Meijer scraps plans to build on former Geauga Lake property

Feel free to move, thought some might be interested in this:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/meijer-scraps-plans-to-build-...e-property

Clearly they were scared off by the restore Geauga Lake Gofundme, which at this point has raised $1254.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

I wonder what the main reason is for why development hasn't taken place. Cedar Fair charging too much?

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

^^ lmao
^ that seems to be the issue lately with CF ;)

I’m going with development going through Bainbridge is more difficult than it needs to be.

Maverick since '99

Maverick is somewhat right, although Aurora is much more of a pain/problem than Bainbridge. Neither city can decide what they want to be done and thus any development ideas that have come through have pretty much been blown apart before they've gained any sort of traction.

A city’s inability to make a decision sounds like a polite way of explaining systemic corruption to me.

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

Not to start conspiracy theories, but I wonder if the park would still be there if Cedar Fair never bought it.

If you think it’s a conspiracy against that park, why did they not alternately or also shut down Kings Island.?

Geauga lake was financially unviable that’s why it was shut down after multiple owners tried to revive it.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

^I also believe Six Flags overexpanding the park and mismanaging that overexpansion turned the community against the park, and its reputation never recovered.

XS NightClub said:
If you think it’s a conspiracy against that park, why did they not alternately or also shut down Kings Island.?

Geauga lake was financially unviable that’s why it was shut down after multiple owners tried to revive it.

Small parks with a focus on water parks seems to work fine for Holiday World and Waldameer. Losing Sea World hurt most.

Maverick since '99

https://www.abandonedspaces.com/parks/geauga-lake.html

Holiday and Waldameer?
GL was the largest theme park in the world.
As stated above, over expansion was likely the biggest problem.

I've heard that GL was supposedly the largest theme park in the world a few times with 550 acres but it sure didn't feel like it. I think they must have included the lake in those statistics. The Sea World side seemed like it was around 50 acres and the rides side maybe double that. I always took the "world's largest park" claims with a large grain of salt.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Would that be the "world's largest grain of salt"?

I’ve heard that claim as well. Did they include both SW & GL parking lots in that claim? CP is said to be 364 acres and “feels” bigger than SFWoA did in my solo visit in 2003. But does that 364 acres include parking lots?

ROUNDABOUND.

I believe CP is the whole peninsula; main lot, cps lot, marina lot, marina, hotels, cabins, RV sites and beach.

Yeah it is the whole peninsula. I did a rough measurement for an argument I had with the wife about CP size v. Magic Kingdom size (FYI they are close in total area, CP is like 150 acres on the dry park side and MK is around 120 acres).

Geauga had the record because of the land they owned north of the park too. As for developed land it wasn’t very big at all.

Maverick since '99

#bringbackthebigdipper

The day after I heard the news about Meijer backing out of the former GL property, it was announced that a Meijer would be going in the old spot where our local Super Kmart was. So that’s exciting....

I truly am skeptical about the future of this property. Anybody know what it’s zoned for?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service