Cedar Point Police - Cell Phone Debate

There is no aspect of this enforcement that makes people like that park more. What a disaster it would be. It looks like their hands are tied to a certain extent.

^What a great solution... tie people’s hands!!

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Just Coasting said:
I have been to Cedar Point 30+ times in 2018, I have never seen a security guard or police officer in a station or a queue of a ride.

I rode Steel Vengeance 10 times over this past weekend, and saw police roaming the lines every time. On one of those, they were in the station on the exit platform.

A rule without a penalty for breaking it is just advice. And ultimately, the enforcement (or lack thereof) is part of the overall policy.

I'm all for enforcing the rules.

Just as long as they don't apply to me. ; >

Personally I don't see a problem with removing someone from the park if they have their cell phone out on a roller coaster. I'm of the vain that people have the mindset that they won't get in much trouble, even if they're caught doing it. So there's nothing stopping them. I think JustCoasting's TOTAL WITCH HUNT is a little excessive, but I'm not against some stronger enforcement than they're currently doing.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

But Cedar Point isn’t a high school - word isn’t going to spread like wildfire that their enforcement is getting more strict. The idea that this would solve the problem any substantial amount just isn’t going to happen.

It would just piss a whole lot of people off, and as another poster said, there goes a guest with money still in their pocket being told to leave the park, for something that, let’s face it, is not that big of a deal.

I’m glad that Cedar Point feels the same way I do.

Last edited by CPVet,

So it's not that big of a deal to stop a ride and inconvenience other guests on the ride and waiting in line? Giving them criminal charges is very extreme (unless another guest got hurt from their phone flying out of their hands) but I don't see a problem with removing someone from the park. They already paid their admission. At worst they just lose a $15 hamburger sale and maybe a little more for souvenir purchases and just from a handful of offenders. Having such a policy would deter it from happening further. I don't think it would make people stop going to the park, only people who had any intention of video recording or taking selfies on ride which would be a very tiny percentage.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

They already have the stockades in frontiertown, perhaps locking them in them for punishment?

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

CP can generate revenue by charging guests for spoiled fruits and vegetables to throw at them!

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

I don't think the park should rely on word of mouth for people to know that the rules are being enforced. Having a sign at the entrance for the high-intensity attractions saying that pulling a phone out will result in removal from the park would get the message across. They could even put out a press release explaining why they're doing it.

At the end of the day, the only people that they're really angering with a policy like that are the.01% of guests who feel the need to get their phones out on high-intensity roller coasters. I don't think that's a big loss, and it's a win for the riders who are worried about getting smacked in the face with an iPhone, rather than being able to enjoy their ride.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Rode Slinky Dog Dash at Disney’s Hollywood Studios the other day... took a selfie with my son in station.

Cast member: “you can record on the ride, just make sure you keep the phone down inside the car while on the ride...”

I put my phone away, because I wanted to enjoy my ride. Totally different operations. Not advocating for either one, just crazy opposite.

Last edited by Tilt-a-Whirl,

The Disney coasters are pretty much just family rides, you won't find the intensity of a Steel Vengeance, Maverick or Magnum for example. If Steel Vengeance was a Disney ride I doubt they would allow on ride videos.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Family rides or not, the physics are 100% there for a phone to become a dangerous, loose object.

The same rules apply to Rock n Roller Coaster as Big Thunder Mountain. Record away. Granted, RnRC is not TTD, but it’s by no means a kiddy ride.

Last edited by CPVet,

I once rode Rock N Roller Coaster next to a guy who had a full sized rolling suitcase in his lap (over the harmess). The Cast Member simply said "hold on to it"

Another time I rode Everest next to a woman who held her cup of coffee (with a lid) the entire ride.

To me that says more about how uninteresting the Disney coasters are than it does anything about the carry-on policies on Cedar Point rides.

^^ CF should adapt a similar suitcase policy and charge a carry-on fee.

Halfway there...they already charge more for Priority Boarding.

Gemini 100- 6/11/01

To me it does seem silly to tell people not to take out their phones then stop the ride each and every time someone takes out their phone and there are no consequences. Either don’t worry about the phones or make consequences.

Grinding the process to a halt is bad for everyone, while citing the offender is bad for one person. Which do they decide is a better choice.

I suppose at the end of the day all they really worry about is the safety of the ride and if they can accomplish it without calling the police and only taking the phone for a few minutes that’s all they care to do.

First ride; Magnum 1994

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service