Cedar Point Road.....

I'm sure a lot o you enter CP via CP Road. I ALWAYS have. But I've been upset because o the sign that's posted at start o the road. Saying that CP people shouldn't go that way and might be rerouted. What is going on with this?! This was CPs FIRST and only entrance for years before the causeway was made. And it was there way before those fancy houses were there, so where do they get off trying to pull this?? It would be illegal to try and stop people from entering CP from that, OUR, original route. I still go that way. I get it. Theyre trying to eliminate traffic, but they cant be saying we cant go that way! Am I wrong?

Careful, you’ll start a heated conversation about how driving on that road makes you a bad person with absolutely no redeeming qualities.

1: it would NOT be illegal to re-route people as the road is private property. So yes, you ARE wrong.

2: Even though the houses that are there now may be new, there have been houses there for a VERY long time.

3: Most people did NOT use this road in the past and used ferries to get to the park.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

What's the world coming to when you can no longer take your horse to the old Cedar Point Road?

cpworshiper said:

Am I wrong?

Yes.

You may be made somewhat whole by learning that if one starts at where the Cedar Point turnoff is (off route 6), it is equidistant to the park entrance, and technically slightly quicker...assuming you don't speed down Cedar Point Road.

Look at it this way, if you miss the view, you could always take the causeway (like they politely ask you to), and fly a drone up the road on your next visit. It's your god-given right.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

While we're on the discussion of the houses of Cedar Point Road, can the people who live there just... walk to the park?

Please follow the detour on Make Me Whole Boulevard.

Red Garter Rob said:
1: it would NOT be illegal to re-route people as the road is private property. So yes, you ARE wrong.

2: Even though the houses that are there now may be new, there have been houses there for a VERY long time.

3: Most people did NOT use this road in the past and used ferries to get to the park.

You’re wrong it is NOT a private road it’s a county road.

Second cedar point has been there longer than any of the houses

And last it WAS the original entrance to Cedar Point.

Get your facts right before you start stating so called facts.

Last edited by Staaber,

The chaussee absolutely IS privately owned by the park; a search with Erie county property records will confirm this. They can limit traffic in any fashion they so please, provided access is maintained for the properties along it.

A second fact that may be 'so called' is that it is not the original entrance to Cedar Point, rather the second one; the first was farther East and was washed out by storms in the late teens. An Ohio historical marker at Sheldon Marsh confirms this.

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

*sigh*

Yep, don't know what I'm talking about so I'll just delete my account here. Guess I haven't been here long enough to know anything.

Last edited by Red Garter Rob,

VertiGo Rides - 82

Why would you even want to drive down that road? It's in horrible condition. You'll be lucky if you make it through with all parts of your car still attached. I always find it quicker to go to the main entrance. On CP road, there's only one toolbooth so that's a huge bottleneck.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

We've enjoyed driving down it (at the speed limit on cruise control) when we drive to the park very early for 9am entry and when going to chill out every February, but i can see why it's something that could end. Also, as Thabto said, it is in AWFUL shape. Those wealthy homeowners must hate both the seasonal traffic and the near-disastrous conditions of the road. We stopped using it this year.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

It's actually a nice drive; we did it every now and then on non-busy early-season days. It's fun seeing which mansions have been upgraded (it seems like a contest on that road), and of course watching the water break to your right is nice.

But...hearing about the state of the road and the new signage, we avoided it this whole season.

Promoter of fog.

They probably keep the road bad on purpose so nobody except local traffic uses it.

They should RMC the road.

First off, since most of you seem relatively local (Northern OH and Michigan), where in hell are the pristine roads you drive on that makes the Chaussee so terrible? I'm not saying it's in great shape, but you all make it sound like the Oregon Trail and you might break an axle or get dysentery.

Second according to this article in the Register, Sandusky is anticipating CP making some improvements and maybe adding speed cameras.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201906040025

Third, I'm having a hard time deciding which post was funnier: The OP's or Staaber's. Sorry Stabber you seem like a nice person from our interactions on here, but you failed on this one.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Matter of fact, the picture for that article even shows the sign that says "Private property" ;)

Last edited by Red Garter Rob,

VertiGo Rides - 82

operative_me said:

First off, since most of you seem relatively local (Northern OH and Michigan), where in hell are the pristine roads you drive on that makes the Chaussee so terrible? I'm not saying it's in great shape, but you all make it sound like the Oregon Trail and you might break an axle or get dysentery.

The last time we drove on it was Fall of 2018, and it was pretty terrible. There were cones in many places where the road was deteriorated, and going anything more than 30 mph was really not possible. It's no mystery that road has been in really bad shape for years, and getting steadily worse. In fact, we used to joke about how these folks with such incredible homes with such an incredible view live on such a crappy road.

And that was before this year's flooding. Like I mentioned above, we just skipped it altogether this season because we heard from the flooding that it was even worse, and that's pretty hard to imagine, as it was already a pain. Compared to any road here in Louisville (OH), the Chaussee is in terrible shape.

That said, we shot just enough buffalo before starting the trek down the Chaussee in 2018 that we made it. We nearly lost our oldest daughter, but she recovered when we traded some fur for antibiotics at the parking booth.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

^ 30mph you say? So, you are the guy I am stuck behind as I am attempting to reach my desired speed of 48 mph on that stretch, all the while dodging potholes, walkers, joggers, landscapers etc....(sarcasm)

Seriously, I wonder how much time is saved on a 4 mile stretch going 48 as opposed to 30. Probably would catch them at the toll booth, or at the Security checkpoint.

PyroKinesis09 said:
While we're on the discussion of the houses of Cedar Point Road, can the people who live there just... walk to the park?

Sure. But none of them want to.
The road is really long, so only a few of the houses would be considered walkable distance, unless you’re in the mood for a day hike. Then there’s the parking lot to traverse.
Anyway, are you assuming the people there bought those properties to be close to the park? Most will have nothing to do with it, and if they do they go less frequently than you do. It’s desireable for its value as beautiful lakefront property, not as an enthusiast hot spot.
I also laugh whenever I hear the “well, it was always...” argument. Well, guess what? It isn’t anymore.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service