CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

Worth checking out this week's Meet the Press...Ohio Gov. DeWine was a guest and the first question was about CP opening....WKYC - Gov DeWine CP question

Very deceptive title to this post. Clickbait! 🤣 Good interview. And just another reason to believe that we may not be riding coasters in Ohio anytime soon.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

A park is not a "mass gathering."

At least on slower days there's no reason you can't stay 6 feet away from other guests the entire time. As of this weekend, several parks are beginning to reopen with social distancing guidelines in place. Cedar Point has several additional challenges that other parks don't face, but I think those can be worked out.

^"A park is not a mass gathering" from a lawyer. So that is in a legal sense. I would like to hear the viewpoint from a doctor...in an infectious diseases sense.

Joe

Other parks across the country are opening. It's gonna look bad when Cedar Fairs competitor is open (Six flags and Holiday World) as well as Universal and they're not.

People will just flock to those places if Cedar Fair doesn't open. Which is why i believe without a doubt they'll be opening VERY soon.

Last edited by TheBlueStreak,

Just because places are opening doesn't mean they're right. This whole thing has turned into something where decisions are being driven by politics and economics, instead of science. Viruses don't care about politics and economics.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Ralph Wiggum said:

Just because places are opening doesn't mean they're right. This whole thing has turned into something where decisions are being driven by politics and economics, instead of science. Viruses don't care about politics and economics.

There's really nothing that can be done about the virus unless your advocating to stay closed down forever. I'm expecting an opening sometime in June. There appears to be a large enough demand for Universal, Six Flags, and Holiday World to open.

^Welcome to the forum TheBSer. Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It makes for terrible forum reading. One of the rules of the group.

Side note...nothing can be done about this virus? Do tell, expert. And share some credentials while you're at it.

Joe

What would you like to be done? Covid has been here since Janaury and eradiction seems implausible. Businesses are starting to reopen as well as tourist attractions such as Universal and other parks.

Mandated lockdown was never a sustainable solution and I'd argue tourist destinations are pretty crucial to local economy's. No income at these places means poverty for lots of people.

There is demand for Cedar Point (as with the other parks opening), I can't foresee why they wouldn't open soon.

I don't know what to do. I'm not in the business of epidemiology or politics...or economics for that matter. But I'm also not running my mouth saying there is nothing that can be done. I may not have the answer, but I'm smart enough to admit that. The more you speak, the more it is obvious that you definitely do not have the answer either. Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true. The fact that you can't foresee why they wouldn't open soon enforces my belief you are no expert.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

Nobody here is an expert regarding this situation and people need to stop acting like it. However, the science is clear that letting a dangerous virus that we still don't completely understand run rampant through the country is just as dangerous to our economy (you know, because of the massive death toll and crumbling of the health care system) as doing a few months of extreme social distancing and following health guidelines.

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

TheBlueStreak said:

Other parks across the country are opening. It's gonna look bad when Cedar Fairs competitor is open (Six flags and Holiday World) as well as Universal and they're not.

People will just flock to those places if Cedar Fair doesn't open. Which is why i believe without a doubt they'll be opening VERY soon.

Except regardless of how bad Cedar Point or Kings Island want to open, they can't offer rides or games as long as the Department of Agriculture is laid off. No matter how ready the parks are, not being able to have inspections impacts any park in Ohio that wants to open up.

Accommodations? Cedar Point has a lovely property along the shore of lake Eerie with multiple accommodations (Camp ground, Breakers, castaway) that can operate independently from the park along with the beach and boardwalk.

I would expect those to open immediately (With pools) and the park will open slightly later.

But you just said people will flock to places like Holiday World and Six Flags if Cedar Point isn't open. So you think opening Hotel Breakers but not the park will be enough for those people to change their plans? ...lol, ok.

I'm only trying to discuss what's feasible. If they opened accommodations I'm sure there would be demand for it (and be some income for Cedar Fair while they prepare the park). Day visitors could also come walk the boardwalk and get an icecream or meal at hotel breakers and relax on the beach.

Cedar Point is fortunate enough to have such a beautiful location that they can use to their advantage.

TheBlueStreak said:

There's really nothing that can be done about the virus unless your advocating to stay closed down forever.

Epidemiologists and infections disease experts laid out a pretty complete plan. The highlights were that controlled reopenings could safely start after infection/death rates declined for 14 days straight. We mostly got bored and decided to not wait for that, as not a single state meet that metric before they started reopening. The plan also assumed that everyone would properly distance and wear masks in public, and stay home if they're symptomatic. We've already seen that none of those steps are being followed either. So perhaps ironically, we'll probably end up suffering from this thing for a lot longer because we got too impatient to follow the guidelines.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Which means we get to go through all of this again over the holiday season and into the new year. What an exciting time it will be to be stuck at home with the Christmas joy.

Less than a minute ago
That's false. Lockdowns have been shown to be not effective and are causing a huge amount of damage.

Also Ohio isn't a mythical land isolated from the rest of the world. If Universal and similar companies can open in the US (Kalahari is also opening) , i feel Cedar Fair has every right as well. There's no difference.

If you feel unsafe, do not go. But there is a big demand that will go, and they will be completely fine.

Saying they will be completely fine is making a bold assumption regardless of what you believe. You can’t back that statement up with any evidence. Further you failed to cite any actual sources when making the claim that the lockdowns were not effective.

I’ll assume that you never did any research projects in school but typically when making an argument for or against something it’s a good idea to cite specific and valid sources to back your argument.

Last edited by mgou58,

In Ohio, the COVID data has been reassuring for the past few weeks. The number of estimated infections peaked roughly a month ago and has been declining since. The peak hospital resource usage peaked 11 days ago and has since slowly declined. Deaths peaked around two weeks ago and have since started declining. Also remember many COVID patients take weeks to die once hospitalized and thus this statistic reflects infections from weeks ago. The number of confirmed cases looks really weird because testing is varied depending on location and often people are only diagnosed after they've already gotten over the infection. Remember, nowhere in Ohio was peak hospital resource capacity met, in fact only roughly 10% was used. Most places prepared for a surge that never remotely reached as bad as some were predicting.

Ohio's reopening plan is a little uneven, as it doesn't quite use the phases other states have been using. The things that have reopened until this past weekend have been pretty minor in terms of exposure and crucial for various other reasons: doctor's offices, elective procedures, manufacturing/construction, and any closed retail (all with precautions). All of these things fall into the federal Phase One guidelines (I think, someone can double check if they want). The rest of the things opening this month are still phase one, but are the riskier things (gyms, religious venues). So based on this the first few things that have reopened did so a week or two too early. We may not have followed every federal guideline to a tee, but overall, we're on track to meet them.

The federal guidelines imply that amusement parks ("large venues") can reopen under phase two with strict precautions in place. The time between phases will have to be based on how the previous phase affected COVID data. I'd say it takes a solid month before data like that can come back. Things could change before then. But if the data at that point is still looking reassuring, we can move to the next phase, Cedar Point could be looking at opening in July sometime, albeit in a limited fashion.

Last edited by Lowkae,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service