Who's Got An Extra 40 Grand Laying Around?

THIS awesome thing could be yours! It's in rough shape, but a little repainting and it'd be an awesome piece. And it's really old school, too- the Swabinchen height checker I recall from my childhood looked like a German marionette girl, which means this kid was there before my time.

Neato, but that price X__x

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

They must be smoking something or have put an extra zero on that price...

If they think they can get $40K for that then I need to see if they want to buy all my old Cedar Point stuff. I could finally retire.

For that kind of price it ought to include the ride!

I do remember that kid. Every ride had the same sign except for the ride name, and on different rides the tree stump was different heights. That kid's arm is at 48".

I'm old enough that I missed this kid long before any of you missed the custom character signs.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

That sign isn't worth $100, unless it was restored. Go pick up some plywood from Home Depot or Lowes and make yourself a replica.

Shoot, I'd spin up an eBay account to make an offer. Anyone else going to put an offer in?

I have a Millennium Force leather jacket I'd sell for that- and It's in good condition.

Good grief! Even in pristine condition that thing would be worth maybe $200. But it's beat up and has graffiti on it. It's worth maybe $50. Maybe not even that.

I'd assume the seller wants CP to buy it and is expecting a huge pay day because they are a huge company

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Either that or they're expecting us coaster nerds to be loaded to the gills. Which I, for one, am not, and I'm fairly certain none of the rest of us are either.

Least, not enough to drop 40 grand for a nostalgia rush. I'm not sure how much a Schwabinchen costs, but you can get a vintage Tilt-A-Whirl for less than that.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

I almost bought a screen replica Jurassic Park Jeep in March. That would have been a much better investment than this sign.

Still mad at myself for not pulling the trigger on it.

The Tilt-A-Whirl would be $34,000 well spent!

If you read the description, they say "make me an offer". They set the price that high because they have no idea what people will pay for it and want to make the most possible from people who don't realize how little it's worth.

Set the price high, ask for offers, and let the people in the free market waste their money.

Last edited by Red Garter Rob,

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Probably would have made my point a bit better had I pointed that out.

So who wants to have a $1 increment bidding war?

And it says condition is NEW. No it's not. That's the exact opposite of new.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

kylepark said:

That sign isn't worth $100, unless it was restored. Go pick up some plywood from Home Depot or Lowes and make yourself a replica.

I would easily and happily pay $200-$250 for it, in the current condition, and much less if it was “Restored”. How would they restore it, sand it down to bare wood and re-paint it or print a recreation of the original design on a vinyl decal and paste it on? What good is that?

Look at the restored paintings of the Sistine Chapel. They are ghastly.

Most restorations are little more than replicas built on whats left of an original base. It turned my stomach watching car ‘restoration’ shows where the proprietors literally bought a worthless rusted out husk of a car at a salvage yard then “restored” it to better than new appearance, full of lead and bondo and new replacement parts everywhere, and sold these Frankensteins for 6 figures to unsuspecting buyers who think it’s a well preserved original.

Tried to convince my wife that a classic, used Tilt-A-Whirl would look really good in the backyard. Doesn't look like it's going to happen...

Try it as an anniversary present.

Oh this sounds like a recipe for some excitement, I'll make popcorn if someone else can bring chairs so we can watch this anniversary present unveiling (grand opening XD?) go down.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service