortened hours -- at least its abundantly clear after media days -- its to save on staff costs -- they can, in essence, have only one shift per day or two part time shifts per day and operate easily on a core staff of employees.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service