Park is closed. The beagle out front shoulda toldja.

Park is closed today at 2PM per the park Twitter.

https://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/1038844070083350528

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

With all the flood warnings issued ahead of time for today this doesn't surprise me although I was expecting things to be worse where I am than they have been so far.

Agreed. They made it sound like it was going to be a monsoon, but here in Cleveland it's just been a steady rain. Might see some minor flooding but hopefully nothing too bad.

Cool move of the park to honor today's tickets for another day.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Gotta make everyone whole

What a joke,

Management should have made a cancelation on Saturday.

Let see, 100% chance of rain forecast, left over hurricane, time to close don't you think.

Management at Cedar Point failed today, that is Jason McClure.

Never took into account patron safety, just the almighty U.S. dollar.

Anyone that went into Cedar Point today should receive money for fuel and their time.

Making the people that actually came to the park today "Whole" should be Paramount.

Yeah. The Twitter folks aren’t too happy. “I want a refund! They’re just closing the park band cause of low attendance. I’ve already been on SV 3 times, Millennium Force 4 times, Raptor 4 times, etc. But I still want a refund!”

The GP cracks me up

It is not about closing the park early, forecast was there, time for management to accept responsibility for their inaction.

If the park made a preemptive decision to close yesterday, you would find something to complain about.

It's so easy for you to play backseat driver while playing anonymously on the interwebs. When in reality you have no factual idea what lead to the decision to open today or to close early.

Last edited by Lash,

Just Coasting said:

Anyone that went into Cedar Point today should receive money for fuel and their time.

The asinine qualities of this statement made me laugh so hard I literally spit out a sip of water. How on earth do you decide how to hand out these hypothetical checks? And what is the hourly reimbursement for time? Because if so, it took me 8 hours and three tanks of gas to show up today.

Closing for lack of attendance isn't exactly a far-fetched thought... some parks are infamous for doing it like Six Flags Great Adventure. I've had Great Adventure (multiple times), Lake Compounce, and Kennywood close early due to a storm that ended up passing or not being that awful. Also, weren't the storms clearing up when the park closed?

That said, kudos for CP for making everybody "whole" - that's not a joke. They have no obligation to do it - the fine print says "no rainchecks or refunds" - but they seem very good about voluntarily doing it when days go sour due to weather or infrastructure failure. (Kennywood did that too earlier this year, not sure about LC or GAdv.)

Last edited by GigaG,

Just Coasting said:
What a joke,

Let see, 100% chance of rain forecast, left over hurricane, time to close don't you think.

There was no safety issue, I don't get that comment at all. Rides were running, guests were riding, CP hardly ever closes for weather. I don't blame them at all for closing for low attendance, the crowd was about as small as I've seen. This was not a management fail, I commend them for opening and operating for awhile for guests that did decide to show up. Good job CP.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Just Coasting said:

What a joke,

No

Because weather forecasts are always 100% accurate, right?

Huh?

Please explain this alleged lack of "safety". Actually don't.

Do you live in an alternate universe? Have you ever been to a baseball game that was rained out? Did they give you gas money?

Making the people that actually came to the park today "Whole" should be Paramount.

Ok, you're just trolling aren't you?

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Either that or he thinks we should all go back to 2006 so Paramount Parks can make us whole

I would imagine most people in the park today were either resort guest with already booked stays or pass holders hoping for occasional breaks in the weather in a dead park. I decided several days ago based on the information available that today would not be a good day to go so I didn't waste my time or money driving there. For the single day ticket holders who made the attempt today for whatever reason I think being able to reuse the ticket another day is decent compensation. They were taking a risk. The park shouldn't have to close ahead of time to make sure people don't waste time and gas money driving when it should be obvious that the day has a very high likelihood of sucking. It made perfect sense to at least attempt the day for the sake of the resort guests who were already tied to this particular date because up to a certain point there was probably a possibility of the area of rainfall shifting a bit and that chance the park could get lucky. Last week the park stayed dry while we all stood there in Shores watching the storm go right by us. Mainland got it, peninsula got nothing.

They closed early so that everyone could watch the thrilling Browns victory over the Steelers........errrrrrrrr, the Steelers victory over the Browns........errrrrr a tie is so unfulfilling. If Browns ownership had to make their fans whole for the last 18 years they would be in trouble.

The Browns winless streak is still intact.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

But the losing streak ended!!

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Just Coasting said:

What a joke,

Bull. I was there Saturday afternoon, aside from a light sprinkle and threatening skies nearly every ride was running and the place was packed full of company picnic guests, honestly deceptively crowded despite the forecast. I still waited 1.5 hours for Steel Vengeance and almost every major coaster had waits of an hour plus for most of the day. The rain really didn't start rolling in til 8:30 by which point most people were heading out anyway. I don't know what the heck you're going for.

Closing early based on actual conditions isn't remotely the same thing as closing based on a forecast.

On the radar for much of the time Sandusky has been at the edge of the mass of rain. Had it settled in slightly more to the east than it did before it became pretty much stationary there was a chance the park could have had enough breaks in the weather for it to work out. I really don't think they could have made that call yesterday. As of yesterday I was still under the impression I would be wearing rain boots to do may laundry in the basement but things shifted to my advantage. Sometimes you just can't tell exactly how it's going to be until it happens.

I am not critical of the decision on this specific day as I am not privy to all the information the park has but in general closing early can cause several problems.

First guests traveling from even a couple of hours away will more closely question if it is worth the risk on days with questionable forecasts. Not only do they have to deal with the weather variable but the likelihood the park will close.

Second is employee retention. Those traveling to work fall weekends may question if it is worth the risk of making the trip if their hours are likely to get cut becuase the weather forecast is questionable. Maybe a more stable local employment option would be better.

It does seem like KI has closed early more often this season than in years past. I hope this doesn’t become a more frequent trend to cut costs in the short term.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service