CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

TheBlueStreak said:

Accommodations? Cedar Point has a lovely property along the shore of lake Eerie with multiple accommodations (Camp ground, Breakers, castaway) that can operate independently from the park along with the beach and boardwalk.

I would expect those to open immediately (With pools) and the park will open slightly later.

What? Why? Sure the hotel is nice enough and the beach is cool, but the primary attraction of Breakers is access to the parks. Without those open, who the hell is going?

I'll admit I'd think it would be cool to spend a weekend at Breakers in the winter, but I'm a dork and I don't think many other people would be interested.

To a lot of people, it would be the same as be staying the winter at The Overlook.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

I'm only throwing out possibilities, I'm sure they want to open as much as possible. I would imagine they could open accommodations right now (knock the rates waaay down), I can bet there would be a huge demand since everyone has been locked in their houses and Cedar Fair gets some income.

Then whenever they can open the park they open it!

TheBlueStreak said:

Other parks across the country are opening. It's gonna look bad when Cedar Fairs competitor is open (Six flags and Holiday World) as well as Universal and they're not.

If Ohio doesn't clear Cedar Point and Kings Island to reopen that doesn't mean Cedar Fair won't get parks in other states opened up for the second half of summer. If the hold up is Ohio it wouldn't matter who owned the parks.

I think MaverickLaunch is back! Trolling us again. You got me for a minute. I'm out now though.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

It's possible that all 3 of Six Flags' biggest parks may not open this summer. Magic Mountain, Great America and Great Adventure are all in states that seem very likely to force them to stay closed for a while. Huge years for those parks, too. Sucks.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

I take it IP bans are impossible to enforce in an era of VPNs and the like?

Our governor is an idiot.

Here’s a thought, if your not comfortable going then DON’T GO. Why should us that aren’t afraid of this (mind you it’s a 99.98% recovery rate) go and enjoy ourselves. No one is making you go if you don’t feel safe.

This whole thing is asinine. Stopping a 22 trillion dollar economy for a virus with a 0.02% mortality rate (per the latest CDC numbers)

Open it up all of it and let us decide if we want to enjoy ourselves.

Dewine is useless. As well as Acton.

^Somebody is being forced to go...employees. To put themselves at risk just for your enjoyment. Maybe you should apply and work for minimum wage in "great" conditions, asking people to wear a mask, hoping they don't punch you for asking. At this point, no matter what the government says, I can't see a scenario where a business like Cedar Point doesn't require masks or doesn't enforce social distancing for 2020.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Staaber said:

Here’s a thought, if your not comfortable going then DON’T GO.

You're*

Holiday world isn't enforcing mask, it seems like all needless security theatre.

Also if Cedar Point doesn't open more than 4,000 people (This is just the employees Cedar Point hires, more will go unemployed in Sandusky) won't have a job.

Last edited by TheBlueStreak,

Just because they aren't doesn't mean they shouldn't. Remember, masks aren't to protect you, they're to protect the people around you. Don't be a selfish tool, and consider the people around you may have to go home to a family member with fragile health, or may be in fragile health themselves but have no choice but to go to work.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

The way I look at it for CF to open they wouldn't necessarily need to make a profit, just lose less money than if they stay closed. That is for the bean counters to analyze. Then they need to look at the risk analysis of opening. What could go wrong? A park could become a hotspot and damage it's image, even worse be found liable. By opening they also have to pick sides on the face mask culture war for guests and deal with that fallout. Something unfortunately many struggling business will have to deal with as well making it even harder to get back on their feet.

All this crap isn't helping folks.

Masks aren't magical and if your really in bad health/actually need one i'd advise not to visit a place like Cedar Point.

99.99% of people do not need one and would also be a burden on the staff at Cedar Point.

Last edited by TheBlueStreak,

TheBlueStreak said:

That's false. Lockdowns have been shown to be not effective and are causing a huge amount of damage.

This is not at all a fact. Ask New Zealand. The reason the death toll isn't a million in the US is because people stayed home. The last troll spreading this nonsense was booted from the site. You can be next.

Staaber said:
Here’s a thought, if your not comfortable going then DON’T GO. Why should us that aren’t afraid of this (mind you it’s a 99.98% recovery rate) go and enjoy ourselves. No one is making you go if you don’t feel safe.

If you'd tuck your junk back in your pants for a minute, understand that individual risk has never been the danger of this particular disease. The people who spread it around are the problem, and the very reason that the US now has one-third of the cases and fatalities in the world, but only 4.5% of its population. We're finally number one at something other than incarcerated people per capita. USA! USA!

Willfully ignorant people are the reason we can't have nice things.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Never thought there would be so much angst around the wearing of masks. But to be clear, depending on the type of mask you are wearing, it can absolutely protect you as well as those around you. Depending on where I am going and when (crowd expected, ability to social distance, etc.), I will decide on whether to wear an N95 (properly fitted) or just a cloth mask.

I do have to say that the PPE has provided some good entertainment over the past few weeks and days. Case in point - in line at Chick Fil A the other night (because, well, Chick Fil A is awesome) and saw 2 folks (husband/wife, GF/BF, not sure, but did see them kissing on more than 1 occasion) in their vehicle wearing masks and latex gloves. Took off their masks to kiss, then put them back on. It wasn't as they were driving up to the window to pay. Full on PPE in the vehicle while waiting in what was about a 30 minute line with the windows slightly cracked. The best was when they ran over not 1, but 2 cones separating the lines in the drive thru. It was quality entertainment. It was better than the 1 gentleman wearing a mask in a rural park with not 1 other individual within 500 yards of him outside on an 80 degree, not a cloud in the sky day. Did it bother me? Nope, not at all and to each their own - but I did wonder, why?? Things that make me go HMMMM. Same holds true for the countless number of people I have seen with the masks half on their face, below the nose, barely covering their mouth. Why even try then?

Last edited by ILS 0523,

I saw a man, in line at a Walmart, pull his mask down, cough into his hand and put the mask back on. I weep for humanity. And I'd love to see a couple of (specific) members here visit a hospital in one of the hardest hit areas and talk to the survivors, the people who've lost loved ones (me included), the health care professionals working on the front lines, and the scientists studying this virus and tell them how stupid they really think all of this precaution is.

In fact, I'm sure some of you could do just that. Because you're part of the problem.....not part of the solution.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

James Parker jr said:

It's possible that all 3 of Six Flags' biggest parks may not open this summer. Magic Mountain, Great America and Great Adventure are all in states that seem very likely to force them to stay closed for a while. Huge years for those parks, too. Sucks.

Maybe West Coast Racers will be open by then.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Really, another thread dives into the mask thing? Just a data point...
I read an article recently (what a surprise...) that I can't recall so I don't assume it to be reliable. But its assertions seem reasonable. The author attempted to assign emission rates to various respiration activities: exhaling through the nose, exhaling through the mouth, speaking, coughing, and sneezing*. The point is, the amount of virus someone could emit in each way eventually adds up to an infectious does of virus. The author assigned numbers, but I won't even try that here. But it was something like, if you are standing in front of someone who...
Sneezes*: You're already infected
Coughs: You're probably already infected
Talks: You have about five minutes
Exhales through mouth: You have about fifteen minutes
Exhales through nose: You have about two hours

The point of all this? Only that perhaps it's pointless to get too bent out of shape about people who leave their noses hanging out. Once you realize that the odds of any random person you meet actually having the virus are really quite low (but not zero, and...the whole Schrödinger's Virus thing...), AND you realize that nasal exhalation from an infected person delivers an extremely small amount of virus, you end up with a very small risk...hey, at least give that person some credit for at least trying!

* But sneezing is not supposed to be a symptom of COVID-19, so not sure why it keeps coming up...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

RideMan - the whole point to my post was the lack of common sense that some people seem to be generally lacking (my Chic Fil A example and park example as exhibits A and B). For me personally, I could give 2 craps less about what others do about mask wearing. I have family members (outside of my immediate household) that would fall into the vulnerable population and I am also considering my kids part of being in the vulnerable category. I do what I can to protect myself and my family. As for others, I cannot control what they do nor would I want to. Wear a mask, don't wear a mask - not my place to judge others or say something (which is ironic, I know, given my commenting on this forum about it). Each person can do them, I will do me as I see fit. Your point on the trying part wearing masks is noted and I can respect that viewpoint.

I've had the pleasure of travelling to NYC on more than one occasion and overnighting there. I typically don't get bent about much of anything - just some observations in my travels over the past couple of months as limited as they have been.

I wonder if people understand what their choice of words says about them.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service