Lake Erie

I just read that Port Clinton was experiencing severe flooding due to historically high water levels on lake erie. More than 3/4 of the docks at our marina on Lake St. Clair outside of Detroit have been 1-3 feet under water for the last month. How are things in and around the park and Sandusky?

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

Excepting Ohio State day today, the weather looks rainy and cold for the near future in Sandusky, flooding has been an issue around the area as well

If you can make it to Ohio state day and to just going to that looks like a nice day today

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

It's good to see Ohio State Day finally here. Tomorrow we be there. I'm planning on arriving there late afternoon for the evening riding.

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

The water is exceptionally high for this time of year. Luckily, the CP Marina has floating docks. I was up on Wednesday afternoon and with the sustained NE winds, the water was flowing over to the marina parking lot. I didnt check, but Im sure the Marina office & store along with Famous Daves had water issues. Port Clinton had some flooding but was confined to right downtown on the river front. This is going to be a reoccurring problem with the high water levels all summer. With the high water levels in the upper Great Lakes yet to make its way down, its going to be a long summer with high water.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Don't worry, all excess water will be confined to the lagoons.

And the Speed Zone. :P

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

DSShives said:

This is going to be a reoccurring problem with the high water levels all summer. With the high water levels in the upper Great Lakes yet to make its way down, its going to be a long summer with high water.

This is what we're hearing in southeast Michigan too. We're already at historic levels and they're predicting that the lake (St. Clair) will rise at least another 7 inches by July due to the water levels above us. Our parks and rec department spent the last few days setting up thousands of sandbags to protect the park from the encroaching water level.

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

I work in Cleveland right along the Cuyahoga near the mouth , and yes the water levels are quite high. I'd estimate coming roughly a foot or so from coming up on to the East Bank.

With the higher water levels it could make it interesting at CP along the beach, or driving the Chaussee if a big storm comes out of the north. I've heard they have been putting a lot of work into shoring up the lake side of the Chaussee in preparation.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

^Craig, I drove on the Chausee yesterday (Friday) at around 3:30pm. Indeed they have been working on the north breakwall, placing those large quarry rocks into position beginning at block 1 and presently to about block 7 or so. I am not certain how far west they will go with this, it is a major construction job. As I looked towards the homes on the south side of the street I could see that the water level behind the homes was encroaching many back yards. Also, around block 6 or 7 there was a pair of bald eagles in the trees behind a home.

The Chausee road is in very poor condition at this time, there is a dingy sign at the Chausee entrance from Rt. 6 stating "No Cedar Point Traffic". The Rt. 6 construction closure is completed as of Thursday evening, the road is open.

I live in Port Clinton. Anytime there is a Nor Easter wind, there is flooding, and not just by the river downtown. Catawba is swamped as well. Thankfully the wind has begun to shift

"Forgiveness is almost always easier to obtain than permission."

1st. St. and the chausse are closed due to flooding.

Chausse traffic is limited to residents. (police posted at the ends)

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

CP is going to look like six flags New Orleans after Katrina if the wind and lake levels don't change soon.

Cedar Point: *opens for the season.*

Ohio:

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

Well the police weren't quite blocking it when I came around but I should have known better than to try the Chaussee. Definitely got to wash my car tomorrow. And even if it dries up, the potholes are absolutely horrific right now. If you are the kinda person that didn't follow the no Cedar Point traffic sign like me, the price will be paid with the road condition, I truly have to settle for the causeway now.

Sacrificing playing video games to ride roller coasters.

I made a quick trip to the park this evening and there is quite a bit of water standing in the marina parking lot and the beach is a mess from the NE winds. The beach is going to take a lot of ongoing work to keep it clean looking all summer. It appeared that the waves were coming all the way up to the boardwalk yesterday.

Steve Shives

The water levels are definitely higher, as I came in the Chaussee on Saturday, I definitely noticed the water level being much higher.

Wind needs to shift to the east and we need a good 2-3 weeks of dry weather.

πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

The community I work in sits on a river that flows into Lake Huron... It's getting better now, but the flooding got bad enough to declare a state of emergency... I'm hoping things fare better for those lower down in the system...

And who said global warming isn’t a thing?

Just Coasting said:

Wind needs to shift to the east and we need a good 2-3 weeks of dry weather.

What we really need are the winds to shift to the southwest and push the water back to the deeper part of the lake to the east. An east wind still pushes water into the western basin. Dry weather will help a little but we havent even gotten to the normal high water period of the season in June. There are high water levels in the upper great lakes that all need to make its way down through Erie.

Steve Shives

Steve, I'm not certain, but I believe Just Coasting meant the wind coming from west to east. I understood what you meant by an east wind, the wind would come from east to west. Winds from the southwest, or 240 on the wind gauge, would indeed be helpful, sending the water towards Buffalo.

On a side note, a couple days ago it looked like the boats in the CP Marina could float right into the parking lot, several cars parked in the lot were up to their wheel wells.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service