Cedar Point Shores opening for 2020? Yay or nay?

I have seen exactly zero information on whether any of the Cedar Fair watermarks will open this year, and I was wondering if anyone has solid or even squishy information either way.

Don’t know, but sense Shores may not open at all. Since the park itself isn’t open until July 9, and Shores’ season is normally Memorial Day thru Labor Day only.

The practicality of wearing a mask in a waterpark makes it seem to me like there is little chance of opening as long as that rule is still in place.

Loving Maverick since 2007!

Both very logical conclusions.

No word yet on Shores, however here are some things I have gathered from other opening water parks. The ones that have or plan to open have stated that masks are not required in the actual water park or on water rides, only in their gift shops or restaurants. This is the case for Universals Volcano Bay.

Now, CP Shores generally opens from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. They are not planning on opening until July 9th, if they opened Shores also, that would give them roughly 8.5 weeks of operation time as opposed to their 15 weeks, so cut in half. It may come down to whether or not they will find it work it cost wise to open the water park if its only for half the season.

Somethings I CAN see implemented IF they do.

• Masks to be worn upon entering and in any enclosed shops or restaurants [until seated].
  • No masks on the rides, or in the pools.
  • Chairs reduced and set in small groups [2-4, maybe 6] all six feet apart.
  • Social Distancing markers in ride lines and enforced on rides like the rivers.

This is ALL SPECULATION only, based on what I have seen from other water parks that have been able to open.

Weight Loss Goal: Millennium Force | Trips in 2021: 0

I'm assuming no or we would have heard about it by now there wouldn't be much time left to get in a worth it season for a water park and although he is not normally the best source for correct information the Lemon Chill guy told me Shores won't open and I'm thinking he's probably right on this one.

Rugrats2001 said:

I have seen exactly zero information on whether any of the Cedar Fair watermarks will open this year, and I was wondering if anyone has solid or even squishy information either way.

The Schlitterbahn (sp?) parks have been granted the okay to open and are opening. Maybe already open.

My guess is that CPS will not open this year, mainly due to staffing. The park will struggle enough to staff Point, I doubt they want to take on the challenge for CPS. But that is just my guess, I have no confirmed insider knowledge.

I would go just for Schooner's and Crystal Rock Cafe.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I can tell you zero work has been done at the water park. I walked all around this weekend. I dont see the water park opening. It just doesnt make sense to open it in late July for maybe 6-7 weeks of operations.

Last edited by DSShives,

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Texaas probably has a longer waterpark season so I can see why Schlitterbahn can open. To open CPS for just a few weeks would probably make no sense. And then you also have staffing obstacles.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I thought there was something in the OH reopening plans about waterparks that they could open if social distancing can be maintained. I don’t see how SD is possible in a river or wave pool and those are a decent chunk of the CPS attractions.

My money is on no. It would have been announced already as part of the larger reopening announcement. Kings Island also left out Soak City as well.

Unless they decide to reopen and make that a separate event I doubt it. As others have said it’s not worth the investment from a operations cost and labor standpoint.

12:15pm camera #2 is pointed at Magnum xl 200. In the distance you can see the Wave Pool and along the left side are the tent frames for the Cabanas. I am not certain whether they were recently put into position or do the simply remove the canvas from them each off season. If recently erected, I say some sort of operation is imminent.

They just remove the canvas. The frames stay in place over the off season. There is zero activity going on over there right now.

Steve Shives

I thought that may have been the case. By the way, I know the lake water level is extremely high, has there been any issues such as last years flooding of the Marina lot?

Lots of water in the marina parking lot. It was very high last Saturday and Sunday with the strong and sustained NE winds.

Steve Shives

I'd have to assume that there is some sort of long term plan to address the flooding of the marina parking lot. Last season when we went, it seemed to cross the street and affect Blue Streak. I know by August the flooding seems to go away but still

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

These lake water levels are historically high, if they are forecast to continue as such some mitigation would be welcome. If it is just a blip for a time, perhaps nothing to spend millions on right now. There is 2 sections of Cedar Point Rd. that have been washed out recently, traffic is one lane due to the erosion in those spots. Global warming proponents will tell us that everything is flowing our way. I wonder how the levels are in upper Minn. and the other Great Lakes. I worked at the airport along the lakeshore in CLE for 30 years and witnessed the level rise & recede at various times. I'm sure CP has people much wiser than me looking into it. By the way, if entering via the Chausee you now have 3 parking lot booths there.

Why not just call CP and ask if CPS is going to open? This isn't rocket science.

New for 2024: From Memorial Day through the 4th of July, guests planning to attend Cedar Point Shores can now experience the world's longest lazy river attraction! Guests will board rafts at the main parking lot, traversing the natural lazy river around Perimeter Road, all the way back to Cedar Point Shores! You will get up close and personal with Millennium Force, the CP&LE Railroad, Maverick, and Steel Vengeance, all while the natural bursts of Lake Erie waves crash over onto you!

Last edited by Dvo,

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service