Gemini being removed? ... Wildcat coming back?

I do like Steel Vengeance ;)
Who doesn't?

I guess you two missed the part where I put a big IF, hence, saying it's not likely.

I do get what you're saying. Although it doesn't sound like it due to my poor wording. I've only ridden Gemini 3 or so times this season, and it's not too rough.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

If it were up to me, Gemini would be replaced with an awesome dueling coaster that actually races. Lightning Racers is a great example. That is a ride where you never actually know which side will win and there are tons of flybys, crossovers and very different rides on each side. Plus, there are no trims to slow down one side more than the other. I understand Gemini gets lines on some Saturdays, but, if it were replaced with something more technologically advanced, I wouldn't shed a tear. Before Magnum, I LOVED Gemini. Now I only ride it if someone asks me to. It's just not really that fun. I'm not holding my breath on them removing it, but, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did...especially if it draws people away from SV.

^

Well Said.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

Gemini and Magnum are two rides I am desperately clinging to, because they're in the most danger and I enjoy both of them a great deal. Magnum doesn't have much of a queue these days - I've ridden it 4-5 times in a row before deciding to move on - but the tunnels, the raw power and roughness of the ride, and the pretzel by Lake Erie is unparalleled (plus, love not having to wait in a long line!) Gemini also has the advantage of a shorter line, and being one of the very few wooden coasters. Not only do I find the ride very enjoyable and different from steel roller coasters, what I love most is the racing aspect. Both cars are rooting to win and taunting each other, and I love when the cars pass each other and everyone stretches out their hands for a high five... would be very sad to see either go.

Corkscrew, Wicked Twister, and Iron Dragon would be my picks to replace in that order. ID would still be sad because I like being on the water and I like VR mode, but I'm hardly ever at the park when they do the VR.

Zoug68 said:
Before Magnum, I LOVED Gemini. Now I only ride it if someone asks me to. It's just not really that fun.

It may not be that fun to you anymore, but it’s a great coaster for kids who aren’t ready to try the larger scream machines.

I never considered Magnum “in danger” considering it’s still pulling in 1 million+ riders a season. I would be willing to bet the park would invest money in a retrace before removal. Yes, it is not a comfortable ride for a lot of people, but the history behind it is too fine.

Quick aside back to Wildcat, but it is actually operating to this day:

https://rcdb.com/12205.htm

Just to clarify, Gemini is NOT a wooden coaster, it, like the Mine Ride use the same tubular steel track that all Arrow coasters use. They just use wooden trestle work instead of steel pylons.

sirloin said:
Quick aside back to Wildcat, but it is actually operating to this day:

https://rcdb.com/12205.htm

That’s the original CP Wildcat. The second Wildcat that was removed at the beginning of this decade was scrapped.

I still would put money on both Magnum and Gemini still being around 10 years from now. Not necessarily my life savings, but I’d be willing to bet more than pocket change that those two rides aren’t going anywhere soon.

Killian said:

Gemini and Magnum are two rides I am desperately clinging to, because they're in the most danger and I enjoy both of them a great deal. Magnum doesn't have much of a queue these days - I've ridden it 4-5 times in a row before deciding to move on

Magnum was #4 on the list of rides with the highest ridership in 2018. Just because the lines are short doesn't mean it isn't giving a lot of rides.

I hope they have a plan for Corkscrew. That ride is too painful and jarring to enjoy anymore for me. Myself and people I go with just act like it's not there and ride everything else. Either they re-track it, get new trains/better wheels, or scrap it. Sorry Corkie.

As for Gemini, I still love to ride, better when it's racing. I love how the station still has that 70's retro look!

If they have some wood leftover from Mean Streak, they could reverse RMC Corkscrew... That should make it smoother than Arrow tubing.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Every Arrow looper is rough. I personally won't ride them anymore, but, I see a lot of kids who seem to enjoy them in every park that I visit that has one.

Do people realize you can't just "retrack" a steel coaster?

Steel coasters can be retracked. Raptor has had its cobra roll completely replaced in the past. Magnum's third drop was reprofiled to remove an uncomfortable element and add trim brakes for the second half of the ride. Typically the level of retracking that I've seen is the rails removed and new rails are welded, especially in the higher stress areas like bottoms of major drops.

While I'm sure the rides have gotten little bit rougher over time because of the wear on the rails and trains, I also think our expectations and tolerances as riders have changed. With the newer rides that are engineered around the rider's heartline and smoother transitions we compare those newer rides to the older ones and perceive them as very rough. I remember how shocked I was at MF's smoothness on my very first ride and couldn't believe how rough Magnum was in comparison.

Eating my own words now!

I know that Magnum has had some reprofiling. I guess the way I look at it is that a wooden coaster with fantastic elements can often age into a rough ride without track care. Putting new rails on Corkscrew will not change the fact that it's Corkscrew.

When was Raptor's cobra roll replaced??

Cartwright said:

Do people realize you can't just "retrack" a steel coaster?

I know you already ate your words on this, but...

https://rcdb.com/897.htm Python on Efteling was a Vekoma looper (same track as Arrow) that recently had about 90% of the ride retracked by a Belgium company called CSM. So there's that.

Great Nor'easter at Morey's also recently had all but the lift and brake run retracked by Vekoma.

So it's possible if CF thought it would be worth the investment. But honestly, IMO removal and replacement with something new would be better in my opinion. I could see a small family GG woodie there with 2 new flats and really create a new midway for the park, similar to how the Gemini midway was redone. Plenty of options if and when CP decides to replace Corkscrew. All rides have a finite lifespan, so it really is just a matter of time.

WolfBobs said:

I could see a small family GG woodie there with 2 new flats and really create a new midway for the park, similar to how the Gemini midway was redone.

Ooooooh, a gravity group family coaster would go well there. As much as I like that the park has a small looping coaster for my kids, a gravity group wooden coaster would be a worthy replacement.

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service