Gemini being removed? ... Wildcat coming back?

In the loop Podcast reported a rumor that Gemini could be on the list of rides being removed after next season.

Reasons.... drop in ridership. Cost to operate. Cost for maintenance. Age.

The removal would open a lot of space in the back.

Another rumor is that Cedar Point is considering bringing back Wildcat for 2020.

Meh.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Gemini isn't going anywhere. Wildcat, that one may be possible. And I don't think ITL is a very reliable source.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Did they say if this is this a rumor based on information, or just conjecture? Agree that Gemini is on a valuable plot of land in terms of expansion, but I'm not sure why its operational costs are that high. They only run both sides when the crowd is large enough to justify it, so when they run only one train, they only need 3 or 4 ride ops to run it.

As for Wildcat, I enjoyed the ride, but I'd be very surprised if they re-assembled a low-capacity ride like that, especially given its history.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

They could reduce Gemini's operating costs by bringing back the third red train. Then, assuming they modify operations and train up the crew to run all three, they could run three trains at times when now they have to run four...

Using the usual signals of long-term maintenance, it appears that Gemini and Mine Ride are both at least somewhat safe at this time. I know what they did to Witches Wheel, but repainting all the cars on the ride is somewhat less of a commitment than proactively replacing all of the lumber in a gigantic timber structure.

Gemini is more likely to get renovated with a new control system, except that it can literally run forever on its current PLC-less hardware and Iron Dragon, with its obsolete PLC, can not (I presume by now it's running off of spare parts scavenged from Magnum).

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Dvo said:

...but I'm not sure why its operational costs are that high.

I'm not saying it's going anywhere anytime soon, but maintaining the wood structure is costly.

Brandon

I could see Wildcat coming back only as a re-used "retro" theme. Probably a new wild mouse coaster just using the Wildcat name and retro logo. But I'm sure at this point the original (2nd) Wildcat coaster has long been scrapped. I actually wouldn't mind this. A mouse on the site of the old dive stadium could be nice.

Gemini? I won't be the one to say never cause all rides will eventually be removed, I doubt this would happen for any 2020 expansion. Maybe 2030...2040. lol I just don't see this happening. While Gemini may be inching closer to an inevitable day on the chopping block I personally believe Corkscrew, Iron Dragon or Wicked Twister would see it first.

I, too, thought Wildcat was scrapped after it's removal. Bringing the name back for a new coaster would be cool though.

As much as the mouses are great family rides, I don't see CP adding one. They are just brutally low-capacity rides.

It was indeed scrapped:

The WildCat will be removed from the park prior to opening day of the 2012 season on Saturday, May 12. The roller coaster will be sent to a recycling facility.

Brandon

Wildcat was certainly a fun, albeit unremarkable ride, butI just can’t see it coming back, even if Cedar Point were to be able to find a model for sale. It was very carnival-esque, and it along with Disaster Transport, were the two rides that really started sticking out like sore thumbs. Wildcat just didn’t fit in with Cedar Point anymore. So to our hopefuls... don’t get your hopes up.

As for Gemini, I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon. It’s massively popular.

Last edited by CPVet,

Gemini is still quite popular. I would estimate that by raw numbers, it's approximately on par with TTD. Even though Gemini has the operating costs of two coasters, I imagine 2 Arrow mine trains are not more expensive to run than one of the largest hydraulic launches in the world, especially when it shares parts to an extent with all the other Arrows except Iron Dragon. (Ever noticed the "wrong" color brake caliper on one of the arrows?)

Last edited by GigaG,

I hope not. I for one adore Gemini, not just because I'm fond of racers in general but I think the layout is one of the most fun in the park, from the deceptively terrifying-looking headchoppers (I still instinctively duck a bit even though I know my head's not going anywhere) to the hold-on-to-your-neck helix at the end- I know no coaster lasts forever but I'll be damn sad if I see the day it's Gemini's turn to go.

As for the Wildcat, as it's impossible to get the old one back, I wouldn't mind seeing a coaster of its type built with its layout and feel in mind (complete with little four-seater hot-rod cars), as it doesn't have that big of a footprint and CP could use a wild mouse-style coaster. Families, both adults and kids alike, would love it.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Sollybeast said:

I hope not. I for one adore Gemini, not just because I'm fond of racers in general but I think the layout is one of the most fun in the park, from the deceptively terrifying-looking headchoppers (I still instinctively duck a bit even though I know my head's not going anywhere) to the hold-on-to-your-neck helix at the end- I know no coaster lasts forever but I'll be damn sad if I see the day it's Gemini's turn to go.

As for the Wildcat, as it's impossible to get the old one back, I wouldn't mind seeing a coaster of its type built with its layout and feel in mind (complete with little four-seater hot-rod cars), as it doesn't have that big of a footprint and CP could use a wild mouse-style coaster. Families, both adults and kids alike, would love it.

The closest thing on the market to Wildcat is a Gerstlauer Bobsled - basically a twisted Wild Mouse variant. (Some companies produce Zyklon/Galaxi type coasters, but I don't think CP would get one of those... they're more janky than Wildcat ever was.)

If CP doesn't insist on seatbelts as usual, it's possible to design a single-car coaster to dispatch obnoxiously fast (with the proper amount of block brakes.) Disney (Animal Kingdom in Florida has a double spinning mouse and California Adventure has a single non-spinning mouse) and Europa Park (Matterhorn Blitz) successfully run Wild Mice.

Last edited by GigaG,

RMC Gemini.

GigaG said:

The closest thing on the market to Wildcat is a Gerstlauer Bobsled...

I feel like Mack's is a closer representation. And not too bad capacity-wise, either, at 1,120/hour. Plus, Knott's Coast Rider has a family friendly height requirement of 44" with a 52" companion.

Brandon

MForce411 said:

RMC Gemini.

Gemini and Mine Ride were total hipsters with that whole steel track on wood supports thing. They aren't impressed with Steel Vengeance.

https://overcast.fm/+YHqJZrmM

Starts about 57 minutes into the show.
Rumor - 2020 is last year for Gemini.

1. Needs new control system
2. Does not run in racing mode often
3. Left side of track gets much more use;so wear is uneven .

Gemini still looks pretty good for a 40 year old coaster. I just can't imagine it going anywhere anytime soon, nor should it. I think of the existing coaster line-up Corkscrew would be the one most likely to be retired next, but even that one I don't see happening in the next few years.

I think a modern wild mouse located in the right area of the park (i.e. Planet Snoopy) could be just fine capacity wise. As pointed out above capacity could hit +/- 1,100/hr which is actually better than Maverick and just below Valravn. The beauty of CP is that it would have 17 or so other coasters to disperse riders unlike some parks which only have 5-7 coasters including the Mouse. If they get a Mouse I hope they would keep the height to 40 or 42" or so can ride with an adult. Add another family attraction to the line-up which is never a bad thing.

^ We all know that a wild mouse at Cedar Point would have a 48” height restriction, seat belts in addition to lap bars, and probably a locker-only loose article policy for good measure.

Last edited by CPVet,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service