Matt Ouimet and Dick Kinzel

The latest chapter from the CB20 is about the leadership of the two Cedar Fair CEO's. Probably interesting for the PointBuzz crowd.

https://coasterbuzz.com/Content/coasterbuzz-20

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Thank you for sharing Jeff. While you've posted bits and pieces of your interactions with Kinzel and Ouimet over the years, it's really interesting to read your encounters in more detail with CF's leadership. Great job on the CB 20 series overall!

Thank you. It feels good to think that I got something out of the last 20 years, even if it was just this stupid narrative that I got to write. 😂

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

TL;DR.

No just kidding. :) I've been around and heard bits and pieces of almost all of that over the years and it was still very enjoyable to read and I'm glad you took the time to write it. I suspect it might even be more interesting to someone who hasn't been around CP and reading Pointbuzz as long as I have.

-Matt

The whole series has been very interesting so far. I appreciate that is also a mini-history of Cedar Point's last couple decades. It is wild to see how much the park has changed (physically and "spiritually" for lack of a better word) in the last ten years. The Kinzel era feels so long ago now.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

Ouimet seems more like a down to earth human, and Kinzel seems like he has the personality of his first name.

I don't know if I would go that far. I think in a lot of ways he's a product of his environment. He really only ever had one job. I think the difference between good and great leadership is self-awareness, and I don't think his was high enough.

You see this all of the time in technology. Often a person who can found a company can't grow it. They're different skill sets.

Dick Kinzel's mentor was a man that many during that era referred to as "Bottom Line Bob" If it didn't directly affect the bottom line, he didn't need it. Robert Munger had a volatile temper, from conversations that I have had from people that worked there during that period of time. He was not a "people person," some of that apparently rubbed off on his student.

Dick Kinzel was always up and about the park and the hotel. I found him very friendly, approachable, and conversational. I have nothing but good things to say about him or his tenure.

CP&LE man said:

Dick Kinzel was always up and about the park and the hotel. I found him very friendly, approachable, and conversational. I have nothing but good things to say about him or his tenure.

Same here. I also dealt with Mr. Munger. He was tough, but, as long as you respected him and did your job, he was fine.

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

I think a lot of it comes down to style and is even generational. Say what you want about the “damn millennials” but workplace cultures are becoming less toxic as a new generation decides that happiness and balance are more important than being a work horse just to prove yourself to the boss man.

All styles are not created equal. Command and control does not scale, and I think Kinzel demonstrated that.

I think, Jeff, that your thoughts on Kinzel is pretty open minded, and I appreciate that. Surely there is a lot to celebrate about his accomplishments, but there is also room for criticism. I have enjoyed following this story on CB. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Sandor.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service