'Safari Jane' writes memoir

https://pointbuzz.com/News/Story/3299

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

The summer after the escaped primate there were some t-shirts proclaiming "They shoot monkeys don't they". One of my roommates had one.....

great to see this! Fitting given the 150 this year. Glad she is doing well. I would not mind hearing an update on the Dolphin Trainer from Oceana either. Also miss that show.

Very appropriate for the 150th. A great part of C.P. history!

Ray Barker said:

great to see this! Fitting given the 150 this year. Glad she is doing well. I would not mind hearing an update on the Dolphin Trainer from Oceana either. Also miss that show.

You mean Sheryl Young, the original dolphin trainer at Cedar Point? If I’m not mistaken, she still lives in Sandusky with her husband.

Thanks for the note Rugrats2001. I know there was a lot of disagreement whether the park should have had Oceana by animal rights groups, but I saw that show many times. That trainer cared for those dolphins like she would children and she clearly loved them in the same way. That made the show even more memorable for me. I remember Misty and Breeze and I know there were 2 others before them, but their names escape me at the moment.

Striker & Cocoa, maybe?

Also what did they do with the dolphins during the off season? I just recently learned that SeaWorld Ohio shipped a lot of their animals, including dolphins and orcas, to other parks for the winter... That just seems kinda crazy to me.

Related but not related... Does MarineLand in Niagara Falls, Canada ship their animals out for the winter?

ROUNDABOUND.

I don't think that's true. Pretty sure the whales stayed put.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Having just stopped up there recently. The animals stay.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Rob- At MarineLand? Yeah I forgot about “The Warehouse” there...

Jeff- Let me see if I can find where I read that about SeaWorld Ohio.

ROUNDABOUND.

Aren’t all dolphins everywhere named Skipper and Dolly?

^They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning.......

I went one year on closing day, before halloweekends got huge, an they explained the inflated a giant roof over oceana and the dolphins stayed there over winter.

Well, not really a *giant* roof, but a 'bubble' over the tank...

I know I have seen a photo of it somewhere, taken from the lake side...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service